Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are spiritual fruit exclusive to Christianity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siam View Post
    This concept of "Spirit" makes it appear very powerless...?....Is not Spirit/Holy Spirit supposed to be God?...and is not God supposed to be most powerful?
    Yes. But it doesn't mean that because God has the power that He will utilise it completely all the time; neither does your Allah.

good is faked?
    It means that people can fake the fruit: they can feign kindness, love, and so on.

Considering that mysticism/spirituality is a tradition in many religious systems...the arbitrariness of the Christian concept does not seem an adequate explanation..?...
    Why is it arbitrary?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Yes. But it doesn't mean that because God has the power that He will utilise it completely all the time; neither does your Allah.

It means that people can fake the fruit: they can feign kindness, love, and so on.

Why is it arbitrary?
      ---In Islam Allah/God is not Spirit/Holy Spirit.

---I agree that intentions color our actions...but what is in our hearts can usually only be seen by God...unless we confess/verbalize it. Actions can be seen and judged as good/bad. To say this or that love is fake or true can only be conjecture unless the person who did the action confirms or denies....? But, perhaps if one is to posit that all humanity is inherently bad...then it might be possible to speculate that all actions that appear "good" are fake because they do not arise from possession of Holy Spirit (...as without this Holy Spirit, humans are only capable of bad)....?....

---So, if we posit that all humanity is inherently bad and "good" comes from the Holy Spirit/Spirit if X is believed...then there is a criteria---belief in X results in "possesion of" Holy Spirit and leads to good (that is seen)...but, if this criteria is not consistent...that is...if all who believe in X do not always do good....then this concept becomes arbitrary.
      The other opinion (on this thread) seems to be that human beings have the potential to be both good/bad and that the Holy Spirit can be "possessed" by anyone regardless of belief in X...while this is a nice premise (one I would favor)...it removes the criteria...thus making it (the working of the Holy Spirit) arbitrary....?.....

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
        ---In Islam Allah/God is not Spirit/Holy Spirit.
        I know; what I'm saying is that according to your theology your deity doesn't use all his power all the time; neither does ours.

But, perhaps if one is to posit that all humanity is inherently bad...then it might be possible to speculate that all actions that appear "good" are fake because they do not arise from possession of Holy Spirit (...as without this Holy Spirit, humans are only capable of bad)....?....
        Well yes, but I don't think that humanity is completely corrupted even by sin.

---So, if we posit that all humanity is inherently bad and "good" comes from the Holy Spirit/Spirit if X is believed...then there is a criteria---belief in X results in "possesion of" Holy Spirit and leads to good (that is seen)...but, if this criteria is not consistent...that is...if all who believe in X do not always do good....then this concept becomes arbitrary.
        The obvious answer is that one can have the Spirit and yet resist it, because the outworking of the Spirit in the believer's life is synergistic.

Comment

I know; what I'm saying is that according to your theology your deity doesn't use all his power all the time; neither does ours.

Well yes, but I don't think that humanity is completely corrupted even by sin.

The obvious answer is that one can have the Spirit and yet resist it, because the outworking of the Spirit in the believer's life is synergistic.
          Some interesting statements....

Power---Unsure of the context so do not know if I should agree, disagree or claim irrelevance!....
          ----irrelevance---If we are speaking of associating the properties of the Holy Spirit with the attributes of God....then this would only be relevant in the Christian context where the Holy Spirit is synonymous with God and therefore all characterizations of one applies to the other.....
          ---disagree----If we are speaking of God's "Power" (in itself an abstract, somewhat vague term) in general then No, Islam would reject concepts such as the clockwork universe or that God "rests" on Sabbath etc....God's Power is ever flowing.
          ---agree---If we understand God's "Power" in terms of "Qadr"(to measure) then yes, God's Power/will has degrees of, what is understood as, "restraints/restrictions" and "abundance/blessings" in his Wisdom.

Humanity---what is your understanding of Human nature?

Arbitrary---how does resistance or synergy make it less arbitrary?

Comment

Based on the evidence ALL ancient Gods, including the Christian Gods do not utilize anything better then the other Gods,

From a more objective perspective without judging other faiths, because they appear different, Christians do not even do a good job faking it.

Why is it arbitrary?
            There is no evidence that it is anything other then arbitrary, with a heavy dose of human nature.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/than.html
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Based on the evidence ALL ancient Gods, including the Christian Gods do not utilize anything better then the other Gods.
                And what does that say about your god Shuny? And doesn't your faith teach that Moses was a manifestation of God, therefore gave us true information about God?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  And what does that say about your god Shuny? And doesn't your faith teach that Moses was a manifestation of God, therefore gave us true information about God?
                  Yes, Moses gave us some true information in Gods Spiritual Law and confirmed that there is only on indivisible God for humanity to worship, but many things were temporal Laws and guidance for the Hebrews, and the problem remains we have no original writings from Moses.

My God is the same God as Moses's God. My response to Paprika was rhetorical and somewhat sarcastic to the common view that my God is superior to your God, your God Allah is not my God.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-07-2015, 05:03 PM.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

My God is the same God as Moses's God.
                    giphy.gif
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]6306[/ATTACH]
                      No meaningful response. Is this the best air ball you can shoot.

Frank

Comment

Yes, Moses gave us some true information in Gods Spiritual Law and confirmed that there is only on indivisible God for humanity to worship, but many things were temporal Laws and guidance for the Hebrews, and the problem remains we have no original writings from Moses.

My God is the same God as Moses's God. My response to Paprika was rhetorical and somewhat sarcastic to the common view that my God is superior to your God, your God Allah is not my God.
                        These statements of 'my God is greater than your god' smacks of ancient polytheism, maybe the Boy George song, sand box territorial turf war between Gods.

Are there in reality even more Gods than three in Christian theology?

Frank

Comment

No meaningful response. Is this the best air ball you can shoot.
                          It's a Game 7 bottom of the ninth two out grand slam walkoff.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment