Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My personal experience of evangelism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
    Interesting. I've noticed that they have a pretty big overseas missionary program too. Driving through northern Utah, there's always a big sign welcoming members back.
    Yes, that's the "mission" that these young "elders" go on - it could be here in the States, or any foreign country. Some of the Mormons we used to talk to in the Mormon Forum had served in Japan, South Korea, and other places. The sign welcoming members back applies to all of these "elders" coming back from wherever.

Leave a comment:

• Yttrium
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    They are required to serve a 2 year "mission", usually right out of high school, and part of that is the door to door canvassing with their prepared script. I don't remember it exactly, but it basically starts with "do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God", then "Do you believe that God spoke through prophets of old", then "do you believe God can speak through prophets today", finally getting to "do you believe that Joseph Smith could be that prophet".

They are not really prepared to answer any of your questions, hoping you stay on script with them. When you get them off script, they ask if they can come back later with somebody else. Mind you, these young men are called "elders", which I always thought ironic.
    Interesting. I've noticed that they have a pretty big overseas missionary program too. Driving through northern Utah, there's always a big sign welcoming members back.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Note how Starlight's Christian parents seek moral approval from their godless dirtbag son, as if Starlight's morality is anything more than degenerate abomination. They should be on their knees begging the rest of us forgiveness for hoisting this jackass on us.
    Dang dude. That's a bit much, even for this forum...
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-01-2015, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Actually I find this more a problem with your postings then firstfloor.
    You mean THAN firstfloor?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Me too. As long as they aren't named seven-anything

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Send them to my house. I LOVE talking to Mormons!
    Me too. As long as they aren't named seven-anything

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    True, the ones who visited me were always young and idealistic.
    They are required to serve a 2 year "mission", usually right out of high school, and part of that is the door to door canvassing with their prepared script. I don't remember it exactly, but it basically starts with "do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God", then "Do you believe that God spoke through prophets of old", then "do you believe God can speak through prophets today", finally getting to "do you believe that Joseph Smith could be that prophet".

They are not really prepared to answer any of your questions, hoping you stay on script with them. When you get them off script, they ask if they can come back later with somebody else. Mind you, these young men are called "elders", which I always thought ironic.

Leave a comment:

• Yttrium
    replied
    Yeah, this is probably a whole 'nuther thread, but the Mormons I have encountered have, as you implied (or I inferred from what you said ), been prepared with a "script", and when you get them off that script, they're totally lost.
    True, the ones who visited me were always young and idealistic.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Mormons and JW's are very low on my list of effective evangelisers. They rely on rote learning and are unprepared for a knowledgeable response. It's easy to throw them for a loop.

I maintain effective evangelism has to be rooted in a mature spirituality with a genuine (and I mean genuine) interest in and compassion for the other person's experience.
    Yeah, this is probably a whole 'nuther thread, but the Mormons I have encountered have, as you implied (or I inferred from what you said ), been prepared with a "script", and when you get them off that script, they're totally lost.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Mormons and JW's are very low on my list of effective evangelisers. They rely on rote learning and are unprepared for a knowledgeable response. It's easy to throw them for a loop.

I maintain effective evangelism has to be rooted in a mature spirituality with a genuine (and I mean genuine) interest in and compassion for the other person's experience.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The only ones who have contacted me in an evangelical manner in the past couple decades have been Mormons. They knock on my door, and they always show up in pairs and in their spiffy outfits, and I politely decline to talk with them about their religion.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Now, now, if you can, keep it exploratory rather than accusatory.

Leave a comment:

• shunyadragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Abigail wrote. "Jesus who in turn teaches us how to love others...." You obviously have failed to learn the "how" since you never fail to not show love in your posts. This aside from your dishonesty.
    Actually I find this more a problem with your postings then firstfloor.

Leave a comment:

• Yttrium
    replied
    The only ones who have contacted me in an evangelical manner in the past couple decades have been Mormons. They knock on my door, and they always show up in pairs and in their spiffy outfits, and I politely decline to talk with them about their religion. A Jehovah's Witness called me on the phone, and we had a running conversation once a week for more than a month, but she didn't actually seem to be trying to draw me in. We just talked about various topics in Christianity, not noticeably related to her offshoot of it, and she eventually stopped calling.

My grandparents (RIP) were convinced that Jesus would return in their lifetimes, and they were concerned that not nearly enough people had been "saved". I can sympathize with that point of view, although you'd think people would notice that every generation for the past couple thousand years has included many people who believed that Jesus will return in their lifetimes, and it hasn't happened yet. There are many Christians who honestly want to rescue people from imminent doom, and that leads a good portion of them to evangelize. So if I encounter evangelical types, I give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they're just trying to help me (rather than earning brownie points in their church). I'll smile and politely send them on their way, possibly thanking them for their concern if appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Yeah, note that I was writing my "Coffee Tent" post before I saw this one. I don't think we could have been any more subtle - we were just handing out free coffee, not expecting anything other than maybe helping people stay awake to arrive safely at their destination.
    Excellent. Expressing works with subtlety without hiding your religious identity seems like the best approach in making an impact.

Leave a comment: