Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why Do the Gospels Contain Differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found a video of the lecture with better audio:

"Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver
      The label [fiction] is modern. The literary practice is ancient.
      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      But the nature of the genre is very different. The concept of deliberately writing fiction is very recent.
      I told you how I was defining fiction. If you are defining it differently, you have not yet said so.

By my definition, there is no such thing as unintentional fiction. The writer does not think he is writing a factual account and does not intend his readers to think so, either. If you are claiming that no writer in ancient times ever did such a thing, you need to support it with some evidence. Your mere say-so doesn't prove anything.

It may be comparable to writing 'historical fiction' with a deliberate purpose of communicating a religious message. It may be comparable to writing 'historical fiction' with a deliberate purpose of communicating a religious message. Josephus was a great writer of 'Historical Fiction,' containing many facts from a personal perspective of much that was not historically true.
      Josephus, so far as every Josephan scholar seems to think, believed that what he wrote was factually true. By my definition, that disqualifies his work from being fiction.

Historical fiction is no less fiction than any other kind, except to this extent: the narrative setting includes real events and, often though not always, real people. Perhaps the best modern example is Michener's novels. But, the only way we know that those events and people were real is that we have independent evidence for their reality. Absent such independent corroboration, we have no reason for thinking that a given fictional work should be regarded as historical fiction.

Comment

The parables I do not consider the beginnings of fiction, but you are correct Greek plays are probably the earliest versions of deliberate fiction.

How on earth do Aesop's fables not constitute fiction? The parables are the same thing only without animal actors.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment