Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christians behaving badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    It's easy on this fairly conservative Christian site to find threads where the 'bad' behaviour of adherents to other faiths, or liberals, or agnostics, or atheists is held up for disapproval or mockery. Perfectly understandable.

I just thought that it might be useful to remind ourselves that Christians are also prone to extremes or lunacy from time to time. See it as an opportunity for humility and integrity, which is honestly how I intend it.

Here's one:
    Loony Christians are given screwballs in tektonics too. I posted a link to the video in the screwballs section the other day.

I wonder what church this was, and why they were okay with this?
    Last edited by Christy; 01-12-2015, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
      Maybe they felt sorry for him because he felt the need to make up such an embarrasingly stupid story to prop up his insecurities?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
        Loony Christians are given screwballs in tektonics too. I posted a link to the video in the screwballs section the other day.

There's this tradition I've noticed in a lot of the Evangelical/Charismatic churches I've visited or have been a member of over the years where they do this thing where they tell stories that are purposely used to shock people. To wake them up. Some of these things will come off as completely unorthodox teaching (they'll say something that's near-blasphemous), or it will manifest itself in teachings like we see in the video where the pastor will say something completely far out. Usually they'll walk the message back into sanity land, but sometimes they don't. I don't know if this particular pastor actually did what he said he did, but I'm certain he's exaggerating the event in order to hold the audience. I don't know where this tradition found its roots (I imagine it goes back to tent revival times), but personally I can't stand it. I really like most of the Evangelical churches I've been to outside of that penchant for dramatic storytelling.
        Last edited by Adrift; 01-12-2015, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          There's this tradition I've noticed in a lot of the Evangelical/Charismatic churches I've visited or have been a member of over the years where they do this thing where they tell stories that are purposely used to shock people. To wake them up. Some of these things will come off as completely unorthodox teaching (they'll say something that's near-blasphemous), or it will manifest itself in teachings like we see in the video where the pastor will say something completely far out. Usually they'll walk the message back into sanity land, but sometimes they don't. I don't know if this particular pastor actually did what he said he did, but I'm certain he's exaggerating the event in order to hold the audience. I don't know where this tradition found its roots (I imagine it goes back to tent revival times), but personally I can't stand it. I really like most of the Evangelical churches I've been to outside of that penchant for dramatic storytelling.
          I used to use some "handed down" stories, but when fact checking became so easy, I found out some of my favorite stories were either flat out not true, or difficult to verify.

I like to make sure that any real life application would be "found true" if fact checked by my audience.

One of my favorites was the guy who walked the tightrope over Niagara Falls pushing a wheel barrow, then asked for a volunteer to sit in the wheel barrow while he went over. (demonstration of the difference between believing and "believing in"). I had to reign that one in a bit because I couldn't actually find where Blondin actually asked for a volunteer -- he carried his manager on his back across the tightrope to Canada.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I start this thread with a few trepidations. Here are some things I am NOT saying:

1. Some Christians behave badly therefore Christianity is bad/dumb.

2. If some Christians behave badly it must mean Christianity is untrue.

3. The Christians behaving badly in these snippets are somehow representative of all Christians.

It's easy on this fairly conservative Christian site to find threads where the 'bad' behaviour of adherents to other faiths, or liberals, or agnostics, or atheists is held up for disapproval or mockery. Perfectly understandable.

I just thought that it might be useful to remind ourselves that Christians are also prone to extremes or lunacy from time to time. See it as an opportunity for humility and integrity, which is honestly how I intend it.
            Yes we are human, capable of every foible or sin that any other man is capable of.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I used to use some "handed down" stories, but when fact checking became so easy, I found out some of my favorite stories were either flat out not true, or difficult to verify.

I like to make sure that any real life application would be "found true" if fact checked by my audience.

