Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheist Mega Churches

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
    I could see going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but going to an "atheist church" just seems bizarre.
    The Unitarian Universalist Church is basically a humanist secular church that has a foundation doctrine of the Humanist Manifesto. In summary it is an atheist/agnostic belief system that does allow a diversity of beliefs in its congregation, but few theists if any are involved with the church.

    Churches are just a western name for places of worship, and trying to differentiate which beliefs are suitable to use the word 'church' is not productive nor meaningful. Some dictionary definitions define church as a Christian building or place of worship. Other definitons simply define it broadly as 'a place of worship.

    The dominate mockery, and ridicule I see in reviewing this thread is Christians mocking and ridiculing atheists, which is par for course here. I do not see a productive dialogue here, which is again normal here.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-25-2016, 08:54 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The Unitarian Universalist Church is basically a humanist secular church that has a foundation doctrine of the Humanist Manifesto. In summary it is an atheist/agnostic belief system that does allow a diversity of beliefs in its congregation, but few theists if any are involved with the church.

      Churches are just a western name for places of worship, and trying to differentiate which beliefs are suitable to use the word 'church' is not productive nor meaningful.

      The dominate mockery, and ridicule I see in reviewing this thread is Christians mocking and ridiculing atheist, which is par for course here. I do not see a productive dialogue here, which is again normal here.
      "productive dialogue" = anything that kisses Shuny's tukhus.
      "productive or meaningful" = only stuff Shyny agrees with
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        "productive dialogue" = anything that kisses Shuny's tukhus.
        "productive or meaningful" = only stuff Shyny agrees with
        wait... you actually READ Shuny's posts?

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
          I could see going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but going to an "atheist church" just seems bizarre.
          Shunya's reply to this is not wholly wrong. A UU church is basically church for atheists/agnostics.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Shunya's reply to this is not wholly wrong. A UU church is basically church for atheists/agnostics.
            Yeah, I was all excited cause I could finally amen one of his posts, then he digresses into dialogue that's not productive nor meaningful about dialogue being not productive nor meaningful.
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              wait... you actually READ Shuny's posts?
              Who?
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                wait... you actually READ Shuny's posts?
                Yes.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

                go with the flow the river knows . . .

                Frank

                I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  Yes.
                  Shuny is his own favorite author, and understandably so!
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment

                  widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X