Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Animals Doing What Animals Do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    It is also true that populations that practice altruism and sharing do better. Behaviour is more complex than 'either/or'.
    Well no it isn't. Sure it is better for the tribe or group to practice internal altruism. That does not necessarily need to extend to outside groups or tribes. Just look how successful the Europeans were in North America by slaughtering the natives and taking their territories.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
    I wouldn't lose my mind if God didn't exist. I might go to a hooker once in a while because I'm really bad with women, but that's about it
    Yes, the story of my life - good booze, good dope and bad women...

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by whag View Post
    That's sweet. Seer, on the other hand, would go Nanking. He sees a correlation between animal predation and mass murder.
    What a silly argument whag - what if you or I were raised in 1920s Japan - we would probably both would done the same thing in Nanking. And mass mass murder is animal predation, because as you keep making clear - we are all merely animals.
    Last edited by seer; 11-17-2014, 08:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
    Not necessarily. Like I say I think it's complex. I also think that in today's global society that conquering tends to not go so well.
    Allow me to clarify: your stance is that behaviors that make population groups more successful are by definition "ethical"?

Some animals are social animals. Social population groups with behaviours we would characterise as 'ethical' are more likely to be successful. Add to that the human facility for reason and abstraction and an ethical philosophy based on principle becomes possible.

Leave a comment:

• pancreasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Indeed. So wouldn't you agree the evidence suggests that altruism within the population and conquering other populations is the best way to go?
    Not necessarily. Like I say I think it's complex. I also think that in today's global society that conquering tends to not go so well.

Leave a comment: