Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Licona Tells a Demon Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licona Tells a Demon Story

I just listened to an interview with Mike Licona. Starting at 42:20, Licona tells a story about a demon that attacked his Yale-educated friend while on a mission in China.
    It's an amazing story he's wholly convinced is true.

I think the story is false. I think it did not happen because who'd be able to hold their bladder (or bowels) while literally being strangled by a demon?

http://ia600302.us.archive.org/11/it...MikeLicona.mp3

Originally posted by whag View Post
    I think the story is false. I think it did not happen because who'd be able to hold their bladder (or bowels) while literally being strangled by a demon?
    So if the friend had held his bowels/bladder, would you think the story plausible?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      So if the friend had held his bowels/bladder, would you think the story plausible?
      he did hold it. after the demon ran off like a scaredy pants at the mention of Jesus, the dude went to the bathroom proper.

and, no. if he came back with soiled pants, I probably wouldn't believe he was choked by a demon. I brought up the bathroom bit obviously because that's a funny part of the story.

Comment

Well first tell us 1) do you believe in demons? 2) if so, have you encountered demons? 3) and if so, what kind of encounters were they?

I mean, there's no point discussing the plausibility of Licona's account if you don't believe in the existence and activity of demons.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Oh pardon me. This is whag. Never mind.

Comment

He wouldn't believe even if one of those nasty critters was right in front of him.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Some of the stories are creepy. Sure glad that God is God.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Well first tell us 1) do you believe in demons? 2) if so, have you encountered demons? 3) and if so, what kind of encounters were they?

I mean, there's no point discussing the plausibility of Licona's account if you don't believe in the existence and activity of demons.
                it raises good questions about how demons interact with humans. I didn't know you believed demons had the power of incarnation.

Comment

They don't...they possess one's body. Or an animal's body, according to an account in Scripture.

And since you didn't answer my questions....

Comment

They don't...they possess one's body. Or an animal's body, according to an account in Scripture.

And since you didn't answer my questions....
                    my belief in demons is as relevant as yours, in that you'll tend to believe a story like this because you believe in a demon army while I tend to disbelieve them because I haven't met a demon.

so you think Licona meant it was a demon possessed man. he actually didn't say that, but okay. but why does he assume a mere pissed-off Muslim can't commit such an act? why extrapolate possession from the event?

Comment

Oh pardon me. This is whag. Never mind.
                      Amen.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

First, I apologize... I don't always explain that I'm almost deaf, so audio files don't help me. I responded to you solely because I gathered you didn't believe in demons.

Secondly, why are you discussing this at all? Especially since it appears you don't know the usual Christian view about demons anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          my belief in demons is as relevant as yours, in that you'll tend to believe a story like this because you believe in a demon army while I tend to disbelieve them because I haven't met a demon.
                          You disbelieve because you disbelieve. You could really meet a demon or not, and think it was either real, or not and psychosis, and it may be either, so evidence of meeting one wouldn't really affect your disbelief if you held onto it. Unless you are saying a truly psychotic and false episode of meeting a demon would affect your belief.

Therefore such personal experience may have nothing to do with validity of belief, in truth validity could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                            You disbelieve because you disbelieve. You could really meet a demon or not, and think it was either real, or not and psychosis, and it may be either, so evidence of meeting one wouldn't really affect your disbelief if you held onto it. Unless you are saying a truly psychotic and false episode of meeting a demon would affect your belief.

Therefore such personal experience may have nothing to do with validity of belief, in truth validity could go either way.
                            And you believe because you believe. You could meet a psychotic person, and be convinced it was a demon.
                            My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                              You disbelieve because you disbelieve. You could really meet a demon or not, and think it was either real, or not and psychosis, and it may be either, so evidence of meeting one wouldn't really affect your disbelief if you held onto it. Unless you are saying a truly psychotic and false episode of meeting a demon would effect your belief
                              again, my disbelief and your belief--two opposed presuppositions--cancels out Desert Berean's objection to my bringing this up. it assumes you'll always believe a demon story now matter how spurious it appears to me, and i'll always disbelieve one no matter how convincing it sounds to you.

I agree. a possessed person's behavior would be indistinguishable from the behavior of a non-possessed psychotic person.

Comment