Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Honest Atheist?

In light of certain scriptures can there be an honest atheist, or do they all suppress the truth in wickedness?

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
    Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world
    The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    In light of certain scriptures can there be an honest atheist, or do they all suppress the truth in wickedness?
    Could I politely suggest that when you post Scripture, you include the reference and the version? I think you're quoting Psalm 91 and Romans 1, yes?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My first reaction is that the scriptures you posted clearly state that the atheist would be WRONG, and without excuse in being wrong, but I don't think that necessarily makes him dishonest. If he sincerely does not believe God exists, and states that, he may be accused of ignorance, but not necessarily dishonesty. If he believed in God and stated otherwise, that would obviously be dishonest.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They all suppress the truth in wickedness.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Could I politely suggest that when you post Scripture, you include the reference and the version? I think you're quoting Psalm 91 and Romans 1, yes?
          Sorry, Ps.19 and Rom.1
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

My first reaction is that the scriptures you posted clearly state that the atheist would be WRONG, and without excuse in being wrong, but I don't think that necessarily makes him dishonest. If he sincerely does not believe God exists, and states that, he may be accused of ignorance, but not necessarily dishonesty. If he believed in God and stated otherwise, that would obviously be dishonest.
            If an atheist believed in God, he'd be a theist. Can you give an example of a person who's compelled by belief but still declares himself atheist?

Comment

Could be, but the Rom.1 passage goes on, vs.21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

It seems that all men have an innate understanding of God. At least generally.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                If an atheist believed in God, he'd be a theist.
                Well, yeah, I would have thought that was obvious.

Can you give an example of a person who's compelled by belief but still declares himself atheist?
                "Compelled by belief"? I was simply stating that somebody who honestly believed God does not exist is not dishonest simply for saying so. I HAVE met, however, several people who claimed to be atheists who I really believed were just saying that for attention.

Comment

Could be, but the Rom.1 passage goes on, vs.21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

It seems that all men have an innate understanding of God. At least generally.
                  Still, I just think that being dishonest implies a purposeful effort to mislead, not one of those "well, deep down inside he knows..." kind of things. Quite honestly, I'm just throwing out my first impressions to get responses -- I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Comment

Well, yeah, I would have thought that was obvious.

"Compelled by belief"? I was simply stating that somebody who honestly believed God does not exist is not dishonest simply for saying so. I HAVE met, however, several people who claimed to be atheists who I really believed were just saying that for attention.
                    How do you deal with those to whom religious belief comes naturally and yet lie about it for kicks? Those would be rare individuals, indeed.

For such people, therapy would seem to be in order since evangelism would be entirely moot.

Comment

How do you deal with those to whom religious belief comes naturally and yet lie about it for kicks?
                      "comes naturally"? I'm simply referring to some high school kids who, for whatever reason -- maybe shock value -- claim to be atheists.

Those would be rare individuals, indeed.
                      meh

For such people, therapy would seem to be in order since evangelism would be entirely moot.
                      In the cases I'm talking about, it would be discipleship that's needed, not evangelism.

Comment

Regarding what nature has to teach about itself, atheists are more honest than Christians (see Dover ID judgement).
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

"comes naturally"? I'm simply referring to some high school kids who, for whatever reason -- maybe shock value -- claim to be atheists.
                          You've never met anyone to whom belief comes naturally? I'm not describing anything unusual. The kids you described either came to belief naturally or were indoctrinated through upbringing or culture.

meh

In the cases I'm talking about, it would be discipleship that's needed, not evangelism.
                          I think a comprehensive religion course would be in order. After that, if they conclude Christianity is the right religion, discipleship.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            Regarding what nature has to teach about itself, atheists are more honest than Christians (see Dover ID judgement).
                            Indeed, some Christians suppress the truth in wickedness (or willful ignorance, take your pick).

Comment

You've never met anyone to whom belief comes naturally?
                              I think you're unnecessarily picking nit where none needs to be picked.

I'm not describing anything unusual. The kids you described either came to belief naturally or were indoctrinated through upbringing or culture.
                              yeah, i even "indoctrinated" my children to be kind to others, even those who claim to be atheists. What a wicked man I am. OH, the shame of it all.

I think a comprehensive religion course would be in order. After that, if they conclude Christianity is the right religion, discipleship.
                              You are entirely free to believe or not believe anything you want, Whag -- as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. If at some point, my children decide that's not for them, I don't love them any less.

Comment