Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Honest Atheist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Geological processes create waterfalls, not God's guiding hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
        Geological processes create waterfalls, not God's guiding hand.
        Amazing how geological processes created those waterfalls in that picture, huh.

Comment

Amazing how geological processes created those waterfalls in that picture, huh.
          Thanks for acknowledging geological processes aren't the signature of a guiding hand. We're now in agreement.

Comment

Thanks for acknowledging geological processes aren't the signature of a guiding hand. We're now in agreement.
            How did they create that dam and waterfalls?

Comment

Engineers, you dope. How was Niagraa Falls created? Google it.

Comment

Engineers, you dope. How was Niagraa Falls created? Google it.
                So I guess some waterfalls are created by intelligent design then?

How do you tell the difference between that dam and, say this waterfall?

Which would be manmade and which would be created by "geological forces?"

Comment

There's nothing simple about a waterfall,
                  Sure there is.... water seeks its own level, and gravity helps! Not sure why you're being so obstinate.

but I'm encouraged you wouldn't conclude an intelligent author made such a thing.
                  Ummm.... intelligent men build waterfalls all the time. Often they're called "dams".

That's not really a rational conclusion.
                  Perhaps to somebody who was unaware that waterfalls could actually be built by "intelligent authors".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I guess I really DON'T know you, Whag... I had thought you were much more civil than this.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I think whag forgets that "it's natural" is not a very good argument against God.

God created nature, and it's processes and rules. So why would he be surprised that God uses what he created?

Comment

Humans created this dam and waterfalls using engineering based on the non-contradictory knowledge of Methodological Naturalism. The same foundation knowledge that describes the science of evolution.

Niagra Falls and the other water falls were created through millions of years of natural uplift of land, and erosion from water flowing over resistant rock formations
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Humans created this dam and waterfalls using engineering based on the non-contradictory knowledge of Methodological Naturalism. The same foundation knowledge that describes the science of evolution.
                          The waterfall and dam evolved? Did it start out as a beaver dam or something?

My point is how do you look at something and tell if it is intelligently designed or not? I showed a picture of two waterfalls above. How can you tell if one was created through geological processes and one was made by engineers? Shape? Age?

And if God created nature, then how can something being natural be evidence against God?

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Niagra Falls and the other water falls were created through millions of years of natural uplift of land, and erosion from water flowing over resistant rock formations
                            How do you know it's not the DOWNLIFT of land, eh? Were you THERE?

Comment

I think whag forgets that "it's natural" is not a very good argument against God.
                              Mental illness and stillbirths are natural, but controversy arises when attributing those things to God.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              God created nature, and it's processes and rules. So why would he be surprised that God uses what he created?
                              Are you talking about geology or biology, as well? Evolution is a process with rules.

Comment

Mental illness and stillbirths are natural, but controversy arises when attributing those things to God.
                                Not for me.

Are you talking about geology or biology, as well? Evolution is a process with rules.
                                Yes.

so back to my question. Can you tell which of those two waterfalls I posted was created without intelligent design? and how can you tell?

Comment