Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Another Demon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Demon thread

http://www.sott.net/article/151935-A...nic-Possession

Think Dr. Gallagher would be willing to take a lie detector test (or a couple more)?

[EDIT: I don't know if he lying or not since I am not so sure I can establish a motive for lying and it does seem to jeopardize his career a bit.]
    Last edited by Quantum Weirdness; 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM.
    -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
    Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
    Sir Isaac Newton

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post

Think Dr. Gallagher would be willing to take a lie detector test (or a couple more)?
    funny story. actually,sometimes liars can pass liar detector tests. i feel justified in dismissing him out of hand, and no flimsy evidence like a polygraph test will convince me this happened.

did you ever notice that demons sound JUST LIKE homosapiens with tortured minds? apparently, sometimes they bark and bay, too.

one wonders why the demons did not flee at the multiple mentions of Jesus, while in Licona's friend's case, the demon boogied the instant god was mentioned. he must have been an overly sensitive ghoul in need of some self-confidence. in contrast, the demons described in the Gallagher tale are positively GANGSTA. the sum of these accounts and what they tell us is a profound variable in assessing the truth of these claims. unsurprisingly, they're fraught with contradictions. the tellers also tend to hem and haw when you begin to ask questions about demonic tactics and motive.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post

[EDIT: I don't know if he lying or not since I am not so sure I can establish a motive for lying and it does seem to jeopardize his career a bit.]
      1) Polygraph tests don't actually work, so I don't really see why it matters.

2) What exactly makes you think he's lying? Demonic possessions, while an extremely rare phenomenon, do indeed happen, in every time period
      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post

Seems you're right there.
        2) What exactly makes you think he's lying? Demonic possessions, while an extremely rare phenomenon, do indeed happen, in every time period
        The stuff about levitation, supernatural knowledge etc.
        -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
        Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
        Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

for what purpose do these invasions happen?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            for what purpose do these invasions happen?
            Almost always from a consent of the will, to some degree. Sometimes in a moment of extreme weakness.
            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I always heard that demons were parasites that wanted a body with a small reminder of heaven. The reason they can't posses Christians is that the Holy Spirit is like boiling water to them or just that it's impossible to overthrow an omnipotent Person. Don't remember where I read that. Maybe on the ChristianThinktank?
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

http://christianthinktank.com/eyesopen.html Demons are scary.
                Nine, and quite sobering, are the implications of presumably superior beings. If, again looking at the historical data and at the teachings of most of religious systems, these intelligences are reputed to be more powerful than us, then the dangers of contact with and interaction with them are obvious. Not only would they have superior abilities to influence, affect, or harm us, but they also would have an epistemic advantage that goes far beyond the simple "they can see us, but we cannot see them". If some of the spirit possession/exorcism stories are true, then these would have the ability to overpower our wills, resist personal efforts to 'dislodge' it, and exert destructive forces on our minds and lives (similar to what some alters do in MPD/DID cases). Even ancestral spirits of the dead have been thought to have the ability to harm the living, as witnessed to by the vast amount of efforts to ameliorate their influence through magic and funerary cults. This factor would strongly suggest we limit our research to second-order study: critically reading the accounts and experiences of others, and avoiding direct contact with these entities ourselves. Just as we can study tornados without having to walk directly into one, so too we can learn from reliable reports, studies, and experiences of others. [We will discuss this further in our comments on shamans, who routinely profess to 'control' these spirits.]

It is interesting to note here that the three large monotheistic religions all teach that the Supreme God limits the activities of most of these 'lesser spirits', attempts to protect us from them, and discourages contact with them, giving some indication of the historical tradition of their malignancy.
                http://christianthinktank.com/ghostpower.html According to this link, demons are powerful, but stupid considering that they try to drown their host. Not a smart thing for a parasite to do. And this is the article with the discussion about the Holy Spirit being scalding hot to demons.
                Last edited by Christianbookworm; 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Almost always from a consent of the will, to some degree. Sometimes in a moment of extreme weakness.
                  No, I mean what's the purpose of the invasion? It seems all the barking and broken china would solidify the faith of the witnesses.

I wonder why we don't hear about failed exorcisms, come to think of it. The holy water and incantations always seem to do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                    No, I mean what's the purpose of the invasion? It seems all the barking and broken china would solidify the faith of the witnesses.

I wonder why we don't hear about failed exorcisms, come to think of it. The holy water and incantations always seem to do the trick.
                    They are evil parasites that don't always think things through. If they were smart enough, they'd go find something else to inhabit. And no, I don't think all serious mental conditions can be blamed on evil spirits, who are also sore losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      They are evil parasites that don't always think things through. If they were smart enough, they'd go find something else to inhabit. And no, I don't think all serious mental conditions can be blamed on evil spirits, who are also sore losers.
                      Supposedly, it's extremely important to them people remain in unbelief, yet they make a spectacle of themselves confirming their existence.

It sounds like God created these beings as mentally retarded. Strangely, he appointed them to high offices.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        http://christianthinktank.com/eyesopen.html Demons are scary.
                        http://christianthinktank.com/ghostpower.html According to this link, demons are powerful, but stupid considering that they try to drown their host. Not a smart thing for a parasite to do. And this is the article with the discussion about the Holy Spirit being scalding hot to demons.
                        I don't think that makes them stupid at all and the reason for this is that they wouldn't have the same value on life that you and I would.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Or they want us to think that. They're evil! Of course they would not care about killing people! Think the writer of the article was thinking to himself about the intellegence level and surmised that they could just be playing dumb sometimes. Guess that's why they would pick on us. They're evil!

Comment

You guys are funny. Such conjecture!
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

That answers 'how' not 'why'.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment