Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Samson's and Delilah's Interaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    The problem is, as Cow Poke pointed out,the context is alien--a totally other world.
    Actual quote, please.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And yet, somehow it is incredibly well known without having to be modernized. Go figure.

You really don't get out much.
      Sorry, I meant it's alien for us to conceive of a riddle that could cause a family to set the teller's father on fire.
      Last edited by whag; 02-03-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Actual quote, please.
        You said I didn't consider the culture was different than ours. What did you mean by that other than they behaved very differently?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante
          How do babies love us? By smiling? Crying? Peeing? Pooing? Babies don't "like" us until they're much older and capable of understanding what is to like and what is to not like.
          Babies surely do "like" us at a young age. Try leaving one alone for a while and see how happy it is when the mother comes back.

That's a much less cynical view than Teal's claim that we love them because of "cuteness."

Comment

Babies surely do "like" us at a young age. Try leaving one alone for a while and see how happy it is when the mother comes back.

That's a much less cynical view than Teal's claim that we love them because of "cuteness."
            It is happy because it associates the mother with providence, but that has nothing to do with liking a person. Whether or not your view is more or less cynical has no absolutely no bearing on its veracity.
            http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0226213448.htm
            Here, read up.
            The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post
              It is happy because it associates the mother with providence, but that has nothing to do with liking a person. Whether or not your view is more or less cynical has no absolutely no bearing on its veracity.
              http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0226213448.htm
              Here, read up.
              No, it's happy because neurochemical bonds began forming as soon as the newborn nuzzles with its mother out of the womb. We don't love babies just because they're cute.

Comment

You said I didn't consider the culture was different than ours. What did you mean by that other than they behaved very differently?
                I would really appreciate it if, in the future, you use the quote function, instead of misrepresenting what I said.

Thanks
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I would really appreciate it if, in the future, you use the quote function, instead of misrepresenting what I said.

Thanks
                  I've called him out on this a few times.

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  whag likes to create his own narrative based on another person's post and then attribute those ideas back to that person. Its a terribly dishonest habit that I wish he'd stop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    I've called him out on this a few times.
                    It's a bit disappointing, cause I really like Whag.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      You know this because you have the benefit of third person omniscience. Samson may not have been clever enough to figure that out.

Which assumes the intent was made clear. I don't think this is was all that obvious at the time. Samson certainly isn't portrayed as having gotten it, no matter if it would have been obvious to someone else.

I think we sufficiently established in the other thread that 1,000 isn't the accurate translation. Incidentally, I've been coming up against this usage more and more often, and it frequently seems to not be used as '1,000'.
                      Also, given that it wasn't exactly some kind of historical casualty record, and Samson seems to be boasting, it would fit well with ANE hyperbole. Kind of like how "Saul has killed his thousands, and David his tens of thousands"

Judges 15:16 Then Samson said,

“With a donkey’s jawbone
                      I have made donkeys of them.[a]
                      With a donkey’s jawbone
                      I have killed a thousand men.”

1 Samuel 18:7 As they danced, they sang: “Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands.”

Comment

It's a bit disappointing, cause I really like Whag.
                        I think his intentions for posting on TWeb are pretty rotten. As an anti-Christian, his primary purpose for posting here is to attempt to poison the faith of others, and to cause strife among believers when and where he can. If you really consider the spiritual ramifications of those sorts of actions, there's nothing to really like about it. People like him like to hide behind the fact that this is a "debate" forum, but I don't really think that holds much water. Debate is a relatively small part of the function of TWeb, and there are plenty of non-Christians on this forum who discuss and debate topics with Christians here without resorting to cynicism, contempt, and misrepresentation. Its those types of amicable discussions, the ones where each party can discuss a topic, learn from one another, and maybe grow in their worldview, or reconsider elements of it, that I think people get the most out of. This "I'm going to create another thread to show you how stupid your religion is" nonsense is not how you go about getting people to reflect on their beliefs, it just causes bitterness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          I think his intentions for posting on TWeb are pretty rotten. As an anti-Christian, his primary purpose for posting here is to attempt to poison the faith of others, and to cause strife among believers when and where he can. If you really consider the spiritual ramifications of those sorts of actions, there's nothing to really like about it. People like him like to hide behind the fact that this is a "debate" forum, but I don't really think that holds much water. Debate is a relatively small part of the function of TWeb, and there are plenty of non-Christians on this forum who discuss and debate topics with Christians here without resorting to cynicism, contempt, and misrepresentation. Its those types of amicable discussions, the ones where each party can discuss a topic, learn from one another, and maybe grow in their worldview, or reconsider elements of it, that I think people get the most out of. This "I'm going to create another thread to show you how stupid your religion is" nonsense is not how you go about getting people to reflect on their beliefs, it just causes bitterness.
                          I guess I try to see the best in people, and I'm particularly drawn (in real life) to people who need Jesus. I hear what you're saying, though, and appreciate your candor.

Comment

Thanks
                            From now on I will. Did you mean that Samson's culture is very different from ours? That's what I meant by alien.

Alien is an adjective meaning "not familiar or like other things you have known : different from what you are used to."

Based on that adjective and your intent in citing two different cultures, I'm not sure what your objection is. I'm sorry I offended you. I like you, too.

Comment

No, it's happy because neurochemical bonds began forming as soon as the newborn nuzzles with its mother out of the womb. We don't love babies just because they're cute.
                              It still remains that our reasons for loving babies has absolutely nothing to do with it liking us. The article I linked to shows that it is the baby's physical features, i.e. what makes babies "cute", that makes us want to care for them.
                              The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

From now on I will. Did you mean that Samson's culture is very different from ours? That's what I meant by alien.

Alien is an adjective meaning "not familiar or like other things you have known : different from what you are used to."

Based on that adjective and your intent in citing two different cultures, I'm not sure what your objection is. I'm sorry I offended you. I like you, too.
                                That's very different from what you said previously.

Originally posted by whag View Post
                                The problem is, as Cow Poke pointed out,the context is alien--a totally other world. It is alien for us to conceive of people like Samson who cause immediate discord upon meeting a family. His motives are weird and behaviors odd. Ditto his first wife's family and Delilah.
                                Do Mexicans come from a "totally other world" from Americans? The fact that it is "alien" for you to conceive of such cultures and behaviours is not a problem with the Biblical narrative, the problem is you. You're the one who's ignorant of other cultures and thus you finding their motives weird and behaviours odd is simply cultural bigotry. In my country, we've got lots of people who cause immediate discord upon meeting a family. I'm not saying that we condone such behaviour, I'm saying it is not uncommon, and for you to thus presume that it cannot happen is simply argument from personal incredulity.

Comment