Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Miracles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Both mountain biker and you are fallible human beings.
    There was no question about what we saw Homer.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      So you do believe in miracles. So you are actually opposed to Tass' position.

Tass said:There is no good reason to think that these “miracles” don’t have a natural explanation, even if it's not understood at this stage. They are all anecdotal and none have occurred under controlled circumstances, which suggest they are probably faith-conditioned wishful thinking rather than miracles

You don't agree with that Shuny, since you do believe in actual miracles.
      You still have failed to read my post and respond.

To put it briefly All of Creation is natural and miracles are simply the natural not understood.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-01-2015, 04:06 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

You still have failed to read my post and respond.
        The reason I did not respond to your post Shuny is because you are again trying to have it both ways. Your view certainly does not correspond to Tass' So again, is the following a miracle Shuny? Yes or no?

‘Abdu’l-Bahá speaks of one of the greatest miracles of Bahá’u’lláh in prison in these words: "And this is one of Bahá’u’lláh’s greatest miracles: that He, a captive, surrounded Himself with panoply and He wielded power. The prison changed into a palace, the jail itself became a Garden of Eden. Such a thing has not occurred in history before; no former age has seen its like: that a man confined to a prison should move about with authority and might; that one in chains should carry the fame of the Cause of God to the high heavens, should win splendid victories in both East and West, and should, by His almighty pen, subdue the world. Such is the distinguishing feature of this supreme Theophany
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The reason I did not respond to your post Shuny is because you are again trying to have it both ways. Your view certainly does not correspond to Tass' So again, is the following a miracle Shuny? Yes or no?
          To put it briefly All of Creation is natural and miracles are simply the natural not understood. What was described in the reference is not a perceived miracle like seeing a fern floating above the ground. There was not a literal miraculous change of the prison into a garden or mansion.

You need to read your own references. No, you have not read nor responded to my first complete reference and post.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-02-2015, 06:41 AM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            There is no good reason to think that these “miracles” don’t have a natural explanation, even if it's not understood at this stage.
            So God is ruled out a priori?

They are all anecdotal and none have occurred under controlled circumstances
            Based upon your a priori rejection of supernatural intervention as even a possibility, I highly doubt a controlled experiment would sway you in any way.

which suggest they are probably faith-conditioned wishful thinking rather than miracles.
            Actually many people converted because of the supposed miracles.

it's worth noting that Keener is a NT scholar, not a qualified member of the health profession.
            What about the numerous cases where health care professionals were involved before and after the miraculous healing?

In fact there are many instances of spontaneous remissions, misdiagnoses and placebo effects.
            True, but this fact can't be extrapolated to dismissively hand wave the miraculous cases in question.

There are also many accounts of relapses of the condition after the so-called miracle healing – especially those of the hyped-up, emotionally charged Benny Hinn type.
            See above.
            Last edited by Scrawly; 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

There is I think a philosophical problem for Christians regarding miracles. It is often said in debates about the modern scientific revolution that Christianity is foundational to it since it puts the idea that the universe is regular and consistent.

Miracles OTOH posit a universe where God may intervene against natural law whenever he so chooses. These tow ideas seem contradictory to me. How can we, for example, study cancer rates in patients if miraculous hearings muddy the data?

The only solution that occurs to me is that such miracles must be very rare statistically. Why then do Christians pray so fervently (and in such large numbers) for healing?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                The following is a lecture given by Dr. Craig Keener on the topic of supposed modern day miracles. I am interested in the skeptical response to these reports. If you do not believe that supernatural healing by God is involved here, what exactly do you think is going on? Please watch the video before commenting:

LOL!

I feel sorry for those whose worldview demands that one suspend the laws of physics and common sense in order to be "true."

Why don't you submit these "miracles" to the Million Dollar Challenge: http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html

I wouldn't recommend it for the following reason:

1.2 How many people have applied for the Challenge?

Between 1964 and 1982, Randi declared that over 650 people had applied. Between 1997 and 2005, there had been a total of 360 official, notarized applications. New applications for the Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge continue to be received every month.

1.3 Has anyone ever passed the preliminary test?

No.
                NORM
                When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

To put it briefly All of Creation is natural and miracles are simply the natural not understood. What was described in the reference is not a perceived miracle like seeing a fern floating above the ground.

You need to read your own references. No, you have not read nor responded to my first complete reference and post.
                  How do you know that they are natural? You own Faith calls them miracles by name. And how is this: The prison changed into a palace, the jail itself became a Garden of Eden not a miracle?

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                    LOL!

I feel sorry for those whose worldview demands that one suspend the laws of physics and common sense in order to be "true."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-do-...e-in-miracles/

Belief in miracles is pervasive -- nearly 8 in 10 Americans say they believe in miracles, and 19 percent are non-believers. Personal religious beliefs have an impact on whether or not people believe in miracles.
                    It seems that belief in miracles is quite common. It looks like skeptics like you are the odd balls.

Comment

It seems that belief in miracles is quite common. It looks like skeptics like you are the odd balls.
                      Nine out of ten children believe in Santa Clause, too.

NORM
                      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-do-...e-in-miracles/

Well, they are Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                          The only solution that occurs to me is that such miracles must be very rare statistically. Why then do Christians pray so fervently (and in such large numbers) for healing?
                          Any port in a storm?
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                            There is I think a philosophical problem for Christians regarding miracles. It is often said in debates about the modern scientific revolution that Christianity is foundational to it since it puts the idea that the universe is regular and consistent.

Miracles OTOH posit a universe where God may intervene against natural law whenever he so chooses. These tow ideas seem contradictory to me. How can we, for example, study cancer rates in patients if miraculous hearings muddy the data?

Eh, no. As far as I can see the only thing you need to reconcile the idea of a regular and consistent universe where science is possible with a God who can intervene against the natural law whenever he so chooses is the ability to recognize miracles when you see one. That way any potential miracle won't "muddy the data".
                            Last edited by JonathanL; 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

By the way, what's a Protestant Catholic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn73J9A0SnU#t=719

That's at 11:59 if the URL doesn't take you to the correct time.

Comment

Thankfully since I recently witnessed an event (which I posted here) that had no natural explanation, nor is there even a theory on how such a thing could happen, I can fairly confidently say that I experience something that had no natural cause.
                                With all due respect, the fact you cannot explain it doesn't mean it didn't have a natural explanation.

BTW Tass, it is your lucky day - I took you off ignore. I bet you feel like you hit the lottery!
                                Oh joy unbounded!
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment