Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheist Mega Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    I remember how in the weeks leading up to me becoming a christian I became obsessed with trying to prove it wrong. Oh boy. Old and new testament history sure showed me.
    I had a similar experience as a new Christian trying to prove that the Trinity was not to be found in the Bible. The Bible showed me.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The entire mysterious ways thingie
    Yeah, and the Lutheran Pastor with whose congregation we share our Church building married a Baptist girl! So, the Cosmos is back in balance.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I got slapped on the hand once by a Lutheran sunday school worker in Lutheran Vacation Bible School. I was 6 or 7 years old. I hated Lutherans!

(Then, probably because God has a sense of humor, I met the girl of my dreams and married her -- and, yeah, she was a Lutheran )
    The entire mysterious ways thingie

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    I think they are in pain. Something about God hurt them. They lash back and they tangle themselves in existential barb wire.
    I got slapped on the hand once by a Lutheran sunday school worker in Lutheran Vacation Bible School. I was 6 or 7 years old. I hated Lutherans!

(Then, probably because God has a sense of humor, I met the girl of my dreams and married her -- and, yeah, she was a Lutheran )

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    I think they are in pain. Something about God hurt them. They lash back and they tangle themselves in existential barb wire.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    I think they are just afraid and rather than accepting a helping hand they want to sulk miserably while desperatly disparingly hoping to find someone who can show them answers.
    They fear God because hus existance makes them feel vulnerable. They try to hide this vulnerability by using "logic" or "cosmology" or as Uncle screwtape would put it "Jargon dear boy. Jargon is our ally".

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    I think they are mocking Christians.
    I think it's all about the almighty dollar -- they can't defeat (so far) the tax exempt status of the Church, so they're going after "us too".

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    I remember how in the weeks leading up to me becoming a christian I became obsessed with trying to prove it wrong. Oh boy. Old and new testament history sure showed me.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    When you think about it, a lot of atheists are just as centered around God as Christians are. They spend their entire lives obsessed with religion, while denying God. They lecture about religion, write books, hang out on theology forums like this, and now even start churches. They are desperate for God yet can't admit it. So they hang around the outside of the camp, trying to imitate religion, while having sour grapes about the whole thing.

When I dont believe in something I just ignore it. I dont hang around UFO or Bigfoot forums, or write books about them, or start clubs that deny UFOs or Bigfoot.

how many anti-unicornists do you see?
    I don't disagree with you. But I think this is just another way for God to be mocked by unbelievers. Especially when they say they want ways to engage with the community in a faith dominated landscape. The landscape is anything BUT faith dominated. The landscape is totally ruled by unbelief.

They are sad because they are blind and lost, but I don't think they are seeking God by starting up their own "churches".

They could likely go to any mega-"church" like that run by Osteen or Warren and find community and the same level of unbelief. Just couched in less palatable terms to their ears.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    When you think about it, a lot of atheists are just as centered around God as Christians are. They spend their entire lives obsessed with religion, while denying God. They lecture about religion, write books, hang out on theology forums like this, and now even start churches. They are desperate for God yet can't admit it. So they hang around the outside of the camp, trying to imitate religion, while having sour grapes about the whole thing.

When I dont believe in something I just ignore it. I dont hang around UFO or Bigfoot forums, or write books about them, or start clubs that deny UFOs or Bigfoot.

Yeah, when you see the "atheists" who spend large amounts of time on our website fighting Christians.... sheeesh

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Sparko I think you and me have a similiar hypothesis.

Leave a comment:

• TheWall
    replied
    Atheism always seemed to me like an existential crisis. They need help but are to afraid and or to stubborn to ask God for the help they need.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Last edited by Sparko; 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I think they are mocking Christians.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Satan always tries to counterfeit what God does.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X