Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Miracles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Is God natural Shuny or supernatural?
    Natural
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Natural
      God is natural, really? In what sense? He is physical?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

God is natural, really? In what sense? He is physical?
        No God is spiritual. The spiritual nature of existence is in harmony with the physical and all is natural.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

No God is spiritual. The spiritual nature of existence is in harmony with the physical and all is natural.
          Again in what sense is God natural? Is He physical made or particles?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I suspect Shuny is simply denying the natural/supernatural dichotomy, which is a reasonable position.

Comment

The two of you are using different definitions of 'natural'.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

God is spiritual and natural.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  The two of you are using different definitions of 'natural'.
                  So be it. My view of the miraculous and supernatural events from the human perspective does not change regardless. All possible events described as miraculous and supernatural can very will be natural and not understood or verifiable as to the natural cause. This is especially true of the Healing claims that are the subject of this thread.

Seer has chosen to push this beyond the subject matter of this thread to the nature of God, the spiritual realms, and Creation by citing Baha'i scripture selectively and not reading his own references. So be it. I gave my response to these questions.

I have defined my definitions of natural, and how I use them. In terms of God's Creation and our physical existence; God Creates in God's attributes naturally in uniform consistent Natural Laws, and there are no contradictions outside this that would be 'supernatural.' The perception of the miraculous and supernatural is dependent on human knowledge, and evolves over time. Primitive humans may have considered diseases, plagues, natural disasters, and even lightening and thunder to be have supernatural causes, and even images in clouds to have supernatural explanations. Today these are normal natural events, at least for most sane people.

Bottom line is I may not define my terms in the context of those clinging to ancient world views and hiding in Plato's cave.

God is not a chess player with the white pieces,

God is the sea and we are the fishes.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM.

Frank

Comment

There is no empirical or deductive argument that can disprove miracles.
                    I think you have that backwards. Miracles need to be proofed. Non-miracle is the normative state.

NORM
                    When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                      I think you have that backwards. Miracles need to be proofed. Non-miracle is the normative state.

NORM
                      What is normative is not evidence against miracles, since by definition miracles are not normative.

Comment

God is spiritual and natural.
                        Shuny you are just making stuff up again. Please quote me where the Bahai faith teaches that God is "natural." I will be waiting...

Comment

Shuny you are just making stuff up again. Please quote me where the Bahai faith teaches that God is "natural." I will be waiting...
                          I explained my position. Actually in the Baha'i view ultimately God cannot be defined specifically as supernatural nor natural. The ultimate nature of God is unknown. I am using 'natural' as all of existence is in harmony with the nature of God. God's Creation reflects the attribute's of God, and Creation is a natural process.

Back on topic concerning the nature of these healing miracles.

Frank

Comment

I think we're arguing about the distinction between a pantheistic or panentheistic view of God against a more transcendent notion. There ARE some Biblical precedents for at least a panentheistic view of God. This blurs the distinction between natural and supernatural so as to make them practically meaningless. You may not agree with such a position but it is a legitimate one with a long history.

Comment

I explained my position. Actually in the Baha'i view ultimately God cannot be defined specifically as supernatural nor natural. The ultimate nature of God is unknown. I am using 'natural' as all of existence is in harmony with the nature of God. God's Creation reflects the attribute's of God, and Creation is a natural process.

Back on topic concerning the nature of these healing miracles.
                              No Shuny, you are just making up a definition of natural. You faith does not teach that God is natural in any sense of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                                I think we're arguing about the distinction between a pantheistic or panentheistic view of God against a more transcendent notion. There ARE some Biblical precedents for at least a panentheistic view of God. This blurs the distinction between natural and supernatural so as to make them practically meaningless. You may not agree with such a position but it is a legitimate one with a long history.
                                The view would be close to panentheistic. Pantheistic is actually close to an atheist view.

Frank

Comment