Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Infinitely lazy God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Odd and confusing!
    It was your words that prompted my comments.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      So the teaching of Moses were infallible for his age? And there ultimately can not be harmony with with science and scripture. Science will never accept that human beings have an immaterial soul. And the soul is the most important aspect of the human being as both our religions teach. And as we know, science can be wrong, so their conclusions are not written in stone.

At every turn science is rejecting the idea of the soul:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/26/sc...anted=all&_r=0
      Old turf seer. Methodological Naturalism cannot falsify anything beyond the physical nature of existence. The existence of God, the soul and anything of the spiritual realms is beyond the scope of science. Scientists may present anecdotal arguments concerning the existence of God and the soul, but they cannot propose a hypothesis for anything in the spiritual realms that may be falsified.

The moral teachings of Moses, ie most of the ten commandments (5-10), are morals in harmony with science. Commandments 1-4 are a religious commitment to God, and not related to science.

First this is a layman's article soaked with opinion. The bottom line of your reference is the claim that science provides an adequate natural explanation for human morals, ethics and the mind, which is true, but that is as far as science can go.

The Baha'i view that God Created Natural Laws and the nature of our physical existence in harmony with the spiritual realms, would agree that, yes, science can come up with an adequate explanation of how God Created our physical existence, but that would be limit of science.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-04-2015, 01:59 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
        ... William Lane Craig is a Philosopher.
        Thanks for the link. William Lane Craig is perhaps a theologian or an apologist but he is definitely no philosopher.
        This guy is though –
        “Other reactions to natural theology are those of Wittgensteinian philosophers of religion, most notably D. Z. Phillips. Phillips rejects "natural theology" and its evidentialist approach as confused, in favor of a grammatical approach which investigates the meaning of belief in God. For Phillips, belief in God is not a proposition with a particular truth value, but a form of life. Consequently, the question of whether God exists confuses the logical categories which govern theistic language with those that govern other forms of discourse (most notably, scientific discourse). According to Phillips, the question of whether or not God exists cannot be "objectively" answered by philosophy because the categories of truth and falsity, which are necessary for asking the question, have no application in the religious contexts wherein religious belief has its sense and meaning. In other words, the question cannot be answered because it cannot be asked without entering into confusion. As Phillips sees things, the job of the philosopher is not to investigate the "rationality" of belief in God but to elucidate its meaning.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Old turf seer. Methodological Naturalism cannot falsify anything beyond the physical nature of existence. The existence of God, the soul and anything of the spiritual realms is beyond the scope of science. Scientists may present anecdotal arguments concerning the existence of God and the soul, but they cannot propose a hypothesis for anything in the spiritual realms that may be falsified.
          Actually that is incorrect Shuny. I spend a good amount of time reading the Baha'i view of the soul recently - most of which I agree with as a Christian. And your view is that the soul is the seat of the intellect, reason and emotions - it is the immaterial soul that gives rise to these. Science is directly contradicting this - read my link. That the intellect, reason and emotion can be fully explained by the physical brain. This is a clear and direct contradiction, whether you want to admit that or not. Science and your religion are not in harmony on this issue.

The moral teachings of Moses, ie most of the ten commandments (5-10), are morals in harmony with science. Commandments 1-4 are a religious commitment to God, and not related to science.
          That was not a question concerning science. So were the teaching of Moses infallible in his time? As you claimed the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh were in his time?
          Last edited by seer; 05-04-2015, 02:12 PM.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
            The story of original sin I interpret it as the beginning of man realising the difference between right and wrong. Hence before hand they had no knowledge of good and evil. I see it as a progression of human beings coming to a realisation of morality.
            This would not be a traditional Christian interpretation. It would be close to the Baha'i view where Adam is the first Manifestation of God (First human spiritually) to know God and right and wrong in God's spiritual Law for humanity.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Actually that is incorrect Shuny. I spend a good amount of time reading the Baha'i view of the soul recently - most of which I agree with as a Christian. And your view is that the soul is the seat of the intellect, reason and emotions - it is the immaterial soul that gives rise to these. Science is directly contradicting this - read my link. That the intellect, reason and emotion can be fully explained by the physical brain. This is a clear and direct contradiction, whether you want to admit that or not. Science and your religion are not in harmony on this issue.
              No, science cannot contradict this because science cannot falsify the existence of the soul nor determine the nature of the soul in the relationship to the main and body of human. Scientists and others may make anecdotal claims, but concerning the soul science has no ability to falsify the existence nor the nature of the soul.

