Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah - the Clean and the Unclean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Their perception of the world's population is irrelevant to what I said. I asked what's the point of drowning that region when depravity had already radiated across the globe tens of thousands of years prior? My point being that regionalizing the event does nothing to fix the problem.
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

It would LOCALLY!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

It would LOCALLY!

He didn't say He regretted making that local population. =P

Comment

Their perception of the world's population is irrelevant to what I said. I asked what's the point of drowning that region when depravity had already radiated across the globe tens of thousands of years prior? My point being that regionalizing the event does nothing to fix the problem.
        Ah. I see what you're getting at. I don't really think the interpretation that the flood was local but may have bypassed people living elsewhere in the world makes a whole lot of sense out of Genesis 6:7-8. But then it should come as no surprise that I don't see concordism as the best approach here anyway.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Ah. I see what you're getting at. I don't really think the interpretation that the flood was local but may have bypassed people living elsewhere in the world makes a whole lot of sense out of Genesis 6:7-8. But then it should come as no surprise that I don't see concordism as the best approach here anyway.
          What approach makes the best sense to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Or, perhaps the localized region had some special significance and prominence to the authors and readers of the Torah (like...being the Promised Land).
            Their perception of the region isn't nearly as instructive as God's perception of the region, and His intent in drowning it, which seems murky in light of the general revelation (if that's actually a thing).

Comment

Their perception of the region isn't nearly as instructive as God's perception of the region, and His intent in drowning it, which seems murky in light of the general revelation (if that's actually a thing).
              I don't understand this post. I don't know what sort of distinction you're trying to make between the author/reader's perception and God's perception, or what you mean by general revelation.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I don't understand this post. I don't know what sort of distinction you're trying to make between the author/reader's perception and God's perception, or what you mean by general revelation.
                Re: author, it seems more human authored, so there's necessarily a distinction between the source data (God) and expression (many human story tellers and scribes to write the info down). Re: general revelation, we've since discovered through natural means that human beings were settled elsewhere on the planet, putting God's regret for making "human beings" in a whole different light. You see the distinction.

Comment

The flood story doesn't make any more sense regionalized. What exactly was the point of drowning a specific population when the depravity problem had already migrated across the planet?
                  Your point fails if the proposed local flood antedates the migration from the local area.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Re: author, it seems more human authored, so there's necessarily a distinction between the source data (God) and expression (many human story tellers and scribes to write the info down). Re: general revelation, we've since discovered through natural means that human beings were settled elsewhere on the planet, putting God's regret for making "human beings" in a whole different light. You see the distinction.
                    Hmm. I still don't get what you're getting at or how it engages with my post, but that's okay.

Comment

People may migrate from the final resting place of Noah's ark, but I think they would not go where it was far from the Mediterranean Sea. Here I must confess there is no evidence of a sudden and massive flooding since the last time the Mediterranean basin was dry. You see, there is evidence that where the Atlantic Ocean would mix with Mediterranean water, the Strait of Gibraltar, there was a dam of sorts. One day it burst open, but that was millions of years ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messinian_salinity_crisis
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Your point fails if the proposed local flood antedates the migration from the local area.
                        Your reply suggests that all human beings were at some point concentrated in that area.

Comment

Your reply suggests that all human beings were at some point concentrated in that area.
                          Yup. A distinct possibility.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yup. A distinct possibility.
                            A distinct impossibility given our understanding of human migration. Human beings radiated from Africa 60,000 years ago. They did not all coalesce in one region.

Comment

But they radiated from somewhere.

Comment

But they radiated from somewhere.
                                I acknowledged that in my post. I said they radiated from Africa to various continents. They didn't all settle where you believe they settled.

Early human beings were explorers. You deny this amazing evidence?

Comment