One of my favorites was the guy who walked the tightrope over Niagara Falls pushing a wheel barrow, then asked for a volunteer to sit in the wheel barrow while he went over. (demonstration of the difference between believing and "believing in"). I had to reign that one in a bit because I couldn't actually find where Blondin actually asked for a volunteer -- he carried his manager on his back across the tightrope to Canada.
              Yeah, I'm familiar with pastors telling stories like that, and I suppose that's sort of what I mean, but there's been a number of times where, you know, right after praise and worship, the pastor will start jumping around on stage and hollar something like "God hates you!" You know, something really crazy like that, and the audience will be shocked like "woh! what is he talking about!?" and maybe there will be a few "Amens" in the corner, and then the pastor will walk that back and do a sermon about how God actually loves you, but hates sin, or something silly like that. I mean, that example is not a sermon I've actually heard, but that's sort of like the type of thing you might hear. Or the pastor might get all worked up and preach "did you know that you are all gods!" quoting Jesus in John 10:34 quoting Psalms 82:6, and then they'll walk it back and be like "ok, you're not really gods, but...". I mean, you might not get that at every Evangelical sermon, or maybe not even at most sermons, but you get it enough that you kinda learn the shtick after a while. I have an inkling that they think they're imitating Jesus' style of expressive aramaic type talk where he would talk about lopping off your hand and plucking out your eyes, but that exaggerated speech really doesn't carry over very well to a modern audience. But who knows, maybe it does since its common enough, and the audience generally seems to be into it. Not my thing though.
              Last edited by Adrift; 01-13-2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Yeah, I'm familiar with pastors telling stories like that, and I suppose that's sort of what I mean, but there's been a number of times where, you know, right after praise and worship, the pastor will start jumping around on stage and hollar something like "God hates you!" You know, something really crazy like that, and the audience will be shocked like "woh! what is he talking about!?" and maybe there will be a few "Amens" in the corner, and then the pastor will walk that back and do a sermon about how God actually loves you, but hates sin, or something silly like that. I mean, that example is not a sermon I've actually heard, but that's sort of like the type of thing you might hear. Or the pastor might get all worked up and preach "did you know that you are all gods!" quoting Jesus in John 10:34 quoting Psalms 82:6, and then they'll walk it back and be like "ok, you're not really gods, but...". I mean, you might not get that at every Evangelical sermon, or maybe not even at most sermons, but you get it enough that you kinda learn the shtick after a while. I have an inkling that they think they're imitating Jesus' style of expressive aramaic type talk where he would talk about lopping off your hand and plucking out your eyes, but that exaggerated speech really doesn't carry over very well to a modern audience. But who knows, maybe it does since its common enough, and the audience generally seems to be into it. Not my thing though.
                Ah, theatrics! Yeah, I'll pass.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This all brings to my mind that other sicko from Canada, Todd Bentley, who says that God told him to kick an elderly woman who had come to him for "healing" in the face with his biker boot, which he supposedly did.

I don't know how any believer (and I use that term very loosely in this context) can think that is acceptable behaviour from a so-called "preacher".

It disgusts me.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    This all brings to my mind that other sicko from Canada, Todd Bentley, who says that God told him to kick an elderly woman who had come to him for "healing" in the face with his biker boot, which he supposedly did.

I don't know how any believer (and I use that term very loosely in this context) can think that is acceptable behaviour from a so-called "preacher".

It disgusts me.
                    I think preachers sometimes mistake their gut feelings for something God told them. Common sense doesn't always kick in like it should.

Ok that was a great, albeit unintended, pun.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Ah, theatrics! Yeah, I'll pass.
                      Yeah, I guess its theatrics. I consider it just wacky, over-the-top preaching, but I suppose that's the same thing. Thing is, I've heard some of these very same type of pastors teach very sane, practical, moving, and powerful sermons at other times. In fact, some of these guys are some of the best preachers I've ever heard. Its just that every now and then you get that one teaching, or that one part of the sermon, that takes it to this place where I'm kinda looking around and thinking "am I the only one who thinks this is nuts?"

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Maybe they felt sorry for him because he felt the need to make up such an embarrasingly stupid story to prop up his insecurities?
                        Well, liar is better than child abuser...
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I start this thread with a few trepidations. Here are some things I am NOT saying:

1. Some Christians behave badly therefore Christianity is bad/dumb.

2. If some Christians behave badly it must mean Christianity is untrue.

3. The Christians behaving badly in these snippets are somehow representative of all Christians.

Here's one:
                          1. Some 'Muslims' behave badly therefore 'Islam' is bad/dumb.

2. If some 'Muslims' behave badly it must mean 'Islam' is untrue.

3. The 'Muslims' behaving badly in these snippets are somehow representative of all 'Muslims'.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

3. The 'Muslims' behaving badly in these snippets are somehow representative of all 'Muslims'.
                            Cool. Though I didn't realize that's how you felt.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

What are you actually saying?

Comment

What are you actually saying?
                                He's saying that he's completely missed the point of the thread, but, who cares, since he can still bash everyone else for not being as smart or spiritually discerning as he is.

Either that, or he's promulgating a position he doesn't actually hold, without making that clear up front, so as to 'enhance dialogue'.
                                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment