Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheist Mega Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Yes.
    Shuny is his own favorite author, and understandably so!

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    wait... you actually READ Shuny's posts?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Who?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Shunya's reply to this is not wholly wrong. A UU church is basically church for atheists/agnostics.
    Yeah, I was all excited cause I could finally amen one of his posts, then he digresses into dialogue that's not productive nor meaningful about dialogue being not productive nor meaningful.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
    I could see going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but going to an "atheist church" just seems bizarre.
    Shunya's reply to this is not wholly wrong. A UU church is basically church for atheists/agnostics.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    "productive dialogue" = anything that kisses Shuny's tukhus.
    "productive or meaningful" = only stuff Shyny agrees with

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The Unitarian Universalist Church is basically a humanist secular church that has a foundation doctrine of the Humanist Manifesto. In summary it is an atheist/agnostic belief system that does allow a diversity of beliefs in its congregation, but few theists if any are involved with the church.

Churches are just a western name for places of worship, and trying to differentiate which beliefs are suitable to use the word 'church' is not productive nor meaningful.

The dominate mockery, and ridicule I see in reviewing this thread is Christians mocking and ridiculing atheist, which is par for course here. I do not see a productive dialogue here, which is again normal here.
    "productive dialogue" = anything that kisses Shuny's tukhus.
    "productive or meaningful" = only stuff Shyny agrees with

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    I could see going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but going to an "atheist church" just seems bizarre.
    The Unitarian Universalist Church is basically a humanist secular church that has a foundation doctrine of the Humanist Manifesto. In summary it is an atheist/agnostic belief system that does allow a diversity of beliefs in its congregation, but few theists if any are involved with the church.

Churches are just a western name for places of worship, and trying to differentiate which beliefs are suitable to use the word 'church' is not productive nor meaningful. Some dictionary definitions define church as a Christian building or place of worship. Other definitons simply define it broadly as 'a place of worship.

The dominate mockery, and ridicule I see in reviewing this thread is Christians mocking and ridiculing atheists, which is par for course here. I do not see a productive dialogue here, which is again normal here.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-25-2016, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I imagine they are like going to a large motivational seminar.

Leave a comment:

• stfoskey15
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    or like mossy said, at a church like Osteen's, which is more about "me me me" than God.
    It's not just "me me me". It's how to be a BETTER me!

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    It doesn't seem like mockery to me...if anything, it seems like more of a compliment. "Hey, maybe this church thing isn't such a bad idea after all...."

I do wonder what they sing about, though.
    watch the video at the beginning of the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    It doesn't seem like mockery to me...if anything, it seems like more of a compliment. "Hey, maybe this church thing isn't such a bad idea after all...."

I do wonder what they sing about, though.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Well, they follow the "formula" of a non-liturgical Protestant church. It's probably nearly indistinguishable from what you'd get at a Unitarian Universalist church.
    or like mossy said, at a church like Osteen's, which is more about "me me me" than God.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Who follow the "formula" of church, even down to the hymns. Right. They want to imitate church. But without God. They want what church offers but without God. It doesn't work that way. Church is about worshiping God, not humanity. Without God, it is just a big sad, back-patting party.

2 Timothy 3:3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
    Well, they follow the "formula" of a non-liturgical Protestant church. It's probably nearly indistinguishable from what you'd get at a Unitarian Universalist church.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X