Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My perspective on The Problem of Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    To what end? Why would there then be a time limit on anyone in Hell? I have no issue with hell as a 'do it yourself torment' but I'm not following the time limit/sentence/whatever that was that you were saying about an eventual end to being in Hell.

Option C: A God Who eventually gives us what we say we want. God isn't a quitter but He isn't a bully, either and there is a dividing line between the two.

Let's go back to the 'omni-persuader' thing of yours. Define this for me. Coming from a Poli Sci background, I find it a bizarre argument but I think the problem is in how you are defining 'persuasion' so I want that clarified if you don't mind.
    There isn't a "time limit" on Hell in the sense of an external finite sentence from God or anything like that. Hell is created by the rejector's own obstinacy and hatred of God. "Getting out" doesn't occur until the believer really comes to repent of their sins and love God.

For me it's a simple extension of what happens in life when God regenerates someone. You and I are both more or less Arminians, so I'll argue from that vein exclusively to keep things the simplest.

We both believe that God woos us at various times in our life, giving us grace to see our rebellion and the option accept Him or reject Him. He keeps on "knocking" until we open the door. Since sin is fundamentally the rejection of God and sin always causes suffering in one way or another, continuing to reject Him is basically to be in our private Hell. Even if we do not always realize this in life, we certainly will after death. So, yes, God does give us what we want, just like He does in life when people reject Him.

Where I depart from the mainstream is simply that I don't see why God should give up after the End. Either He imposes an artificial limit on His own compassion, which makes no sense. Or there are human beings who are capable of outlasting Him. This is where my admittedly clunky term, "omni-persuasiveness" comes in. Chesterton famously described grace as "the hound of Heaven." God is relentless in this life, always coming back to us, always appealing to our wills to accept Him.

I don't, mean that God tries to "negotiate" us into Heaven or anything like that. But any synergist has to admit that there are things about what goes on in Prevenient Grace that we don't really understand, right? God just keeps coming back and knocking at the door to our hearts. Time, after time, after time, however long it takes Him. The only difference between us that I can see, is that I extend the process into eternity. Eventually the hardest heart in the universe, no matter how much they insist on remaining in Hell, will give in to God's grace and come to love Him, repent, and extinguish the fires of Hell forever with their own tears.
    O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

• Okay, I'll come back to this when I've had some time to think about it.

Thanks.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelp(p) View Post
        There isn't a "time limit" on Hell in the sense of an external finite sentence from God or anything like that. Hell is created by the rejector's own obstinacy and hatred of God. "Getting out" doesn't occur until the believer really comes to repent of their sins and love God.

For me it's a simple extension of what happens in life when God regenerates someone. You and I are both more or less Arminians, so I'll argue from that vein exclusively to keep things the simplest.

We both believe that God woos us at various times in our life, giving us grace to see our rebellion and the option accept Him or reject Him. He keeps on "knocking" until we open the door. Since sin is fundamentally the rejection of God and sin always causes suffering in one way or another, continuing to reject Him is basically to be in our private Hell. Even if we do not always realize this in life, we certainly will after death. So, yes, God does give us what we want, just like He does in life when people reject Him.

Where I depart from the mainstream is simply that I don't see why God should give up after the End. Either He imposes an artificial limit on His own compassion, which makes no sense. Or there are human beings who are capable of outlasting Him. This is where my admittedly clunky term, "omni-persuasiveness" comes in. Chesterton famously described grace as "the hound of Heaven." God is relentless in this life, always coming back to us, always appealing to our wills to accept Him.

I don't, mean that God tries to "negotiate" us into Heaven or anything like that. But any synergist has to admit that there are things about what goes on in Prevenient Grace that we don't really understand, right? God just keeps coming back and knocking at the door to our hearts. Time, after time, after time, however long it takes Him. The only difference between us that I can see, is that I extend the process into eternity. Eventually the hardest heart in the universe, no matter how much they insist on remaining in Hell, will give in to God's grace and come to love Him, repent, and extinguish the fires of Hell forever with their own tears.
        To clarify then are you agreeing with Rob Bell's approach he outlines in his book Love Wins?
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          To clarify then are you agreeing with Rob Bell's approach he outlines in his book Love Wins?
          Never read it.
          O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Okay, I'll come back to this when I've had some time to think about it.

Thanks.
            No prob

Comment