Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Five people you can't stand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five people you can't stand.

Name five people that hold your theology that you can't stand that are (were) public figures.

I am an atheist and I can't stand:

1)Bill Maher
    2)David Silverman
    3)Ayn Rand
    4)Acharya S
    5)Sam Harris

I like Dave though. Met him in San Diego at a lifetime achievement thing for the Mt. Soledad cross plaintiff.

The public persona is an attention getting device, like any activist

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      I like Dave though. Met him in San Diego at a lifetime achievement thing for the Mt. Soledad cross plaintiff.

The public persona is an attention getting device, like any activist
      Still gets on my nerves.

He just came to mind because he's a more recent figurehead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post

1)Bill Maher
        2)David Silverman
        3)Ayn Rand
        4)Acharya S
        5)Sam Harris
        Acharya S doesn't classify herself as atheist or theist, so you may be happy to remove her from your list. She writes here:
        http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/autho.../atheist.shtml
        I am neither a theist nor an atheist, although, for the most part, I prefer atheists because they can think for themselves and are not as vicious as "believers."...

I categorize myself as neither of these, since I prefer to view the entire cosmos as divine and awesome. I may thus be called "pantheistic." I may also be considered a mystic, a "homo novus," or, as it were, a new woman. The mystic or gnostic does not reside in the realm of belief or disbelief. She or he knows, rather than believing. I do not need to believe in the sun. I can see it and feel it. I know it exists. I also know that there is a sentience that pervades the cosmos. I am it. You are it. The birds singing in the trees and the trees themselves are it. This sentience could be called "God," but it is not a giant man somewhere in outer space apart and aloof from creation...

I am the intellectual aspect of Kali, the destroyer, of Shiva, of Zeus the thunderer, and of Jehovah the flattener of cities. But I am also a part and parcel of the Creative Life Force that permeates the cosmos, and upon the ruined foundations of dead and rotten ideologies I build anew...

For myself, as a liberal Christian, I find it hard to think of 5 names that share something like my beliefs that I can't stand. I can't stand the megachurch Benny Hinns, but while I'm not saying Benny Hinn is not a Christian, he certainly doesn't share my beliefs. Liberal Christianity is so fuzzy-wuzzy, it's hard to think of any 'liberal Christian' belief that I would object to that I couldn't stand in another liberal Christian. I might well hate their politics, or even something more mundane like their choice of football team, etc.

It's a good question, one that I'll have to think upon.

Comment

You mean my non-theology? I don't know of any public figures who are "soft" agnostics...
          Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Who's David Silverman.

I'll refrain from answering the OP since I'll probably end up listing a bunch of twebbers and butthurt will flow.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Dave is the current president of American Atheists, a watchdog/rights group

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                Name five people that hold your theology that you can't stand that are (were) public figures.

1)Bill Maher
                2)David Silverman
                3)Ayn Rand
                4)Acharya S
                5)Sam Harris
                Not in any particular order.

Hank Hanegraaf
                Bob Dutko
                JP Holding (and weird associates)
                Greg Koukl
                JP Moreland

The last four for smugness alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Who's David Silverman.

I'll refrain from answering the OP since I'll probably end up listing a bunch of twebbers and butthurt will flow.
                  I'd be honored. I save my butthurt for when my wife says no sexual relations tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                    Not in any particular order.

Hank Hanegraaf
                    Bob Dutko
                    JP Holding (and weird associates)
                    Greg Koukl
                    JP Moreland

The last four for smugness alone.
                    So you suddenly became a Christian?
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      So you suddenly became a Christian?
                      He lacks reading comprehension skills?
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

All of my people are beloved.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Who's David Silverman.

I better not be on that list.
                          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                            I'd be honored. I save my butthurt for when my wife says no sexual relations tonight.
                            I thought you saved it for when she says yes?
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                              I better not be on that list.
                              nah

Comment