Science can only observe the relationship between the mind and the brain, which does not deal with the relationship of the soul and the mind. The mind is eternal with the soul, but the mind also has an intimate relationship to the brain, which science can observe directly.

Your efforts to study Baha'i scripture is not one of sincere understanding, but one of a selective adversarial combativeness to demonstrate that the Baha'i Faith and science are false and in conflict.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Thanks for the link. William Lane Craig is perhaps a theologian or an apologist but he is definitely no philosopher.
                This guy is though –
                “Other reactions to natural theology are those of Wittgensteinian philosophers of religion, most notably D. Z. Phillips. Phillips rejects "natural theology" and its evidentialist approach as confused, in favor of a grammatical approach which investigates the meaning of belief in God. For Phillips, belief in God is not a proposition with a particular truth value, but a form of life. Consequently, the question of whether God exists confuses the logical categories which govern theistic language with those that govern other forms of discourse (most notably, scientific discourse). According to Phillips, the question of whether or not God exists cannot be "objectively" answered by philosophy because the categories of truth and falsity, which are necessary for asking the question, have no application in the religious contexts wherein religious belief has its sense and meaning. In other words, the question cannot be answered because it cannot be asked without entering into confusion. As Phillips sees things, the job of the philosopher is not to investigate the "rationality" of belief in God but to elucidate its meaning.
                How completely stupid...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No, science cannot contradict this because science cannot falsify the existence of the soul nor determine the nature of the soul in the relationship to the main and body of human. Scientists and others may make claims, but concerning the soul science has no ability to falsify the existence nor the nature of the soul.
                  This is just double talk Shuny. If the physical brain can fully explain reasoning, the intellect and emotion, then there is no need for the soul. What does the soul do?

The Bahá’í writings explain that such faculties of the mind as thought, reasoning, understanding and imagination are “inherent properties of the soul, even as the radiation of light is the essential property of the sun.”The body of a man is “like unto a mirror, his soul is as the sun, and his mental faculties even as the rays that emanate from that source of light.”
                  That was not a question concerning science. So were the teaching of Moses infallible in his time? As you claimed the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh were in his time?
                  Last edited by seer; 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

This is just double talk Shuny. If the physical brain can fully explain reasoning, the intellect and emotion, then there is no need for the soul. What does the soul do?
                    Not double talk at all seer. It is a fact of Methodological Naturalism that the existence and nature of the soul cannot be falsified by scientific methods. Science cannot determine whether the soul is necessary or not.

The soul is the supreme Talisman of God's Creation, and beyond the realm of the provenance of science.

I already answered the question, and you did inject science into the question and I answered it.

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      It was your words that prompted my comments.
                      You need to take responsibility for your on hostility throwing rocks, and not pass the buck!

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

and

This guy is though –
                        Yes, there will be individuals who obviously have their own views but what I meant was that it wasn't a problem overall to the field of Philosophy.
                        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                          How completely stupid...
                          “Kierkegaard believed religious belief to stand at an ‘infinite distance’ from philosophical clarity. He did not believe that such clarity could by itself bring anyone one whit closer to religious faith. I think that Wittgenstein would have taken the same view.” - Peter Guy Winch (another real philosopher)
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            “Kierkegaard believed religious belief to stand at an ‘infinite distance’ from philosophical clarity. He did not believe that such clarity could by itself bring anyone one whit closer to religious faith. I think that Wittgenstein would have taken the same view.” - Peter Guy Winch (another real philosopher)
                            here is another real philosopher.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                              Yes, there will be individuals who obviously have their own views but what I meant was that it wasn't a problem overall to the field of Philosophy.
                              I am glad you brought this up. These new (for me) lines of enquiry are very interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Not double talk at all seer. It is a fact of Methodological Naturalism that the existence and nature of the soul cannot be falsified by scientific methods. Science cannot determine whether the soul is necessary or not.
                                But "science" is doing just that. If the physical brain can account for all mental function then there is nothing left for the soul to do. So you disagree with with the claim that the physical brain can account for all mental properties?

I already answered the question, and you did inject science into the question and I answered it.
                                This was a different question having nothing to do with science, so once again: So were the teaching of Moses infallible in his time? As you claimed the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh were in his time?

Comment