Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My personal experience of evangelism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    When my nephews were tiny, they'd ask why I didn't take communion when visiting my brother's church. I told them, "I'm not a Lutheran."

It didn't exactly fool them, but it wasn't really intended to do so. They knew I simply sat quietly without bowing my head when grace was said, because they peeked, the rapscallions! Still, it did make another point I could stress when they were older, that differences in our religious beliefs could be respected.
    And do you now to bribe them with cookies?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I understand him very well even, though I may not totally agree with him. It depends on what knowledge is being passed on and how. He believes the passing on the knowledge of science in the manner it does. He does not approve of how knowledge is sometimes passed on in Christianity, particularly evangelism which depends heavily depends heavily on an emotional connection to the knowledge.
      Uh. Yeah. Thank you, Captain Obvious.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        firstfloor is my favorite tweb atheist
        Because he's the only TWeb atheist who is as provocative as you are?
        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Islam is growing mostly through a high birth rate and immigration, and the NoI's identity with black empowerment doesn't hurt either. South America is something like 90% Christian, and AFAIK that is mostly Roman Catholic. In that situation, the odds are extremely good that the small minority is going to have a better growth rate and a smaller percentage of nominal believers, and so conversion is almost inevitably going to be in the direction of the minority. I would like to see where you're getting your data.
          Sure. Its mostly coming from my reading of Philip Jenkins on the subject (specifically The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity). I thought this was more or less common knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Lutherans are the original Protestants.

But only confessional Lutherans practice closed communion. The ELCA for example practice open communion.
            I was confirmed in a WELS church and even attended a Missouri Synod church for a year during my catechism and I still can't receive communion in a Missouri Synod church!

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Not true. The message that everyone benefits if they love one another is not in the least problematic for atheists. It is not exclusively a Christian message.
              Nice try at distorting my words with your spin. The message is forgiveness of sin through Jesus Christ the rest is just the bounty that goes along with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Sure. Its mostly coming from my reading of Philip Jenkins on the subject (specifically The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity). I thought this was more or less common knowledge.
                Philip Jenkins is not high on my list of respected scholars. I've read his book on Eastern Christianity (the title escapes me at the moment).
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And do you now to bribe them with cookies?
                  Any self-respecting child will go with whichever side offers the best cookies.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                    Nice try at distorting my words with your spin. The message is forgiveness of sin through Jesus Christ the rest is just the bounty that goes along with that.
                    Then just to be clear, atheists don’t reject the message, they reject the magic.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment