Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pondering Apologetics ~ Why do all the canvassers have such terrible arguments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LPOT
    Jaecp doesn't admit to errors, no matter what. Don't worry, I'm sure his next post will be 'throwing me out' for daring to disagree with him. It's his way of avoiding people questioning him. Can't refute them? Throw them out and I'm sure you'll be shown the door soon enough as you keep showing his failure to read.
    Well, seeing as your only posts are about me and directed to someone else, you can find somewhere else to continue chatting with CP

Bye now.

And, assuming this is something that fits within TWebs rules, consider yourself pre-banned from any threads I start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      I was referring to your bits about the Haitan's and that. The thing with you trying to create alternative interpretations of what identify means in the context of a poll about peoples religious beliefs is just torturing language. Polling agencies don't have the authority to declare who is or is not Christian. All they can do is say how much of the country says they are.
      I actually thought you were smarter than this. The poll shows that a bunch of people "identify with a Christian religion". For you to turn that into "they are all saved" is just dumb.

Oh, looks like I made a typo. Yes, I meant religion.
      But you had to go all snitty on me when I asked. And the link you provided did NOTHING to help explain it.

My comments were drawing a parallel between the targets of soul saving[
      We don't "soul save" - we evangelize.

and the methodology of soul saving that was being discussed. Would you disagree with the sentiment that the kind of arguments to get someone back to church and ones to actually start the conversion process from a non-believer (whether they be atheist or of another religion) have little, if any, overlap; and, if you do believe there is overlap could you give an example?
      I think I'm done with you.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CP
        I actually thought you were smarter than this. The poll shows that a bunch of people "identify with a Christian religion". For you to turn that into "they are all saved" is just dumb.
        It's self reporting, CP. Your religion is everywhere. Unless you have something, datawise, to actually point at then its just supposition (which you'd already conceded for the purpose of discussion, right?)

We don't "soul save" - we evangelize.
        Is that not the goal of evangelism? Is there a particular reason that the lexicon here is especially important? Use whatever terms you wish.

Originally posted by J
        and the methodology of soul saving that was being discussed. Would you disagree with the sentiment that the kind of arguments to get someone back to church and ones to actually start the conversion process from a non-believer (whether they be atheist or of another religion) have little, if any, overlap; and, if you do believe there is overlap could you give an example?
        Originally posted by CP
        I think I'm done with you.
        Certainly a strange part to be done with me on. Why not actually engage with one of the core conceits of the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Jaecp doesn't admit to errors, no matter what.
          He's jealous. You're talking to me and not him.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Myself and two other atheists just had a field day color coding the book with some highlighters that I'd gotten from Borders beforehand. I'd bought them for the bible, snagged a copy of the NSRV (section headings <3) before I left, along with a copy of the Koran, a handful of books from the prominent atheist writers in 07, some of the prominent "counter" books, and some books of apologetics.
            Um, so you were sitting in a tent and desecrating a copy of the Koran with magic markers?

Wow.

Roy
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Well, no. It was a boat so we were sitting in a passage.

And the books we highlighted didn't include the Koran. It was mostly the bible because we wanted an easy reference for the in person discussions that would happen

Comment

Well, no. It was a boat so we were sitting in a passage.

And the books we highlighted didn't include the Koran. It was mostly the bible because we wanted an easy reference for the in person discussions that would happen
                Was this before or after you accosted the police with foam nunchucks?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Was this before or after you accosted the police with foam nunchucks?
                  lol, at least my stories seem to be memorable.

I never accosted them with them, but the event happened in the first few months after I left military service

Comment

lol, at least my stories seem to be memorable.
                    Yeah, that pretty well framed who you are in my mind.

I never accosted them with them,
                    I know - was just pulling your chain. Actually, wasn't sure that was you, but thought so.

but the event happened in the first few months after I left military service
                    I got nuthin.

Comment

I've always had something of a knack for having strange or interesting experiences. I enjoy travelling, getting outside of my comfort zone, and even when I was living at my parents after leaving the Navy, not being one to just sit around. If it wasn't the cop thing it'd have been something else. Travels far and wide.

Some of the stuff that's happened since then... yeesh. Never thought I'd accidentally discover a car theft ring and help points some Oregon PD towards it, for example.

My life is weird

Comment