Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What Happened in the Real Beginning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Illusive or elusive? Both?

In any case, you seem to have no comprehension of the point I was actually trying to make.
    Original sin isn't *just* a single event but was caused by an event or protracted series of events that made us what we should not be--imperfect. Forget about shunya. Am I getting warm?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      Original sin isn't *just* a single event but was caused by an event or protracted series of events that made us what we should not be--imperfect. Forget about shunya. Am I getting warm?
      There's more than one way to define the term; I use it here to refer to the general state of fallen-ness.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

There's more than one way to define the term; I use it here to refer to the general state of fallen-ness.
        By expunging Satan from the picture, you have an interesting view of the devolved human state. What makes you think that monotheistic belief preceded animism? Just the bible?

Comment

By expunging Satan from the picture, you have an interesting view of the devolved human state.
          We've already been over this: Satan isn't necessary.

What makes you think that monotheistic belief preceded animism? Just the bible?
          I have no way of knowing whether monotheism preceded animism.
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

We've already been over this: Satan isn't necessary.
            I know. That's why I said you "expunged" satan as irrelevant to the event. If Satan's out of the picture, the same fall event transpires.

Originally posted by Spartacus
            I have no way of knowing whether monotheism preceded animism.
            Weren't the first "Adams" monotheistic? I'm assuming you have a protracted view of the fall, and I just want to try to understand it.

Comment

Illusive or elusive? Both?

In any case, you seem to have no comprehension of the point I was actually trying to make.
              If you were making the point that there is possible proof, I am still waiting. If not please explain.

I gave a reasonable reference as to the nature of the Christian belief in 'original sin,' and it is just that the original or first sin of Adam and Eve that caused the Fall and sinful nature of all future generations of humanity.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The fog index is a bit high here. No your not getting warm. At present you're rather fuzzy and luke warm.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  The fog index is a bit high here. No your not getting warm. At present you're rather fuzzy and luke warm.
                  I think Christianity is becoming more ambiguous as the "general revelation" unfolds. That state of affairs has literalists digging their heels in and more moderates forced to imagine a protracted "falling," rather a historic incident, which can play havoc with an absolutist worldview like Christianity.

Comment

I think Christianity is becoming more ambiguous as the "general revelation" unfolds. That state of affairs has literalists digging their heels in and more moderates forced to imagine a protracted "falling," rather a historic incident, which can play havoc with an absolutist worldview like Christianity.
                    I think the ambiguity creeps in when the evidence for the ancient literature of Genesis being the foundation of the Doctrine and Dogma of Christianity as the Original Sin and Fall of humanity unravels. The literalists take the stonewall and siege mentality approach, while the moderate to liberal movements do what they can to shore up their beliefs with revisionist humanist rewrite of the basis for their beliefs.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      I think the ambiguity creeps in when the evidence for the ancient literature of Genesis being the foundation of the Doctrine and Dogma of Christianity as the Original Sin and Fall of humanity unravels. The literalists take the stonewall and siege mentality approach, while the moderate to liberal movements do what they can to shore up their beliefs with revisionist humanist rewrite of the basis for their beliefs.
                      That seems to be the case, doesn't it?

Here's a good Pete Enns essay on that problem:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pete-e...b_5902534.html

Comment