Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My personal experience of evangelism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Mormons and JW's are very low on my list of effective evangelisers. They rely on rote learning and are unprepared for a knowledgeable response. It's easy to throw them for a loop.

I maintain effective evangelism has to be rooted in a mature spirituality with a genuine (and I mean genuine) interest in and compassion for the other person's experience.
    Yeah, this is probably a whole 'nuther thread, but the Mormons I have encountered have, as you implied (or I inferred from what you said ), been prepared with a "script", and when you get them off that script, they're totally lost.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, this is probably a whole 'nuther thread, but the Mormons I have encountered have, as you implied (or I inferred from what you said ), been prepared with a "script", and when you get them off that script, they're totally lost.
      True, the ones who visited me were always young and idealistic.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
        True, the ones who visited me were always young and idealistic.
        They are required to serve a 2 year "mission", usually right out of high school, and part of that is the door to door canvassing with their prepared script. I don't remember it exactly, but it basically starts with "do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God", then "Do you believe that God spoke through prophets of old", then "do you believe God can speak through prophets today", finally getting to "do you believe that Joseph Smith could be that prophet".

They are not really prepared to answer any of your questions, hoping you stay on script with them. When you get them off script, they ask if they can come back later with somebody else. Mind you, these young men are called "elders", which I always thought ironic.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Send them to my house. I LOVE talking to Mormons!
          Me too. As long as they aren't named seven-anything
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Me too. As long as they aren't named seven-anything

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Actually I find this more a problem with your postings then firstfloor.
              You mean THAN firstfloor?
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Note how Starlight's Christian parents seek moral approval from their godless dirtbag son, as if Starlight's morality is anything more than degenerate abomination. They should be on their knees begging the rest of us forgiveness for hoisting this jackass on us.
                Dang dude. That's a bit much, even for this forum...
                Last edited by DesertBerean; 05-01-2015, 12:32 PM.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They are required to serve a 2 year "mission", usually right out of high school, and part of that is the door to door canvassing with their prepared script. I don't remember it exactly, but it basically starts with "do you believe that the Bible is the Word of God", then "Do you believe that God spoke through prophets of old", then "do you believe God can speak through prophets today", finally getting to "do you believe that Joseph Smith could be that prophet".

They are not really prepared to answer any of your questions, hoping you stay on script with them. When you get them off script, they ask if they can come back later with somebody else. Mind you, these young men are called "elders", which I always thought ironic.
                  Interesting. I've noticed that they have a pretty big overseas missionary program too. Driving through northern Utah, there's always a big sign welcoming members back.
                  Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                    Interesting. I've noticed that they have a pretty big overseas missionary program too. Driving through northern Utah, there's always a big sign welcoming members back.
                    Yes, that's the "mission" that these young "elders" go on - it could be here in the States, or any foreign country. Some of the Mormons we used to talk to in the Mormon Forum had served in Japan, South Korea, and other places. The sign welcoming members back applies to all of these "elders" coming back from wherever.

Comment

What I mean is that although some Christians are attractive exemplars of their faith, I find them to be no more numerous than exemplary Buddhists, atheists, Hindus, and so on. I think it has more to do with spiritual development (see my other thread about this) than it does to the actual content of any particular faith.
                      For better or for worse Christians are still just human beings with all that entails.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        Actually I find this more a problem with your postings then firstfloor.
                        Sorry you see things that way.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          For better or for worse Christians are still just human beings with all that entails.
                          T'is why Paul said Imitate me as I imitate Christ.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Fine. Except ... Christians claim a special relationship with the transformative power of the Holy Spirit. There ought to be ivied che of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              You mean THAN firstfloor?
                              . . . more a problem THAN the postings of firstfloor
                              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Fine. Except ... Christians claim a special relationship with the transformative power of the Holy Spirit. There ought to be ivied che of that.
                                "ivied che"

Does that have anything to do with cookies?

Comment