Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

YES ... evolution is a religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Religion and science are different words ‘cos they’re different thaangs. – said with a slow-witted drawl in the style of Forrest Gump.
    Actually ... they say theology is the queen of all science.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Trouty, you've jumped off the deep end again.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by MehGerbil View Post
        I think it is meant to be a discussion of how some people's approach to evolutionary faith is identical to some people's approach to religious faith.
        I was thinking exactly the same thing, except for the part where it wasn't about trolling for flame warriors.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          I was thinking exactly the same thing, except for the part where it wasn't about trolling for flame warriors.
          There is a fine line between apologetics and trolling and I've misplaced my reading glasses.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
            Actually ... they say theology is the queen of all science.
            Once upon a time it was but it has been resting on its laurels for a long time. It failed to keep up or renew itself. The time by my watch is Darwin + 150 years.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Once upon a time it was but it has been resting on its laurels for a long time. It failed to keep up or renew itself. The time by my watch is Darwin + 150 years.
              As interesting as this nonsense may be I'm captivated by your signature line which reads "Adam did not fall".
              Help me out here, was he pushed?
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

There is a fine line between apologetics and trolling and I've misplaced my reading glasses.
                Looks like a whole truck-load got lost at the warehouse.

Comment

As interesting as this nonsense may be I'm captivated by your signature line which reads "Adam did not fall".
                  Very briefly, the story of Adam and Eve is about growing up. They start as childlike innocents and become godlike mortals. The disobedience is the result of God’s deliberate and protective white lie. There is more discussion of this in God's Word.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Comment

Very briefly, the story of Adam and Eve is about growing up. They start as childlike innocents and become godlike mortals. The disobedience is the result of God’s deliberate and protective white lie. There is more discussion of this in God's Word.
                      Did you used to post as a Christian here, FF? Under a different name? I might be wrong, but I think i remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                        Did you used to post as a Christian here, FF? Under a different name? I might be wrong, but I think i remember that.
                        No, I have always been firstfloor. Regarding The Fall you need to appreciate that Christianity reads a theological overlay in Genesis that is not there in the raw text. Genesis is pre-Christian by hundreds of years so if you want to understand it as written you need to forget the Christian theology.

Comment

Yes!
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                            Y'all just believe what the priesthood of white coated science says. You haven't done the math for yourself. You are just in lockstep agreement with those who validate your worldview.

That's fine by me, whatevs ... But for the love of Pete, just admit it.
                            Trout

I do the math myself. religion is not a science. The Baha'i Faith is my religion, the science of geology was my vocation before I retired.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 01-25-2014, 01:40 PM.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

No, I have always been firstfloor. Regarding The Fall you need to appreciate that Christianity reads a theological overlay in Genesis that is not there in the raw text. Genesis is pre-Christian by hundreds of years so if you want to understand it as written you need to forget the Christian theology.
                              Take out the word pre-Christian and Christian theology. and put atheist.
                              "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                              "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                              Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                Trout

I do the math myself. religion is not a science. The Baha'i Faith is my religion, the science of geology was my vocation before I retired.
                                How did you come to the belief that evolution was in fact true (assuming that is your position)
                                The last Christian left at tweb

Comment