Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian Objections to Serving Same Sex Couples are Disingenuous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    The Christian being addressed expressed that she is not convinced by the clarity of scripture. I am compelled, BY scripture, to point out the error of others, even other believers.

I have not commented otherwise in this thread, and if LeaC has an issue with what I said to her, she can address me herself. I am sure she doesn't need a self-righteous anti-Christan to defend her from big, bad me.
    You're not big and bad, just fundamentally boring and exuding a self righteous "this is my duty to tell you" attitude. It's like you never considered she heard that before. That's a mistake that many ideologues from atheist to Hubbardite to Smithite make.

Use some thought, not hackneyed, faux concerned twaddle. That's easy and takes no effort and you know it.
    That's why I said what I did. Don't get twisted.

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
      You could say that I don't want to face the truth about it, and I wouldn't disagree with that, but still... I can respect a Christian who believes it is a sin, but it's not something I want to argue about personally.
      Lying to yourself because of attachment to your friends?

Folly.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        This isn't a so much a Christian issue as a human one. Sorry to inform you that Mossy's solemn warning isn't exclusive to Christianity. I'd similarly insert myself into the discussion if a Scientologist or Muslim pulled the same crap.
        I don't care what your reasons are, nor do I care about your self-perceived consistency. Questions about how Christians should handle questions about sin and ethical issues is something that is to be solved amongst Christians themselves. People who stand outside of the Christian tradition have no authority to speak on this matter nor should they let themselves be deluded, like you, into thinking that they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          Lying to yourself because of attachment to your friends?

Folly.
          Maybe her admission about possible denial has something to do with having a friend or relative who is homosexual, which complicates matters. To call that "lying" rather than acknowledging the difficulty of "warning" homosexual friends and family members is pretty melodramatic and self righteous. Religious warnings tend to go over worse than keeping one's trap shut and letting God deal with the situation.

Comment

Maybe her admission about possible denial has something to do with having a friend or relative who is homosexual, which complicates matters. To call that "lying" rather than acknowledging the difficulty of "warning" homosexual friends and family members is pretty melodramatic and self righteous.
            Nonsense. The main problem is that she is avoiding Scriptural evaluation of homosexual acts - she doesn't "want to face the truth about it". At this point that's the issue - not about whether and how to 'warn' friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              I don't care what your reasons are, nor do I care about your self-perceived consistency. Questions about how Christians should handle questions about sin and ethical issues is something that is to be solved amongst Christians themselves. People who stand outside of the Christian tradition have no authority to speak on this matter nor should they let themselves be deluded, like you, into thinking that they do.
              And that's exactly how any ideologue comforted by authoritative groupthink would respond. Thank you.

Comment

And that's exactly how any ideologue comforted by authoritative groupthink would respond. Thank you.

Did it hurt when I told you to go away? Do you want a band-aid for the wound in your psyche?

Comment

Nonsense. The main problem is that she is avoiding Scriptural evaluation of homosexual acts - she doesn't "want to face the truth about it". At this point that's the issue - not about whether and how to 'warn' friends and family.
                  No, the main problem is you're being self-righteous in response to her admirable admission she might be in denial. Well played.

Comment

No, the main problem is you're being self-righteous in response to her admirable admission she might be in denial. Well played.
                    Oh dear, you've accused me of being self-righteous. How terrible, I now must deny it vehemently.

You liberals. Your MO is to use such attacks, disqualifying an opponent in an attempt to force them to defend themselves to distract from the issues at hand.

'Racist', 'self-righteous', 'intolerant', 'homophobe' - do you really think these work against me? Me?

Comment

Did it hurt when I told you to go away? Do you want a band-aid for the wound in your psyche?
                      You've become the Finnish LPOT.

Comment

Oh dear, you've accused me of being self-righteous. How terrible, I now must deny it vehemently.

You liberals. Your MO is to use such attacks, disqualifying an opponent in an attempt to force them to defend themselves to distract from the issues at hand.

'Racist', 'self-righteous', 'intolerant', 'homophobe' - do you really think these work against me? Me?
                        I only said "self righteous," not any of those other adjective. And, yes, you exude that quality.

Comment

How about not issuing the warning at all but assume the Christian being addressed knows these verses but interprets them as not being about "arguing with people about gay marriage"?

The most effective Christians choose their battles not because of cowardice or lack of principle but because there are more important fish to fry than hot button Daily Show topics.
                          Whag, I asked you why you judged mossrose's warning as self-righteous rather than a sincere?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You've become the Finnish LPOT.
                            I'll wear that as a badge of honor.

Comment

I only said "self righteous,"
                              Which fits in with the rest of them.
                              And, yes, you exude that quality.
                              Immaterial. You're just trying to distract from the very pertinent points that Christians have been bringing up to LeaC by attacking their characters. Your attempts are transparent, but for those who cannot see I have exposed them to light. Now begone.

Comment

I'll wear that as a badge of honor.
                                Really?

Comment