Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Samson's and Delilah's Interaction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    Notice how Manoah asks the angel to come back to give MORE INFO on Samson? See how the angel repeats the same thing he told Manoah's wife?

You see that, right?

Last reply. Yes, I see that. That doesn't take away from the fact that Manoah clearly expected his barren wife to give birth to a child.

Unsubscribing so I don't end up back in here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Last reply. Yes, I see that. That doesn't take away from the fact that Manoah clearly expected his barren wife to give birth to a child.

Unsubscribing so I don't end up back in here.
      And why would he do that being unsure if he's an angel, I wonder? Trust of people isn't a virtue.

When the angel of the Lord did not show himself again to Manoah and his wife, Manoah realized that it was the angel of the Lord.
      I concede the being's non-return isn't really proof of the man being an angel. Not sure what Manoah's thinking is here. Certainly, it was an alien culture compared to today.

Comment

Two, in addition to the constant imbuing of strength. He rips off the gate after he had sex with the prostitute, meaning that God gave him the power to do that.

It's called the "Faith Hall of Fame" suspectly:

"time will fail me" says the Hebrew writer.
        Constant imbuing of faith? What?

I'm not sure you are getting the point of what the writer of Hebrews is saying. He is not calling them models of faith.
        The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

• Hitler

There, I said it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dante View Post
            I didn't say that. Read the post again.

Originally posted by Dante View Post
            I'm not sure you are getting the point of what the writer of Hebrews is saying. He is not calling them models of faith.
            You're right. He's calling them faithless heathen.

Comment

You know, that's interesting, because its not uncommon to hear Christians call the men and women in Chapter 11 models of faith, but I think you make a great point when you read on into chapter 12:

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
              Professor David L. Allen in his commentary on Hebrews writes,

Source: Hebrews by David L. Allen

12:2 This verse is introduced with the third participial phrase (lit.), “fixing our eyes on Jesus.” The prefixed preposition in the compound word in Greek indicates focused attention in the sense of "to look away" from everything else and to focus on one object or person. The present tense connotes action that is concurrent with that of the main verb "let us run." We are not to model our lives after the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11, but after Jesus who is the "author" and "perfecter" of faith. The use of archegos "perfecter" has the sense of "originator," "founder" or "author." It can also have the meaning of "champion," as reflected in Lane's translation of the phrase "the champion in the exercise of faith and the one who brought faith to complete expression."...Koester pointed out that Jesus is the pioneer and perfecter of faith in two ways: (1) he is the source of faith; and (2) he is the model of faith. Jesus is the source of faith in that by his death and resurrection, he has become the "source of eternal salvation" (Heb 5:9); he is the model of faith in that he trusted God as evidenced by his total obedience to the Father in the work of atonement.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

I didn't say that. Read the post again.

You're right. He's calling them faithless heathen.
                Sorry, let me correct myself:

Constant imbuing of strength? What?

Not calling them models of faith does not mean calling them faithless heathen. I'm not sure if you're able to read.
                The fact that science cannot make any pronouncement about ethical principles has been misinterpreted as indicating that there are no such principles; while in fact the search for truth presupposes ethics. - Karl Popper, 1987

Comment

Sorry, let me correct myself:

Constant imbuing of strength? What?
                  You know exactly what that means.

Not calling them models of faith does not mean calling them faithless heathen. I'm not sure if you're able to read.
                  I'm not sure if you're able to have a sense of humor.

Comment

Trolling isn't really considered one of the highest forms of humor, but whatever.

Comment

You know exactly what that means.
                      Actually I don't. Explain to me what exactly do you mean by "constant imbuing of strength".

Originally posted by whag View Post
                      I'm not the kind that finds ignorance all that much humourous.

Comment

Actually I don't. Explain to me what exactly do you mean by "constant imbuing of strength"
                        I'm not going to explain the strongman myth to you. You should know it. It takes less than 10 minutes to read, if that.

I'm not the kind that finds ignorance all that much humourous.
                        Lighten up. Don't be so serious.

Comment

I'm not going to explain the strongman myth to you. You should know it. It takes less than 10 minutes to read, if that.

Lighten up. Don't be so serious.
                          What I'm saying is that there is no "constant imbuing of strength".

Comment

What I'm saying is that there is no "constant imbuing of strength".
                            You'll need to explain more rather than assume I know what you're talking about.

Comment

You'll need to explain more rather than assume I know what you're talking about.
                              Please apply the same response to your statement regarding "constant imbuing of strength".

Comment

Please apply the same response to your statement regarding "constant imbuing of strength".
                                That Samson plainly didn't have super strength 24/7? That would make sense. Being strong all the time would not be the best thing.
                                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment