Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ontological Argument?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    “For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” – Charles Bukowski
    Charles was an idiot and a poor excuse for a god, and a drunk....
    Last edited by seer; 10-31-2014, 01:34 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by adrift View Post
      "in this moment, i am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, i am enlightened by my intelligence." - some guy on the internet

lol...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The traditional ontological arguments set out to show by reason a proof for the existence of God. The argument presupposes existence. Now existence exists, and cannot be said not to exist. Such an existence is self existent and is not in need of any God whatsoever.

That existence exists is the fundamental self evident truth of all self evident truths.
        The law of identity.
        The law of non-contradiction.
        The law of the excluded middle.

All of these laws are contingent on existence existing and are self evident truths, self existent along with existence existing.

2 + 2 = 4 is a self evident truth. Why does 2 + 2 = 4 for example need a God?
        Last edited by 37818; 10-31-2014, 02:03 PM.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I don't know much about Nominalism. Would you deny that the laws of logic are universal and immutable?
          In my view, not all laws of Logic are universal, because from the human perspective the Laws of Logic are often frequently manipulated to suit ones own agenda, and not immutable. The foundation of scientific methodology is based on the Law of non-contradiction holding universally without exception nor qualification.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
            The traditional ontological arguments set out to show by reason a proof for the existence of God. The argument presupposes existence. Now existence exists, and cannot be said not to exist. Such an existence is self existent and is not in need of any God whatsoever.

That existence exists is the fundamental self evident truth of all self evident truths.
            The law of identity.
            The law of non-contradiction.
            The law of the excluded middle.

All of these laws are contingent on existence existing and are self evident truths, self existent along with existence existing.

2 + 2 = 4 is a self evident truth. Why does 2 + 2 = 4 for example need a God?
            I will agree, sort of, if human bias, qualifications, and conditions do not interfer, and the problem results that the Laws of Logic are misused from the human perspective to justify a personal or metaphysical agenda.

Would you accept that the nature of our physical existence is uniform and consistent in time and space and conforms to the Law of non-contradiction?
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-31-2014, 02:39 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              In my view, not all laws of Logic are universal, because from the human perspective the Laws of Logic are often frequently manipulated to suit ones own agenda, and not immutable. The foundation of scientific methodology is based on the Law of non-contradiction holding universally without exception nor qualification.
              Either the laws of of logic are universal and immutable or they are not. You can not claim that the Law of non-contradiction is universal while bringing the other laws into question.

Comment

Either the laws of of logic are universal and immutable or they are not. You can not claim that the Law of non-contradiction is universal while bringing the other laws into question.
                I'll actually agree with Seer, on this one, at least insofar as the Big Three and any direct deductions from them are concerned. Non-Contradiction doesn't actually have any utility in the absence of Identity and Excluded Middle.
                "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                  I'll actually agree with Seer, on this one...
                  Be still my heart...

Comment

Be still my heart...
                    I know, right? Maybe we should bookmark this one, just to prove that it's happened. :)
                    "[Mathematics] is the revealer of every genuine truth, for it knows every hidden secret, and bears the key to every subtlety of letters; whoever, then, has the effrontery to pursue physics while neglecting mathematics should know from the start he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."
                    --Thomas Bradwardine, De Continuo (c. 1325)

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Pythagoras View Post
                      I know, right? Maybe we should bookmark this one, just to prove that it's happened. :)
                      You're right - no one will believe it!

Comment

Well. ah . . . it is more the application of the Laws of Logic that I seriously bring into question from the human perspective, as with Mr. Black's presupositional Christian worldview concerning the use of the Laws of logic. There are likely Laws of Logic that apply universally whether Naturalism or Theism is true, but humans tend to muck things up when they try to hard to justify their own worldview misusing Logic. It tends to be kind of circular in reasoning.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-31-2014, 03:29 PM.

Frank

Comment

I will agree, sort of, if human bias, qualifications, and conditions do not interfere, and the problem results that the Laws of Logic are misused from the human perspective to justify a personal or metaphysical agenda.

Would you accept that the nature of our physical existence is uniform and consistent in time and space and conforms to the Law of non-contradiction?
                          If I understand you correctly. Yes.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            If I understand you correctly. Yes.
                            This would confirm the knowledge and methods of science concerning the nature and the history of our universe, solar system earth and life on earth, is in conformity to the Law of non-contradiction.

Frank

Comment

This would confirm the knowledge and methods of science concerning the nature and the history of our universe, solar system earth and life on earth, is in conformity to the Law of non-contradiction.
                              Yes Shuny, and we know that, because as both our religions teach, God created it that way.

As you so rightly said:

Yes, God Created humanity as an intelligent rational and logical spiritual being, and Created our physical existence as uniform, consistent, non-contradictory, and intelligible to human intelligence and abilities to understand its physical nature.

Comment

Jumping off another thread - I'm not sure where the fault in the Ontological Argument is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontological_argument
                                The problem, and the part that you conveniently omitted, is that Anslem was defining the eternal existence as a "being" based on his assumption that because such a "being" exists in his imagination it must needs exist also in reality.

Comment