Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you


This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists - Really Secret Believers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Atheists - Really Secret Believers?

    You just can't keep a good God down.


    Even Atheists Intuitively Believe in a Creator: New research suggests seeing the natural world as purposefully created is our default setting.

    http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-tech...e-in-a-creator


    Since the discoveries of Darwin, evidence has gradually mounted refuting the notion that the natural world is the product of a deity or other outside designer. Yet this idea remains firmly lodged in the human brain.

    Just how firmly is the subject of newly published research, which finds even self-proclaimed atheists instinctively think of natural phenomena as being purposefully created.

    The findings “suggest that there is a deeply rooted natural tendency to view nature as designed,” writes a research team led by Elisa Järnefelt of Newman University. They also provide evidence that, in the researchers’ words, “religious non-belief is cognitively effortful.”

    Not surprisingly, the researchers found that “religious participants’ baseline tendency to endorse nature as purposefully created was higher” than that of their non-religious counterparts. More importantly, however, they found that non-religious participants “increasingly defaulted to understanding natural phenomena as purposefully made” when “they did not have time to censor their thinking.”

    So it seems that the natural default position is belief.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    You just can't keep a good God down.


    Even Atheists Intuitively Believe in a Creator: New research suggests seeing the natural world as purposefully created is our default setting.

    http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-tech...e-in-a-creator





    So it seems that the natural default position is belief.
    Plantinga will be thrilled.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmm. That would be a tough test for me. My default position is "I dunno", so I'd have to carefully examine each picture, and I wouldn't have enough time to respond, so I would completely flub the test.

      So it seems that the natural default position is belief.
      I guess I'm unnatural then.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Plantinga will be thrilled.
        Kind of goes along with Romans One.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          I guess I'm unnatural then.
          Well it's time you start following your natural inclinations! You know you want too!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by seer View Post
            Well it's time you start following your natural inclinations! You know you want too!
            Why else do you think he hangs out with us.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              Why else do you think he hangs out with us.
              Bacon, of course.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by seer View Post
                You just can't keep a good God down.


                Even Atheists Intuitively Believe in a Creator: New research suggests seeing the natural world as purposefully created is our default setting.

                http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-tech...e-in-a-creator


                So it seems that the natural default position is belief.
                Dysteleology being the default answer to flowers and fingers, your argument is invalid. This is a reach.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by whag View Post
                  Dysteleology being the default answer to flowers and fingers, your argument is invalid. This is a reach.
                  It isn't my argument. This is SCIENCE!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Well it's time you start following your natural inclinations! You know you want too!
                    Well, that's the thing. My natural inclination is "I dunno". It takes a while for me to form a vague bias.
                    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by seer View Post
                      It isn't my argument. This is SCIENCE!
                      You're only interested in science when it doesn't threaten your belief--evolution being a prime example of epistemology you reject. This is click bait.

                      Look at what it really says: "religious non-belief is cognitively effortful." Yes, I have to actually to do some not-too-hard thinking to surmise that my wife's bosom, though gorgeous and functional, wasn't purposefully designed. That it requires relatively light cognition isn't evidence that I'm a closet theist.

                      "Look how he spends his time! Forty-three species of parrot! Nipples for men!"
                      --Time Bandits

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                        Well, that's the thing. My natural inclination is "I dunno". It takes a while for me to form a vague bias.
                        Yes! My natural inclination is more slanted to skepticism of purposeful design, which is voluminously supported by counter examples in nature that make apologists like seer go mute.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by whag View Post
                          You're only interested in science when it doesn't threaten your belief--evolution being a prime example of epistemology you reject. This is click bait.

                          Look at what it really says: "religious non-belief is cognitively effortful." Yes, I have to actually to do some not-too-hard thinking to surmise that my wife's bosom, though gorgeous and functional, wasn't purposefully designed. That it requires relatively light cognition isn't evidence that I'm a closet theist.

                          "Look how he spends his time! Forty-three species of parrot! Nipples for men!"
                          --Time Bandits
                          Naw, you are just consciously rejecting what you know is true...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by whag View Post
                            which is voluminously supported by counter examples in nature that make apologists like seer go mute.
                            How would that happen if I believe that God created the universe and all the laws and conditions that govern it?
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Naw, you are just consciously rejecting what you know is true...
                              I don't know it's true that God made my nipples, no. That's what you want to believe because it makes you feel justified for believing weird things. Scientologists and Mormons have been conditioned with the same presumptive arrogance. You aren't alone.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by lee_merrill, 10-30-2020, 09:01 PM
                              28 responses
                              120 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post thormas
                              by thormas
                               
                              Started by Whateverman, 07-26-2020, 11:01 AM
                              330 responses
                              6,602 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Electric Skeptic  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM
                              1,252 responses
                              55,029 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post thormas
                              by thormas
                               
                              Working...
                              X