Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Samson's and Delilah's Interaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    Ok, he just maimed their tails then.
    Didn't say it was nice but the assumption that they all died seems unwarranted.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Didn't say it was nice but the assumption that they all died seems unwarranted.
      Fair enough. All were maimed and some died.

Comment

No, not personal incredulity. The obvious mythic pace and tone, combined with the other parts of the story that don't make sense.

Why is it important to believe this particular story is actual history and not myth?
        What do you mean "obvious mythic pace and tone"? This is still an argument from personal incredulity, one where you decide it is "obvious" due to your ignorance of other cultures. It's not important to believe this to be actual history just as it is not important to know that Julius Caesar was a real person, but it still does not warrant arguments from ignorance or such arguments from personal incredulity.
        The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post
          What do you mean "obvious mythic pace and tone"? This is still an argument from personal incredulity, one where you decide it is "obvious" due to your ignorance of other cultures. It's not important to believe this to be actual history just as it is not important to know that Julius Caesar was a real person, but it still does not warrant arguments from ignorance or such arguments from personal incredulity.
          That's all you needed to say. Thank you.

Comment

That's all you needed to say. Thank you.
            So this is all that you needed to say that you are unable to back your assertions?
            The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Fair enough. All were maimed and some died.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                If it makes you feel better, he's still wrong. Fur doesn't burn well and dragging things around doesn't necessarily make them more likely to burn.

Was it nice to the foxes? Of course not - but since he was doing even worse by setting them loose I'm not sure why this matters so much.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

So this is all that you needed to say that you are unable to back your assertions?
                  My assertion that Samson is, for various reasons, burdensome to believe aimed to show a metaphorical interpretation is equally valid. It's not important to believe as history, just like you said. Whatever you derive from it isn't diluted simply because you may regard it as a myth or extremely embellished history.

Comment

My assertion that Samson is, for various reasons, burdensome to believe aimed to show a metaphorical interpretation is equally valid. It's not important to believe as history, just like you said. Whatever you derive from it isn't diluted simply because you may regard it as a myth or extremely embellished history.
                    Oh, you were whiling away your spare time.
                    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                      Oh, you were whiling away your spare time.
                      That's pretty much what forum banter involves. You just whiled away some spare time with that cute reply.

Comment

That's pretty much what forum banter involves. You just whiled away some spare time with that cute reply.
                        I'm in!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Wait, what game are we playing? Trolling?
                          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

So I guess the illegal aliens in America must be Aztecs.
                            The Mayans are going to be so miffed when they read this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not equally valid, no.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                The Mayans are going to be so miffed when they read this.
                                I think this is Inca-rrect.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment