Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mixed Relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Relationships

I'm looking for personal experiences or accounts you can point me toward of a Christian and a religious skeptic making a marriage relationship work. Considering dating a Christian for the first time in a long time and am thinking ahead.

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
    I'm looking for personal experiences or accounts you can point me toward of a Christian and a religious skeptic making a marriage relationship work. Considering dating a Christian for the first time in a long time and am thinking ahead.
    To be honest I'm not sure why a believer would date a non-believer. I know two couples in my church where both the wives are believers and both husbands are atheists - and there is nothing but contention.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      To be honest I'm not sure why a believer would date a non-believer. I know two couples in my church where both the wives are believers and both husbands are atheists - and there is nothing but contention.
      What kinds of contention, if you don't mind sharing?

Comment

There's this thing we call (with some degree of chagrin) "missionary dating", where a Christian will date/marry an unbeliever, assuming (or hoping) he/she will become a Christian. It often works out badly for the Christian, and is contrary to biblical teaching.

As with any other relationship, however, the key is communication and openness. Think about such things as --- what do we do about "going to Church" -- if we have children, how do we raise them, etc...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

For one the husbands seem quite jealous of the time their wives spend at church functions and the general church family relationships. The biggest problem is around the 5 kids (between the two marriages) and how they are being brought up. Of course the wives are bringing them to church, and the husbands are actively trying to get the kids not to buy the whole faith thing.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            There's this thing we call (with some degree of chagrin) "missionary dating", where a Christian will date/marry an unbeliever, assuming (or hoping) he/she will become a Christian. It often works out badly for the Christian, and is contrary to biblical teaching.

As with any other relationship, however, the key is communication and openness. Think about such things as --- what do we do about "going to Church" -- if we have children, how do we raise them, etc...
            No missionary dating, on either side. We would both be going in on the assumption that we'll finish our lives out under our current religious viewpoints.

This isn't something I'm considering lightly. The convenient conclusion for both of us would be, "No this wouldn't work." But beyond liking her as a friend, I want her to be respected and cared for and would be willing to devote my life to that end, if it wouldn't turn into a mess of contention.
            Last edited by seasanctuary; 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM.

Comment

If you have children, would you mind her 'indoctrinating' the children?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                For one the husbands seem quite jealous of the time their wives spend at church functions and the general church family relationships. The biggest problem is around the 5 kids (between the two marriages) and how they are being brought up. Of course the wives are bringing them to church, and the husbands are actively trying to get the kids not to buy the whole faith thing.
                Thank you. I'm not worried about being a jerk in those particular areas. She does come with children. I only need the freedom to be honest about my own views (in an age-appropriate way). "Actively trying" wouldn't apply if they were my own children too, let alone when they're not. I am 100% ok if they all stay Christian forever.

Comment

No missionary dating, on either side. We would both be going in on the assumption that we'll finish our lives out under our current religious viewpoints.

This isn't something I'm considering lightly. The convenient conclusion for both of us would be, "No this wouldn't work." But beyond liking her as a friend, I want her to be respected and cared for and would be willing to devote my life to end, if it wouldn't turn into a mess of contention.
                  So, it depends on how much she values scriptural advice, and how much you respect that.

2 Cor 6 [14]*Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness? [15]*And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what portion hath a believer with an unbeliever?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                    If you have children, would you mind her 'indoctrinating' the children?
                    I don't have children and I would make sure I stay without children of my own if I went with her. Generally speaking, though, I don't consider evangelizing to be indoctrination unless it's accompanied by a campaign to make sure they don't hear that other options exist. She's not an intellectual-bubble kind of person.

Comment

She's not an intellectual-bubble kind of person.
                      Is she a "committed to Christ" kind of person? Or perhaps a "nominal" Christian?

(I'm guessing this is actually hypothetical, but I'm going with it )

Comment

So, it depends on how much she values scriptural advice, and how much you respect that.
                        At least, I do want to make sure she has a firm reason for not understanding that to be a prohibition. Wouldn't want to date for a year and suddenly that's the problem.

Comment

Is she a "committed to Christ" kind of person? Or perhaps a "nominal" Christian?
                          Not a nominal or "cultural" Christian. She's quite serious in a personal way and has been for as long as I've known her.

Comment

Not a nominal or "cultural" Christian. She's quite serious in a personal way and has been for as long as I've known her.
                            Then I'd encourage you to ask her how she understands the "be not unequally yoked" scripture.

(Just saw you addressed this )

Comment

Then I'd encourage you to ask her how she understands the "be not unequally yoked" scripture.

(Just saw you addressed this )
                              Good advice. Thank you.

Comment