Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can we trust what God says?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Black View Post

How is that proof for evolution? Tossing terms at me is not argumentation. Please explain, in your own words, why you think chromosome #2 proves evolution with 100% certainty.

Whuh? A young earth can't be proved with 100 percent certainty. It doesn't even have strong evidence.

Human chromosome 2 is strong evidence we are primates, and if you knew as much as you pretended to know about evolution, you'd already be aware of the genomic evidence and refute it. Instead, you responded with a ridiculous standard your own protology doesn't even have.

Your brethren should be helping you now. I don't have the patience for you.

Comment

I've given you a reason,
      You have given me no reason besides your say-so.

Originally posted by Mr. Black View Post
      but my giving you a reason and your acknowledgment of that fact are two different things, now aren't they? ;)
      Sure, they are. And you can demonstrate my failure to acknowledge it by repeating the reason you gave me to believe that God has communicated with me. Make it obvious how the reason is more than "I say so."
      Last edited by Doug Shaver; 08-30-2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
        Whuh? A young earth can't be proved with 100 percent certainty. It doesn't even have strong evidence.
        Yet another confusion on your part. This time you've confused proof with evidence. Evidence is assembled in a cumulative case and implies a conclusion which is said to be probable. Proof, on the other hand, demonstrates a conclusion with certainty.

Originally posted by whag View Post
        Human chromosome 2 is strong evidence we are primates, and if you knew as much as you pretended to know about evolution, you'd already be aware of the genomic evidence and refute it.
        Oh I'm well aware of secular arguments for macroevolution based on human chromosome 2 (I'm also aware of Creationist arguments against macroevolution regarding human chromosome 2). What I'm not aware of, is how you think human chromosome 2 proves with certainty (not merely evidences, suggesting a probably conclusion) macroevolution.
        Everything you've said on this issue has been totally arbitrary, and I'm beginning to wonder if you're even able to debate this issue. Throwing terms at someone and simply saying, "This refutes your view" is not argumentation. If you're gonna be in the business of giving reasons for your assertions, then you have to actually give reasons. If your reasoning on it is sound, then you'd have no reason be so coy about this and avoid having to actually engage your opponent. In fact, I would think you'd be eager to explain it. Instead you appeal to a chromosome and then refuse to produce the reasoning by which you conclude with macroevolution.
        If you want your view taken seriously you need to give reasons, not make unargued assertions.
        How, exactly, does human chromosome 2 "prove" macroevolution, whag? If your response does not contain the reasoning which you employ to get to that conclusion, then I may as well be just as arbitrary. Check it out...

Human chromosome 2 is strong evidence we are God's creatures, and if you knew as much as you pretended to know about evolution, you'd already be aware of the genomic evidence and refute it.
        How does it evidence God's creation you ask? Perhaps I won't tell you the reasoning by which I came to that conclusion, but by all means, refute that reasoning anyways.

Also, you still haven't answered my challenge. So I (once again) reiterate my epistemological challenge to you. Let's test your worldview's epistemology, to see whether or not it's made of industrial strength material.
        Here's an argument against particles-to-people evolution and millions of years. It contradicts God's Word. The proof for God is that, since He's the ontic base which grounds the preconditions of intelligibility (laws of logic, uniformity of nature, moral absolutes, basic reliability of senses, memory, cognitive faculties, etc), and His revelation of Himself (both general in nature, and special in Scripture) is the epistemology which makes Him known, if He did not exist and reveal Himself to mankind, we couldn't know---much less prove---anything.

So here's my question for you, whag. Could you be wrong about everything you claim to know? Any reply from you that ignores this challenge begs the question against the biblical worldview by arbitrarily assuming that intelligibility is possible without reference to the biblical God, and thus is irrational.
        Last edited by Mr. Black; 08-31-2014, 05:32 PM.
        Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? (1 Corinthians 1:20)

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
          You have given me no reason besides your say-so.

