Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Laws Of Nature, A Violation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or know something you should not haven't known?
    Prophecy?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Not with my mind - and telekinesis is only a very rough description. Just a bristling feeling at the back of my head and then a bluish coloured ball of light travelling away from me (again, not an accurate description but as good as I can give - passing through my eyes) and striking a billiard ball. It was enough to convince the lady that she was safe, but she only saw the result, not the ball of light.
      Ok thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced something so unusual.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        There's a lot of people around - but most learn to keep their mouths shut. It's only the past 2 years or so that I have been willing to say anything much, and even then only with extreme caution. Maybe a month or so since I decided it is better to open my mouth and be considered a fool.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Well if you have a natural explanation I would like to hear it because I have been racking my brain to come up with one.
          Mirages, dream experiences and false visions (anecdotal claims and wishful thinking, like hoping for a sign.) which are common from many different religious and personal perspectives. Our visual experiences are notoriously unreliable.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Millions of people report seeing and experiencing unusual things from many different personal and religious perspectives. These remain questionable anecdotal experiences beyond simply a personal experience of unknown cause.

To be considered a 'violation of Natural Law' it would have to falsifiable to confirm the reality of the experience in light of Natural Law. It is easy to conclude based on a religious belief that this would not be an experience within the constraints of Natural Law, but much harder to demonstrate that it was in reality a real experience.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Millions of people report seeing and experiencing unusual things from many different personal and religious perspectives. These remain questionable anecdotal experiences beyond simply a personal experience of unknown cause.

To be considered a 'violation of Natural Law' it would have to falsifiable to confirm the reality of the experience in light of Natural Law. It is easy to conclude based on a religious belief that this would not be an experience within the constraints of Natural Law, but much harder to demonstrate that it was in reality a real experience.
              Try sitting in a room with a group of people some time, and have one of them know that a given public figure is dead, killed by his own. At the moment of the assassination taking place - half way around the world. The information that it was one of his guard that killed him took some hours to be released. (Egypt: Anwar Sadat / Australia.)
              Or be with that same person when he stands in a church and calls out the leadership of that church for false teaching, and knows in that same instant that one of the congregation is an adulterer and that his daughter has said in that same week "If it is good enough for you, it is good enough for me."
              Or any one of a dozen other incidents in the same vein and involving that same person.

Not to mention quite a number that are not as noteworthy.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Mirages, dream experiences and false visions (anecdotal claims and wishful thinking, like hoping for a sign.) which are common from many different religious and personal perspectives. Our visual experiences are notoriously unreliable.
                This was neither a dream or a vision Shuny. First, there was a second witness, a person I did not know on his mountain bike. Second, I wasn't wishing for anything, or looking for a sign - this was real, and really happened. Do what you will with it - I can think of no natural explanation.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

This was neither a dream or a vision Shuny. First, there was a second witness, a person I did not know on his mountain bike. Second, I wasn't wishing for anything, or looking for a sign - this was real, and really happened. Do what you will with it - I can think of no natural explanation.
                  Ah - they can never think of a natural explanation, but they'll assert there is one: assuming they can't write it off as an hallucination.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I can't think of a natural explanation either, and do not try. It remains an anecdotal experience, and there is such a thing as group experiences and vision of the supernatural from many different religious and personal perspectives.

Frank

Comment

Ah - they can never think of a natural explanation, but they'll assert there is one: assuming they can't write it off as an hallucination.
                      Hallucination of one or more persons is known to occur, and remains a possible natural explanation.

Frank

Comment

Hallucination of one or more persons is known to occur, and remains a possible natural explanation.
                        True enough - but the incident I mentioned concerning the billiard ball wasn't exactly shared. And nothing like an hallucination can be employed to explain away prophecy.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Sure, but there is no reason to assume that this was an hallucination, especially when I didn't even point out the fern to the guy on the bike, he noticed it himself.

Comment

Yup. Independent witnesses are always useful - makes it harder to pretend you didn't see it.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yup. Independent witnesses are always useful - makes it harder to pretend you didn't see it.
                              Believe me, I get the pretending not to see it point. This whole thing has troubled me to no end, even to losing sleep...

Comment

I'm guessing you don't have a pentecostal type background.

Should I make you lose even more sleep?
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment