Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An amusing thought I had ~ Why how right you think you are is irrelevant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siam
    replied
    Descriptor/Identity of "Muslim"

The Quranic term "muslim" is not a label of a group---rather it is a spiritual state (the most minimum out of 3 spiritual states) and means "one who submits" (to God/God's law) and as such Jesus Christ(pbuh) was a "muslim"...and so are the planets, sun, stars...etc....

The term "Muslim" as a legal descriptor (In Islamic history) came about because of legal reasons requiring identification of groups for legal purposes....the term "Muslim" as a socio-religious identity came about as "Muslims" began to define themselves in opposition to "X".

As a Muslim, I consider myself a follower of Jesus Christ (pbuh) and his message of Tawheed---the same message all Prophets (and Wisdom Teachers) of God gave as Guidance to humanity.

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    Originally posted by siam View Post
    Could one say that formulations of morals/ethics develop from premises/presumptions based on a world-view/paradigm?

So...the extent to which one group's paradigms overlap with another's---the presumptions and therefore, ethics/morals also overlap and to the degree they differ---the ethics and morals also differ.....

All humanity may accept that life is important---but how they understand/define "life" and "important" may differ...One religion may say that killing animals for consumption is not moral/ethical...another may see it differently....Even the understanding of human in terms of "human life" may differ according to different world-views....

From an Islamic perspective, morals/ethics develop from an orientation (facing towards, turning to/"world-view")...and this orientation is understood as Tawheed (One God).
    From this orientation, purpose is articulated, and values and principles are formulated and from these develop the laws(ethics/morality)
    Law(formulation of ethical/moral values into rules/regulations) requires a methodology. Some considerations in the development of methodology are---Qiyas (Analogical reasoning (of sources)), Ijtihad (Creative reasoning) Ijma/Shura (Consideration of consensus/majority) Istislah (consideration of public interest/public good), and Urf (consideration of traditions, customs)

Modern, secular societies tend to separate ethics/morality from law. This means that ethics/morality are only "values" (abstracts) implemented mainly (and randomly) through social pressure....?.....
    Hail friend.

Those messengers - some of them We caused to exceed others. Among them were those to whom Allah spoke, and He raised some of them in degree. And We gave Jesus, the Son of Mary, clear proofs, and We supported him with the Pure Spirit.
    Why do you describe yerself as a Muslim?

He has ordained for you of religion what He enjoined upon Noah and that which We have revealed to you, and what We enjoined upon Abraham and Moses and Jesus - to establish the religion and not be divided therein.
    Why not call yerself as the same religion of Jesus(the religion enjoined upon him)...the most exalted of the prophets. Is he not of course? Who is more exalted?

Leave a comment:

• siam
    replied
    Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
    Leading questions to you are any questions that challenge your worldview.... so there's no point in even trying to debate, because as you'll kick me out as soon as I ask a question.

I'll try this anyway: Where does morality originate from? Is it objective or subjective?
    Could one say that formulations of morals/ethics develop from premises/presumptions based on a world-view/paradigm?

So...the extent to which one group's paradigms overlap with another's---the presumptions and therefore, ethics/morals also overlap and to the degree they differ---the ethics and morals also differ.....

All humanity may accept that life is important---but how they understand/define "life" and "important" may differ...One religion may say that killing animals for consumption is not moral/ethical...another may see it differently....Even the understanding of human in terms of "human life" may differ according to different world-views....

From an Islamic perspective, morals/ethics develop from an orientation (facing towards, turning to/"world-view")...and this orientation is understood as Tawheed (One God).
    From this orientation, purpose is articulated, and values and principles are formulated and from these develop the laws(ethics/morality)
    Law(formulation of ethical/moral values into rules/regulations) requires a methodology. Some considerations in the development of methodology are---Qiyas (Analogical reasoning (of sources)), Ijtihad (Creative reasoning) Ijma/Shura (Consideration of consensus/majority) Istislah (consideration of public interest/public good), and Urf (consideration of traditions, customs)

Modern, secular societies tend to separate ethics/morality from law. This means that ethics/morality are only "values" (abstracts) implemented mainly (and randomly) through social pressure....?.....

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    You have been asked to leave the thread. Tweb rules allow the OP to do this. You agreed to the rules when you signed up.
    There was a bit of confusion with what was typed. I edited some things and so did others.

When I said alcohol was the devil(which is where the "get out" thread came from) I had just deleted an entire duplicate post that he had no knowledge of.

If he still wants to banish me, I shall accept this judgment.

Although, I say alcohol is the devil in jest, truly, my best bud is Jameson :)

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pytharchimedes View Post
    Where art thou Jaecp? Let us speak of the dismemberment of human fetuses whilst they remain in the womb, since you feel so strongly about it, or do you? what do you really think? Tell me!
    You have been asked to leave the thread. Tweb rules allow the OP to do this. You agreed to the rules when you signed up.

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    Where art thou Jaecp? Let us speak of the dismemberment of human fetuses whilst they remain in the womb, since you feel so strongly about it, or do you? what do you really think? Tell me!

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    God guide us both, for he is with us both, if he even exists.

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
    Get out of my thread.
    Fascist? Speak up. Let us get down to business.

Random Spam? That is the epitome of your transactions on this site...lets move on to some substance.

I am ready and willing.
    Last edited by Pytharchimedes; 05-07-2015, 12:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    I literally have no idea what you mean
    Whats the point of this thread duh? What are you trying to prove?

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    alcohol is the devil :P
    Get out of my thread.

Come back when your sober and delete this random spam you just made.

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    Neither did man fall out of the sky, but you would use such an argument to deny the existence of God, or would you not?

Let us both speak honestly.
    I literally have no idea what you mean

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    alcohol is the devil :P it causes me much forgetfulness... heh
    Last edited by Pytharchimedes; 05-07-2015, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    Pytharchimedes, can you condense your posting? 3 in a row fills the thread up with spam, like that video, which has no relation to the topic at hand. I'd rather we didn't post off topic graphics and such here.
    Lets focus on the topic, I forgot what it was...please inform me.

Leave a comment:

• Jaecp
    replied
    Pytharchimedes, can you condense your posting? 3 in a row fills the thread up with spam, like that video, which has no relation to the topic at hand. I'd rather we didn't post off topic graphics and such here.

Leave a comment:

• Pytharchimedes
    replied
    Yes, obviously firefox didn't fall out of the sky.
    Neither did man fall out of the sky, but you would use such an argument to deny the existence of God, or would you not?

Let us both speak honestly.

Leave a comment: