Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Evidence for the JEDP theory and the late-dating of the Torah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Quantum Weirdness;10157]Flood traditions are quite old. Some like Atrahasis are are at least 1700B.C.
    See here

As for creation see Glenn Miller's articles here

The language that I believe the Torah was written in wasn't Hebrew but transliterated into Hebrew from another (closely-related) language.
    From this, I don't think there is archaeological evidence for your position either though.
    Can you please clarify what is in bold though? Thanks.
    This is as hypothetical as it gets, there is absolutely no evidence of this in archeology.

I as far any evidence for Hebrew texts are the dead sea scrolls and two silver blessing scrolls. ALL after the exile. If you can come up with any more please do.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

[QUOTE=shunyadragon;10178]
      Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
      Flood traditions are quite old. Some like Atrahasis are are at least 1700B.C.
      See here

As for creation see Glenn Miller's articles here

This is as hypothetical as it gets, there is absolutely no evidence of this in archeology.
      I as far any evidence for Hebrew texts are the dead sea scrolls and two silver blessing scrolls. ALL after the exile. If you can come up with any more please do.
      Uh huh, it's hypothetical. I infer it from the Torah's universal attribution to Moses by the Jewish people and the internal claims of the Pentateuch.
      There is also this regarding the Pentateuch.
      We don't have any archaeological data supporting this idea, to be fair. But considering the other evidence, I think it is a good idea not to abandon the traditional idea as yet.
      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
      Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
      Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

[QUOTE=Quantum Weirdness;10200]
        Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Uh huh, it's hypothetical. I infer it from the Torah's universal attribution to Moses by the Jewish people and the internal claims of the Pentateuch.
        There is also this regarding the Pentateuch.
        This does not offer a coherent convincing argument. It simply says that it is true because large numbers of people believe it true. Argument by popularity is an unconvincing fallacy.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

[QUOTE=shunyadragon;10266]

This does not offer a coherent convincing argument. It simply says that it is true because large numbers of people believe it true. Argument by popularity is an unconvincing fallacy.
          I would say that it is external evidence like this.
          Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
          Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

[QUOTE=Quantum Weirdness;10464]

I would say that it is external evidence like this.
            The problem of naming the authors of the gospels runs into similar problems as the origins and authorship of the Pentateuch. They run into an evidence wall where the evidence offered here is much later testimony then the claim of origins and authorship in both cases.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM.

Frank

Comment

The problem of naming the authors of the gospels runs into similar problems as the origins and authorship of the Pentateuch. They run into an evidence wall where the evidence offered here is much later testimony then the claim of origins and authorship in both cases.
              But they can't be discounted. There is nothing improbable with Moses authoring the Pentateuch through someone else (like scribes) and since the traditions say that he did, the burden of proof is on the critic who claims that Moses did not author the Pentateuch. And these traditions also had to come about a certain way, didn't they. They were also fairly universal as well.
              Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

But they can't be discounted. There is nothing improbable with Moses authoring the Pentateuch through someone else (like scribes) and since the traditions say that he did, the burden of proof is on the critic who claims that Moses did not author the Pentateuch. And these traditions also had to come about a certain way, didn't they. They were also fairly universal as well.
                No, the traditions did not have to come about a certain way. No the burden of proof is not to disprove something that there is no evidence for authorship or text at the time they were claimed to be written.

Frank

Comment

There is nothing improbable with Moses authoring the Pentateuch through someone else (like scribes) and since the traditions say that he did, the burden of proof is on the critic who claims that Moses did not author the Pentateuch.
                  The burden of proof is on the claimant. You are claiming, in effect, that the traditions should be assumed reliable until proven otherwise. I don't know any reason I should believe that.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                    The burden of proof is on the claimant. You are claiming, in effect, that the traditions should be assumed reliable until proven otherwise. I don't know any reason I should believe that.
                    Better said then my post.

Frank

Comment

What evidence supports the above viewpoints? I would like to know.
                      JEDP is largely dead, at least in that form. While there are still some supporters, Whybray's work has largely shown the weaknesses of the hypothesis in favor of either a fragmentary collection (multiple sources) or a supplementary collection (a single document with later additions and deletions). Of the two, the fragmentary hypothesis draws the most support, but there is no consensus, or even a majority viewpoint. The JEDP hypothesis is still fairly popular in the US and in Israel.

The general consensus is that the earlier fragmentary sources were from just before or during the early part of the Babylonian Exile, and the later parts (and final compilation) was near the end or just after the Exile.

If you can find it, you can get more data on the arguments for the date from the Oxford Bible Commentary article "Introduction to the Pentateuch".

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                        JEDP is largely dead, at least in that form. While there are still some supporters, Whybray's work has largely shown the weaknesses of the hypothesis in favor of either a fragmentary collection (multiple sources) or a supplementary collection (a single document with later additions and deletions). Of the two, the fragmentary hypothesis draws the most support, but there is no consensus, or even a majority viewpoint. The JEDP hypothesis is still fairly popular in the US and in Israel.

The general consensus is that the earlier fragmentary sources were from just before or during the early part of the Babylonian Exile, and the later parts (and final compilation) was near the end or just after the Exile.

If you can find it, you can get more data on the arguments for the date from the Oxford Bible Commentary article "Introduction to the Pentateuch".
                        Interesting, do you have a reference or source.

Frank

Comment

Interesting, do you have a reference or source.
                          The paragraphs above are the distillation of the works of others I've gathered from reading journals, textbooks, and other materials. However, some good places to start:

* The Pentateuch in the Twentieth Century
                          * Whybray: The Making of the Pentateuch
                          ** Also see Who Wrote the Bible and The Bible with Sources Revealed for a defense against Whybray.
                          * The Problem of the Process of Transmission in the Pentateuch

It's not an easy subject to wade through.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                            The paragraphs above are the distillation of the works of others I've gathered from reading journals, textbooks, and other materials. However, some good places to start:

* The Pentateuch in the Twentieth Century
                            * Whybray: The Making of the Pentateuch
                            ** Also see Who Wrote the Bible and The Bible with Sources Revealed for a defense against Whybray.
                            * The Problem of the Process of Transmission in the Pentateuch

It's not an easy subject to wade through.
                            Thank you! I love to wade, but of course it will take a while.

Frank

Comment

No, the traditions did not have to come about a certain way. No the burden of proof is not to disprove something that there is no evidence for authorship or text at the time they were claimed to be written.
                              You're claiming that the traditional position is wrong. Thus you have the burden of proof as to why this is the case. What reasons are there to dismiss the traditons (which seem pretty unanimous)? They don't seem that improbable.
                              Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

You're claiming that the traditional position is wrong. Thus you have the burden of proof as to why this is the case. What reasons are there to dismiss the traditons (which seem pretty unanimous)? They don't seem that improbable.
                                I do not have sufficient reason to consider whether traditional positions are right or wrong. One way or another I need to base my view on the evidence and the consensus of scholars. Considering the scholars, tradition does not count much, first because it is biased by a emotional commitment of faith. The traditional view of Genesis is that it a literal history of the world, which by the evidence this is false.

Frank

Comment