Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Weaknesses of atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eschaton View Post
    I have added a fifth video. I think it is a pretty interesting discussion concerning Aristotle and the "utility monster."

Very good!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I have added a fifth video. I think it is a pretty interesting discussion concerning Aristotle and the "utility monster."

http://youtu.be/meyg9MoFQhM?list=PLf...fZhuZ7vn3UKlxo

Aristotle is a little more than ancient and does not address the modern logical questions.

Does Aristotle prove God using morality? No Robert Nozick's thought experiment is too simplistic and unrealistic.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-21-2014, 12:25 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Aristotle is a little more than ancient and does not address the modern logical questions.

Does Aristotle prove God using morality? No Robert Nozick's thought experiment is too simplistic and unrealistic.
        Go away Shuny - you again have no idea what you are talking about...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

http://youtu.be/meyg9MoFQhM?list=PLf...fZhuZ7vn3UKlxo

Its a nice youtube video, but you make a mistake by merely saying that Aristotle believed that humans have a purpose. Its far deeper than this, and he argues for it, and doesn't merely take it to be a necessary belief in order to arrive at morality. Its something that can be arrived at through observation and deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Go away Shuny - you again have no idea what you are talking about...
            go away seer - Refer to Leonard's post. It is Robert Nozick's thought experiment, and not really Aristotle.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Ever notice how much time Shuny spends defending Atheism? Just a bit strange for someone who says they are a theist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Ever notice how much time Shuny spends defending Atheism? Just a bit strange for someone who says they are a theist.
                Been over this many many many times. I attack bad foolish arguments, and from this perspective they are out of date, childish ad foolish. I personally have debated atheists directly, and do not resort to this contrived dishonesty.

I will continue to do this.

Frank

Comment

Been over this many many many times. I attack bad foolish arguments, and from this perspective they are out of date, childish ad foolish. I personally have debated atheists directly, and do not resort to this contrived dishonesty.

I will continue to do this.

In that case, why aren't you attacking you own arguments? They are foolish and bad.

No, you identify with atheists more than theists. That is clear. You should at least admit it to yourself.

Comment

In that case, why aren't you attacking you own arguments? They are foolish and bad.

No, you identify with atheists more than theists. That is clear. You should at least admit it to yourself.
                    No they are NOT my arguments. They are contrived bad logic simply old outdated arguments to justify one's own beliefs. Please cite me correctly where I specifically identified with atheism. This is the gang of four slander of my beliefs rearing it's ugly head from the smelly bog, or the other rear.

Frank

Comment

No they are NOT my arguments.
                      Your arguments are not your arguments?
                      They are contrived bad logic simply old outdated arguments to justify one's own beliefs.
                      Yes, your arguments are that bad.

Please cite me correctly where I specifically identified with atheism.
                      This thread. The thread about the 10 commandments of Atheism. You constantly come to the defense of atheists. As if they could not take care of their own viewpoint and need your help. Yet you claim to be a theist.

This is the gang of four slander of my beliefs rearing it's ugly head from the smelly bog, or the other rear.
                      Oh please. I believe you THINK you are a theist, but I also think you need to be honest with yourself. Someone who says they are a theist and who spends more time defending atheism instead of theism is not being honest with his own beliefs

Comment

No they are NOT my arguments. They are contrived bad logic simply old outdated arguments to justify one's own beliefs. Please cite me correctly where I specifically identified with atheism.
                        Might want to reread what he wrote. He said that YOUR arguments (ie. the ones that you do use) are foolish and bad, and that if you're going to attack bad arguments, you might want to start with your own.

This is the gang of four slander of my beliefs rearing it's ugly head from the smelly bog, or the other rear.
                        Another great band! Not quite as legendary as the Stooges, but still great stuff.

Comment

Your arguments are not your arguments?

Yes, your arguments are that bad.
                          Please cite me properly, the archaic contrived, archaic arguments against atheism are not my arguments.

This thread. The thread about the 10 commandments of Atheism. You constantly come to the defense of atheists. As if they could not take care of their own viewpoint and need your help. Yet you claim to be a theist.
                          Actually no, I attack the bad arguments against atheism

Oh please. I believe you THINK you are a theist, but I also think you need to be honest with yourself. Someone who says they are a theist and who spends more time defending atheism instead of theism is not being honest with his own beliefs
                          Slanderous hyperbole.

Frank

Comment

I think Shuny is going senile.

Comment

I think Shuny is going senile.
                              Maybe in thirty years. at present senility is your problem. You have still failed to cite anywhere I identified with atheism. Still waiting . . .

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Might want to reread what he wrote. He said that YOUR arguments (ie. the ones that you do use) are foolish and bad, and that if you're going to attack bad arguments, you might want to start with your own.
                                He has never cited the supposed bad arguments I used!?!? I specifically attack the bad arguments used in this and other threads. Instead of mindless accusations, can YOU cite these bad arguments I made against atheism. So far my challenges have been specific in this thread as to what the bad arguments were presented by the Christians in this thread, ah . . . no response nor rebuttal concerning these arguments, just mindless accusations.

Frank

Comment