Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Witnessing to Atheists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    This is a little different to Pascal’s wager. I cannot imagine why God would be impressed by anyone who played that game; by someone who backed down too easily when threatened or by people who threaten others with the promise of damnation.
    wow. my eyes are opened. Jesus was such a bully preaching about damnation and hell! How dare he?

FF, CP didn't "threaten" her with pascal's wager. She came up with it on her own if you bother to read his story. How can you even threaten someone with Pascal's wager when they don't even believe in God in the first place? You could tell me that if I don't believe in Cthulu I will spend eternity being eaten by smurfs if you wanted to, but it would not bother me unless I first believed in Cthulu in the first place.

Comment

yeah!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Jesus still loves him.

Comment

Wow, the patience you must have had with your EA. I don't think I could have lasted very long without correcting her disrespect and rudeness to her coworkers. I wouldn't have been mean about it, but frank. (how long did you work together before the mtg?)

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
            Wow, the patience you must have had with your EA. I don't think I could have lasted very long without correcting her disrespect and rudeness to her coworkers. I wouldn't have been mean about it, but frank. (how long did you work together before the mtg?)
            She was "assigned" to me by the owner of the company. She was the "pit bull" who got things done, and handled his "difficulties". For some reason, I'm really drawn to "difficult people", and love to win them over. On top of everything else, I knew she was a Chicago Yankee. I was just determined she wouldn't get my goat, and she never did. I DID have to "stand her down" on occasion due to her rudeness, but I managed to do it in a firm but friendly way.

I honestly believed she needed Jesus, and it was MUCH easier just to be offended than to be a determined witness. It was good practice for me in dealing with difficult church people.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, it would have been hard for me to deal with her. I need Jesus too but I don't go around insulting people! People like her get under my skin, especially because that's exactly the reaction they want, so they taunt what's sacred to me and I'm supposed to just let her be rude so I can be the better person!? I am so mad at her!!!

I need to breathe.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                Yes, it would have been hard for me to deal with her. I need Jesus too but I don't go around insulting people! People like her get under my skin, especially because that's exactly the reaction they want, so they taunt what's sacred to me and I'm supposed to just let her be rude so I can be the better person!? I am so mad at her!!!

I need to breathe.
                So, maybe it's a character flaw in me that I love dealing with that kind of person, because "I win" their game?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  Wow, just...wow. I take it you also think that it constitutes bullying when reality throws something unpleasant in your way.
                  I don’t know why you don’t see it. It is very sad indeed to see people so worried about being wrong or out of step. The faith should not be that important. Fascism is when disagreement is met with ostracism and punishment.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I don’t know why you don’t see it. It is very sad indeed to see people so worried about being wrong or out of step. The faith should not be that important. Fascism is when disagreement is met with ostracism and punishment.
                    Perhaps you wouldn't be so bitter if you knew the Joy of Jesus, FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      wow. my eyes are opened. Jesus was such a bully preaching about damnation and hell! How dare he?
                      FF, CP didn't "threaten" her with pascal's wager. She came up with it on her own if you bother to read his story. How can you even threaten someone with Pascal's wager when they don't even believe in God in the first place? You could tell me that if I don't believe in Cthulu I will spend eternity being eaten by smurfs if you wanted to, but it would not bother me unless I first believed in Cthulu in the first place.
                      I don’t blame Jesus. And I was not suggesting that CP bullied anyone either. I look up to CP in the same way that I look up to you. No, as I understood the story, she bullied herself (as you point out), or, she let the religion bully her. It amounts to the same thing; a story of intimidation.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Uh FF, where exactly did Cow Poke bully that lady? She came and asked him,rather then CP forcing it down her throat...

ETA: Regarding your post above,how exactly did she intimidate herself/religion intimidate her?
                        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I support the :
                        sigpic

Comment

I don’t blame Jesus. And I was not suggesting that CP bullied anyone either. I look up to CP in the same way that I look up to you. No, as I understood the story, she bullied herself (as you point out), or, she let the religion bully her. It amounts to the same thing; a story of intimidation.
                          I'm speechless.

Comment

So, maybe it's a character flaw in me that I love dealing with that kind of person, because "I win" their game?
                            Not a flaw in the least, the world needs to have an influx of such character blessings! :)

Comment

I think firstfloor needs some "bullying"

Comment

Perhaps you wouldn't be so bitter if you knew the Joy of Jesus, FF.
                                I am not bitter and I do not have a quarrel with Jesus. I just do not look at the world through Christo-glasses. I am not Bible centred.
                                It is quite annoying to non-Christians when Christians insist on telling them that they lack some vital ingredient in their life. It is utter nonsense. Atheists are not difficult subjects. The simply live in the real world (unlike you-know-who).

Comment