Sure, they are. And you can demonstrate my failure to acknowledge it by repeating the reason you gave me to believe that God has communicated with me. Make it obvious how the reason is more than "I say so."
          Aside from the innate and immediate knowledge all men have of God? Your demonstrating that your worldview reduces to absurdity by denying the God of Scripture demonstrates its obviousness.

By the way, could you be wrong about those claims of yours?
          Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? (1 Corinthians 1:20)

Comment

Yet another confusion on your part. This time you've confused proof with evidence. Evidence is assembled in a cumulative case and implies a conclusion which is said to be probable. Proof, on the other hand, demonstrates a conclusion with certainty.

Oh I'm well aware of secular arguments for macroevolution based on human chromosome 2 (I'm also aware of Creationist arguments against macroevolution regarding human chromosome 2). What I'm not aware of, is how you think human chromosome 2 proves with certainty (not merely evidences, suggesting a probably conclusion) macroevolution.
            Everything you've said on this issue has been totally arbitrary, and I'm beginning to wonder if you're even able to debate this issue. Throwing terms at someone and simply saying, "This refutes your view" is not argumentation. If you're gonna be in the business of giving reasons for your assertions, then you have to actually give reasons. If your reasoning on it is sound, then you'd have no reason be so coy about this and avoid having to actually engage your opponent. In fact, I would think you'd be eager to explain it. Instead you appeal to a chromosome and then refuse to produce the reasoning by which you conclude with macroevolution.
            If you want your view taken seriously you need to give reasons, not make unargued assertions.
            How, exactly, does human chromosome 2 "prove" macroevolution, whag? If your response does not contain the reasoning which you employ to get to that conclusion, then I may as well be just as arbitrary. Check it out...

Human chromosome 2 is strong evidence we are God's creatures, and if you knew as much as you pretended to know about evolution, you'd already be aware of the genomic evidence and refute it.
            How does it evidence God's creation you ask? Perhaps I won't tell you the reasoning by which I came to that conclusion, but by all means, refute that reasoning anyways.

Also, you still haven't answered my challenge. So I (once again) reiterate my epistemological challenge to you. Let's test your worldview's epistemology, to see whether or not it's made of industrial strength material.
            Here's an argument against particles-to-people evolution and millions of years. It contradicts God's Word. The proof for God is that, since He's the ontic base which grounds the preconditions of intelligibility (laws of logic, uniformity of nature, moral absolutes, basic reliability of senses, memory, cognitive faculties, etc), and His revelation of Himself (both general in nature, and special in Scripture) is the epistemology which makes Him known, if He did not exist and reveal Himself to mankind, we couldn't know---much less prove---anything.

So here's my question for you, whag. Could you be wrong about everything you claim to know? Any reply from you that ignores this challenge begs the question against the biblical worldview by arbitrarily assuming that intelligibility is possible without reference to the biblical God, and thus is irrational.
            No, it's highly unlikely that I'm wrong about the claim the earth goes round the sun. Asking this dopey question over and over while saying you're certain you're right isn't much helping your evangelistic effort.

Comment

could you be wrong about those claims of yours?
              I am as fallible as you are. If that doesn't answer your question, then you're not looking for an answer.

Comment

I am as fallible as you are. If that doesn't answer your question, then you're not looking for an answer.
                I think a YEC is the most ineffective purveyor of the Christian message. At minimum, the Christian evangelist must accept the general revelation, which says something entirely different than what Christian fundamentalism promotes.

That's a critical obstacle that the YEC evangelist erects himself. The motivation for the skeptic to correct his error isn't really there.

Comment

• Originally posted by whag View Post
                  No, it's highly unlikely that I'm wrong about the claim the earth goes round the sun.
                  Notice that that's not what I asked. To say that something is "highly unlikely" is to say that it's still possible that you're wrong (however slim you wish to say the chances of that area). My question has to do with epistemic certainty. Is there a possibility----however slim you wish to say it is---that you could be wrong about everything you claim to know?
                  If your answer is no, then please tell me one thing you know for sure, and how you know it.

