Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Laws Of Nature, A Violation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Laws Of Nature, A Violation?

I hesitated re-posting this here because I know I will be mocked or that my sanity or veracity will be questioned. But after two days of reflection I thought I would take a chance. I can only say that I'm relating this story as honestly as I can.

I wasn't sure which board to post this on, so I'll try this one. I think I experienced something this morning that seemed to defy the laws of nature. I'm out for my morning walk before church in my favorite wood. I was struggling with deep doubt, and for some reason, in that doubt, I just, from the heart, asked God for forgiveness - not necessarily for the doubt, but just in general. Then I had a clear and powerful sense of thankfulness. So I'm walking down this path, about 50 yards past my confession point, and I see a fern suspended in mid air. It wasn't the whole plant, just about 6 or 8 inches of the top of a plant. Now it was a mildly windy morning so I thought some kind of wind vortex was holding it there. But as I watched a breeze would come up, the fern would move a few inches with the breeze then come back right in front of me - at eye level. The wind did not take it away, as I normally would have thought. This happened a number of times, so I thought this must be being held by in a spider web that I just didn't see - so while the fern was gently dancing in front of me I ran my hand and arm all around it - it was not connected to anything. This went on for 12-14 minutes. The fern, always standing straight up and down, would move down to about to about a foot off the ground then up again to about eye level. In very gently motions. There was such a tenderness about the movements it is hard to explain. Again a breeze would come the fern would move a few inches to the right, then once the breeze stopped in slowly moved back in front of my eyes. Like I said, I watched this for 12-14 minutes and as I walked away I kept looking back and she was still in her place.

Now I'm 61 one years old and have enjoyed nature all of my life and I have seen all manner of weather conditions and their consequences - but I have never seen something so seemingly violate the laws of nature. Was it the tender hand of God, I think it was - though I could never prove it.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Anecdotal personal testimony of an apparent miraculous event could not falsify the Laws of Nature. Mirages and unexplained sightings of various sorts are a common event.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Anecdotal personal testimony of an apparent miraculous event could not falsify the Laws of Nature. Mirages and unexplained sightings of various sorts are a common event.

Well if you have a natural explanation I would like to hear it because I have been racking my brain to come up with one.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No matter what the "cause", seer, it seems to me that God was answering your doubt with a sign for you. Even if it were some weird wind vortex, the timing seems to be such that it came at a time when you needed it.

Something similar happened to me once. I was seriously doubting and asked God to show me if he was real. I was driving down a road at night, one I drove down several dozen times before, and just before I passed under a street light, it went out. Then the next one did, and the next one, for 10 lights. Sure I could come up with an explanation, like maybe conditions were just perfect that night for my headlights to reflect in the perfect way to hit the daylight sensors on the streetlights, making them go out. But it happened right when I needed it to. so even if it were a completely natural phenomenon, it happened at the perfect time. It has never happened before or after I drove down that road and I did so for several years before I moved. Sometimes God uses miracles, and sometimes God can use ordinary means in unusual circumstances to give us signs or lift our spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          No matter what the "cause", seer, it seems to me that God was answering your doubt with a sign for you. Even if it were some weird wind vortex, the timing seems to be such that it came at a time when you needed it.
          I think that is what happened. This was so out of the ordinary.

Something similar happened to me once. I was seriously doubting and asked God to show me if he was real. I was driving down a road at night, one I drove down several dozen times before, and just before I passed under a street light, it went out. Then the next one did, and the next one, for 10 lights. Sure I could come up with an explanation, like maybe conditions were just perfect that night for my headlights to reflect in the perfect way to hit the daylight sensors on the streetlights, making them go out. But it happened right when I needed it to. so even if it were a completely natural phenomenon, it happened at the perfect time. It has never happened before or after I drove down that road and I did so for several years before I moved. Sometimes God uses miracles, and sometimes God can use ordinary means in unusual circumstances to give us signs or lift our spirits.
          Yes, I have experience some events that seemed to defy coincidence, but this later experience really rock my world. I'm still, in my mind, trying find a natural explanation.

Comment

Yes, I have experience some events that seemed to defy coincidence, but this later experience really rock my world. I'm still, in my mind, trying find a natural explanation.
            And the more extraordinary it is, the harder the person will try. I put it down to the mind of the flesh not being happy.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              And the more extraordinary it is, the harder the person will try. I put it down to the mind of the flesh not being happy.
              You know tabibito, the more I think about this experience the more I believe it was supernatural, but something in me does not want to accept that. It could be my "flesh" - I'm not sure.

Comment

I remember thinking - "this is the 20th Century...this kind of thing is superstitious nonsense."
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I remember thinking - "this is the 20th Century...this kind of thing is superstitious nonsense."
                  Even as a Christian, I don't like things that don't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Even as a Christian, I don't like things that don't make sense.
                    It made perfect sense at the time, and couldn't even be said to be unexpected, which isn't to say that it was expected. After that, I spent a week (or maybe 5 days) trying to convince myself that it hadn't happened. (36 years ago, and I didn't keep a diary).
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It made perfect sense at the time, and couldn't even be said to be unexpected, which isn't to say that it was expected. After that, I spent a week (or maybe 5 days) trying to convince myself that it hadn't happened. (36 years ago, and I didn't keep a diary).
                      Can you tell us exactly what happened?

Comment

It was the day I decided to commit to Christ (while I was at work), maybe an hour or so later. I was witnessing to a Satanic priestess who wanted out. Just a small display of telekinesis that gave her confidence enough to believe what I was saying and take the offer of salvation.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It was the day I decided to commit to Christ (while I was at work), maybe an hour or so later. I was witnessing to a Satanic priestess who wanted out. Just a small display of telekinesis that gave her confidence enough to believe what I was saying and take the offer of salvation.
                          Telekinesis - interesting, did you move something with your mind? Or know something you should not haven't known?

Comment

Not with my mind - and telekinesis is only a very rough description. Just a bristling feeling at the back of my head and then a bluish coloured ball of light travelling away from me (again, not an accurate description but as good as I can give - passing through my eyes) and striking a billiard ball. It was enough to convince the lady that she was safe, but she only saw the result, not the ball of light.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Miracles don't falsify anything. The Laws of Nature are just norms. It's possible to go against a norm.
                              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment