Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Neccesary existence, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Back to my point in another thread: What sort of evidence would you expect to find for the God of the Bible? If He is not a part of the created universe He won't leave a shadow (so to speak). Science has nothing to say about the existence or non existence of God.
    I wasn't just talking about science. I mean evidence like an unambiguous, undeniable display of miraculous power. God coming on the major news networks or something, to put it in slightly silly terms. Maybe someday I'll go back to deciding that the Gospels are good enough in that category, but right now I'm just not sure.
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
      I wasn't just talking about science. I mean evidence like an unambiguous, undeniable display of miraculous power. God coming on the major news networks or something, to put it in slightly silly terms. Maybe someday I'll go back to deciding that the Gospels are good enough in that category, but right now I'm just not sure.
      "To whom much is given, much is required." We assume that a greater display of God's power will more easily cause us to love Him. But why does that follow - what if it actually caused us to hate or reject Him more? Then we would receive a greater judgement. Perhaps God's hiddenness is saving countless human beings from a worse fate.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If a proposition is more likely to be true than the other options, then one ought to chose it over the others, yes?
        Yes, but Ockham's razor says nothing about which propositions are more likely to be true. It only says which propositions are easier to test.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm not sure I buy that, but I guess I don't have to counter it.
          Fair enough.

Originally posted by Kelp
          According to Lawrence Krauss, the singularity that became the Big Bang arouse from a sea of unstable particles and antiparticles. And anyway, from what I've seen, physicists tend to get irritated when people try to use their theories to point to an absolute beginning of everything. I don't see what that couldn't have existed eternally. I know you don't except that given the above, of course.
          Heh, as I recall many physicists originally came into the Big Bang tent kicking and screaming because of its theistic implications.

But even so, so what? The existence of a beginning logically requires a cause and refutes a 'steady state' or self existent universe. The BB isn't just 'lookie, now we have matter' event - its the beginning of physics as we understand it, space, time, matter, energy - the entire ball of wax. For the universe to be self existent it would have to pre-exist the BB and there is no way to know what, if anything, did. Then you get back to causality and the whole thing becomes problematic.

Something eternal must pre-exist the known universe - either God or some proto-self existent thingie. But whereas God is a Person and can act, the PSET (for want of a better term - mine is at least cute! ) is inanimate (since we are presuming it to be the universe, I'd presume in a different form - this one's more yours than mine) thingie (technical term ) and now you run into big causality issues. Not to mention the whole thing is a mere assumption - one lacking any evidentiary validity.

So if we toss evidentiary validity and just assume that a self-existent universe is possible then we can assume the PSET - but I think we just ran aground of the a priori fallacy.

Originally posted by Kelp
          It's true that extending quantum uncertainty to the macro level is currently problematic. But ok, let's go back to one universe.
          Yep, and I don't think it's just 'currently' but I'm good with single universe.

Unimportant side rant: technically, the multiverse should be part of the universe and not the other way around. Universe means 'everything' and there can't be multiples of absolutely everything.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Yes, but Ockham's razor says nothing about which propositions are more likely to be true. It only says which propositions are easier to test.
            Seeing as how it was invented to solve problems in medieval scholasticism, I feel ok using it to think about theological questions.
            O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

Sorry, I specifically said the God of the Bible. You are talking about some other God. Try again. Tassman has shown himself afraid to answer this question. But that is based on fear. I see you as actually seeking the truth (unlike the sniper Tassman). What sort of evidence would you expect to find from the God of the Bible? He is not subject to the universe in any way.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Seeing as how it was invented to solve problems in medieval scholasticism, I feel ok using it to think about theological questions.
                That is still a problem for you. I look at the world, it appears to be designed. No other assumptions needed.

Pure naturalism looks at the world and not only has to explain how it got here, but has to demonstrate the the evident design is false.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Sorry, I specifically said the God of the Bible. You are talking about some other God. Try again. Tassman has shown himself afraid to answer this question. But that is based on fear. I see you as actually seeking the truth (unlike the sniper Tassman). What sort of evidence would you expect to find from the God of the Bible? He is not subject to the universe in any way.
                  The fact that the God of the Bible won't do something like that makes me suspicious in the first place, however...

The Resurrection would be the main evidence, though I'm not quite ready to have that debate again, not least of all because I lost a lot of my old apologetics books in a house flood. The other proof I expect would be a structure to the universe such that we can see pretty clearly that we the universe requires a Creator. I'd be a far happier man if I were a Creationist or IDist. But since I'm not, I resort to the ontological questions in these threads.
                  Last edited by Kelp(p); 11-14-2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

That is still a problem for you. I look at the world, it appears to be designed. No other assumptions needed.