Comment

Fallacy of irrelevant thesis. I'm not basing my knowledge claims on me, but on the infallible God who has imbued all people with knowledge of Him.

Comment

Good point. I was sleep deprived yesterday and had a brain fart. But thanks, you just refuted your own point, as the evening and morning denote the start and end of the first day by noting that both halves of the day had passed.
                      a time period bracketed by evening and morning, in that order, is neither a solar day nor a daylight day in anyone's language.

Not at all. God was establishing six terms of work, which was six days. And His basis for setting six days of work for man was that He Himself worked six days and then rested on the seventh.
                      The creation of all life on the same day in Revelation 2 renders the claim invalid.

No, they don't and Exodus 20:11 confirms it.
                      Gen 2:4 This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, According to Genesis 2 - everything was created on the same day. If you read "day" to mean a solar day in Genesis 1 and 2, you force a wholly unwarranted contradiction on the text. If you read "day" as being "a period of time", as is wholly admissible by the range of definitions of yom, there is no conflict. Nor does any conflict with Exodus 20:11 arise.

1.) Scripture does make the claim (2 Timothy 3:6, for example).
                      2 Timothy 3:16 ?? 2 Timothy 3:15 From childhood you have known ..... 16 every scripture inspired by God and profitable for various purposes. "inspired by God" is an adjective: the term describes the scriptures that Timothy knows.

2.) That wouldn't be a contradiction anyway. Claiming something that is not explicitly stated in Scripture is not the same thing as claiming something that's denied by Scripture.
                      Claiming that the scriptures say things they don't is not an approved practice. It might even be said that it is a matter of bearing false witness about God.

Notice that there's a difference between (1) God inspiring a document that's all merely His own words, and(2) God inspiring a document that contains reports of what others have said. In both cases the document is fully inspired by God, and therefore is an accurate report of the events.
                      In making that claim, only prophecy would be left as inspired by God. If God inspired no more than the production of the document, there would be no guarantee of everything within the document being accurate. Any statement made would have to be checked for validity.

So, let's see if you're up to the challenge. Could you be wrong about everything you claim to know?
                      No.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 09-01-2014, 03:16 PM.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Fallacy of irrelevant thesis. I'm not basing my knowledge claims on me, but on the infallible God who has imbued all people with knowledge of Him.
                        You are basing it on the belief that you 'know' this Divine knowledge from God.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Notice that that's not what I asked. To say that something is "highly unlikely" is to say that it's still possible that you're wrong (however slim you wish to say the chances of that area). My question has to do with epistemic certainty. Is there a possibility----however slim you wish to say it is---that you could be wrong about everything you claim to know?
                          If your answer is no, then please tell me one thing you know for sure, and how you know it.
                          This reminds me of that scene from Dumb and Dumber. "So you're telling me there's a chance" -- however minuscule that chance might be.

Epistemology has to do with reliable knowledge, which you have failed to fully grasp. It is certainly possible that evolution is a huge hoax and that our eyes deceive us regarding the age of the universe. It's just not likely thanks to the reliable methodologies that we have.

Scientific epistemology isn't divorced from epistemology. Notice CS Lewis accepted scientific epistemology first. It's much harder to go backwards like you're doing. Good luck with that!

It's almost as if God equipped humanity with the means to figure out spectacular truths. That's called the general revelation. Process the general revelation, and then you just might be heard on epistemological matters. Until then, you'll be deservedly laughed at for thinking the universe only looks *deceptively* ancient.

Comment

• As tis written
                            It is the glory of God to conceal a matter
                            It is the glory of man to search it out.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I'm not basing my knowledge claims on me, but on the infallible God who has imbued all people with knowledge of Him.
                              You say so. If you can assume it without argument, I can deny it without argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                As tis written
                                It is the glory of God to conceal a matter
                                It is the glory of man to search it out.
                                Those two glories are at considerable odds in the fundamentalist mind.

Comment