Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dubious Plot and Cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Supernatural doesn't mean all powerful and omnipresent.
    Nor did I claim it did.

You do the exact same thing I do.
    Nope. And you dun it again!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I mean, I don't know why I'm bothering engaging with you. Past experience teaches me it's a largely fruitless effort. Maybe I'm nuts as well.
      You typically bow out as soon as you feel slightly exasperated. That's not really engagement.

Comment

You typically bow out as soon as you feel slightly exasperated. That's not really engagement.
        Yeah, he's more sane than a lot of us.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, he's more sane than a lot of us.
          You misspelled "of a martyr."

Comment

I don't see much point in sticking around when I see dead horses being beaten, my words twisted to suit your agenda, and/or when I see that your aim is to win the conversation rather than have a discussion.

Comment

You misspelled "of a martyr."
              Yeah, that's real engagement.

So, how did you get "all powerful and omnipresent" from my comment "but to put human constraints on a supernatural belief is ... well... hooey"?

That's a classic false dichotomy, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I don't see much point in sticking around when I see dead horses being beaten, my words twisted to suit your agenda, and/or when I see that your aim is to win the conversation rather than have a discussion.
                Your opening salvo was "I don't know why I bother." I don't care if you leave.

Comment

Yeah, that's real engagement.

So, how did you get "all powerful and omnipresent" from my comment "but to put human constraints on a supernatural belief is ... well... hooey"?

That's a classic false dichotomy, I think.
                  Supernatural doesn't mean capable of anything. Can you acknowledge any limits that demons have, besides the logistical one that I implied? If a legion inhabited one man, there appears to be a surplus of them.

Comment

Supernatural doesn't mean capable of anything.
                    And, AGAIN, I never claimed it did.

Can you acknowledge any limits that demons have, besides the logistical one that I implied?
                    If you weren't looking for a fight, you MIGHT be able to discern that I see a RANGE of capabilities -- from more than human to less than God -- in supernatural beings.

If a legion inhabited one man, there appears to be a surplus of them.
                    If a legion inhabited EVERY man, you might have a point. And "surplus" doesn't demand "billions", as you originally stated.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I find it interesting that C.S. Lewis, who was very familiar with various mythologies, found the general story arc of Christianity to be consonant with the archetypes he was familiar with. He found the stories compelling, but for their aesthetic qualities and not necessarily literalism.

I'm not trying to make a strong point here; I just find it interesting that some people can come up with opposite conclusions here.

Having said that... when we talk about "plot and cast", are we talking about, say, God/angels/demons/etc. or just "ordinary" human characters in the Bible?

I'm about to leave to work overnight so I won't respond again for awhile.
                      I think you're misrepresenting Lewis. He believed that demonic forces interacted with human beings, so you're overshooting a bit by saying he only viewed Satan and demons as archetypes and aesthetic expressions. I don't just disbelieve a hyperliteral story about an angelic rebellion; I disbelieve the core premise. I regard the personification of evil in the form of Satan as dubious, and it doesn't get any coarser than that!

Re: cast of characters, I also meant many human characters from the Bible, but let's stick with the core premise for now. That's entirely rich enough.

Comment

And, AGAIN, I never claimed it did.

If you weren't looking for a fight, you MIGHT be able to discern that I see a RANGE of capabilities -- from more than human to less than God -- in supernatural beings.

If a legion inhabited EVERY man, you might have a point. And "surplus" doesn't demand "billions", as you originally stated.
                        Fair enough. At the least, we agree that the Bible says that many demons, probably more than a dozen, interact with human beings, yes?

Comment

Fair enough. At the least, we agree that the Bible says that many demons, probably more than a dozen, interact with human beings, yes?
                          How many human beings? How many instances of this?

Comment

How many human beings? How many instances of this?
                            You tell me, pastor poke. You can't mentally access any sermons you've preached on this topic?

Comment

You tell me, pastor poke. You can't mentally access any sermons you've preached on this topic?
                              Ah, so now you're being ... um... snarky because you're not doing so good at this.

I can't recall preaching any sermons that make this ("many" demons possessing one human) a common occurrence.

YOU brought this up, Whag - don't run from it... how often in the Bible do we see this "multiple demons" possessing humans?

Comment

Ah, so now you're being ... um... snarky because you're not doing so good at this.

I can't recall preaching any sermons that make this ("many" demons possessing one human) a common occurrence.

YOU brought this up, Whag - don't run from it... how often in the Bible do we see this "multiple demons" possessing humans?
                                Snark is fun. Don't pretend you don't enjoy it.

I have no idea how many multiple demon possessions have occurred. Neither do I have any idea why more than one would be required, they being "supernatural" and all.

Comment