Pure naturalism looks at the world and not only has to explain how it got here, but has to demonstrate the the evident design is false.
                    Sorry, I don't agree that it looks designed.

Comment

Aristotle, quoted by Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor wrote, "We may assume the superiority ceteris paribus . . . of the demonstration which derives from fewer postulates or hypotheses."

I do not regard Ockham's Razor as a way to choose the best conclusion among others. Rather, it is an economy thing. It saves time and other resources. Why argue whether we need to include unicorns, fairies, leprechauns, hobbits, etc., if there is agreement that evidence for them is no more than rather slight?
                      The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        Aristotle, quoted by Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor wrote, "We may assume the superiority ceteris paribus . . . of the demonstration which derives from fewer postulates or hypotheses."
                        Right. I was referring to the way Ockham used it. One can't restrict it's usefulness just to the sciences.
                        Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        I do not regard Ockham's Razor as a way to choose the best conclusion among others. Rather, it is an economy thing. It saves time and other resources. Why argue whether we need to include unicorns, fairies, leprechauns, hobbits, etc., if there is agreement that evidence for them is no more than rather slight?
                        And some would put God in the same category. I'm siding with them, at least for the sake of argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Because that would be a steady state universe - which evidence doesn't support. If it is self-existent then it should have neither beginning nor end - an eternal thing. God meets those conditions (thing or Person works); the universe does not.
                          An infinite and eternal physical existence that is self-existent is a distinct possibility.

Now, if you move to the multiverse model it gets outright silly. Assuming a self existent multiverse with the condition that all possibilities thereby exist then God necessarily exists (since both He and that poor whale from Hitchhiker's exist, the latter rather briefly) which probably rules out the multiverse and definitely rules it out as self-existent.
                          I believe in God, but it remains distinctly possible for an infinite eternal Quantum World to exist consisting of one or more multi-verses or one multi-verse with many possible universes, based on what we presently know in science. At present there is not sufficient evidence to determine whether our physical existence is infinite and eternal or finite and temporal. ALL possibilities is not necessarily a requirement for a physical existence constrained by Natural Laws that limit the possibilities.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The fact that the God of the Bible won't do something like that makes me suspicious in the first place, however...

The Resurrection would be the main evidence, though I'm not quite ready to have that debate again, not least of all because I lost a lot of my old apologetics books in a house flood. The other proof I expect would be a structure to the universe such that we can see pretty clearly that we the universe requires a Creator. I'd be a far happier man if I were a Creationist or IDist. But since I'm not, I resort to the ontological questions in these threads.
                            Kelp, help me understand, a lot of the questions you're asking in these forums seem to be answered in apologetic books. I don't mean this maliciously, but have you read those books, or have you forgotten what they've said, or...?

Comment

Back to my point in another thread: What sort of evidence would you expect to find for the God of the Bible? If He is not a part of the created universe He won't leave a shadow (so to speak). Science has nothing to say about the existence or non existence of God.
                              There’s no way for science to empirically verify a hypothetical, non-material entity such as a god. Such a 'being' could only be known if it chose to reveal itself. And, while some believers claim such an entity has already “revealed” itself, they cannot support this claim with any substantive evidence. Hence, to date, “God of the Bible”, or similar alleged immaterial entity, cannot be shown to exist. Such a being is not supported by credible evidence.
                              Last edited by Tassman; 11-15-2014, 04:36 AM.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Kelp, help me understand, a lot of the questions you're asking in these forums seem to be answered in apologetic books. I don't mean this maliciously, but have you read those books, or have you forgotten what they've said, or...?
                                A combination.

Even back then I had a lot of problems with many of the arguments in books. Some of them I brought up on here, some of them I didn't or only in private because I didn't want to seem like a fake Christian.

It's been a long time and I've forgotten a lot (a good chunk of my research was never in books, but in online articles that I still need to get back to reading). Since joining Tweb the first time, a lot of my research shifted to more tangential areas like creationism or charismaticism or preterism or cults or Eastern Orthodoxy so I let my knowledge of central reasons for faith atrophy. Some of the apologetics books I bought and never got around to reading because I've always struggled with laziness and I have a lot of competing interests besides. I lost three-quarters of my library when our basement flooded. I'm just now getting back to a mental place where debating this stuff doesn't make me want to kill myself. I'm just now getting back to a place where my anger is under enough control to have discussions about it.

Does that help you understand?

Comment