Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religion: Better For Moral Health Of Community?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Do you have a hard time with basic reading comprehension and history? For starters:

1. By 70AD, Christianity was finding its own identity and had started to move beyond its Jewish roots. After all, Paul did claim to be the apostle of the Gentiles and what time was he writing his letters and what time was he active in the ministry? Wasn't that pre 70 AD and pre Jewish revolt? So much for that argument because by that time, there was already a pretty good non Jewish Christian majority active and making its way outside of its Jewish roots.
    2. Most scholars seem to think that Revelation was written in a non literal forum and many of the church fathers seem to agree with this too. Calling me a bunch of names and refusing to address that no serious scholar nor a Christian takes Revelation word for word seriously doesn't make my argument disappear or make what you say more true. Now go ahead, prove your argument is right.
    3. I thought Jesus put the guards ear back on and said, "Those who live by the sword, die by the sword", but I guess ignoring that part will make your arguments more true, eh? Again, seems to me that Jesus made it clear he wasn't there to take over the world or to establish a Jewish kingdom. What Peter thought at that time, doesn't mean he thought that later in life nor does that translate to a command to take over the world Norm.

Don't worry though Norm, scream you are right long enough, ignore that few Christians take Revelation word for word literal, and puff... you have your 'argument'. Wallow in your ignorance all you want, but the arguments will not go away because you do not like them. Now get to answering what I actually said instead of just repeating yourself and ignoring all the mistakes you've made. Start here, show me a large Christian group that takes the book of Revelation as word for word literal and a command to take over the world. I'll be waiting for you to do this instead of repeating yourself, over and over again, and ignoring all counter arguments against your position.
    Wow, I guess your reading assignment just grew to include the entire Christian Testament. You seem to be confused.

You've also completely misunderstood what I said (not that what others are saying mean anything to you). I'm not sure how you were ever elevated to the role of "moderator." You lack basic comprehension skills and are so blinded by the sound of your own thoughts that it is nearly impossible to engage in any kind of dialogue. Unfortunately, one cannot put a moderator on ignore, or you would join the only other person I have on ignore; Darth Executor. Yeah; you're that bad!

NORM
    When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
      Wow, I guess your reading assignment just grew to include the entire Christian Testament. You seem to be confused.

No Norm, you're the one that needs to read the NT and read it closely since it appears you can't read. Do you want me to demonstrate that? It isn't hard just by looking at your post, let me put up a few of your claims here and contrast them against what the NT says and claim to see if you actually know what you're talking about. Sound good to you?

Originally posted by you
      Also, maybe something about the Jewish revolts and consequent crackdown by Rome. Hint: all "Christians" were Jewish in 70CE.
      Really? All Christians were Jewish in 70 AD? Where did you dig up that one from? Do you agree that many of Paul's letters date to the early 50's AD? Even non Christian scholars would agree with that dating, so taking that into mind please explain the following verses:

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Gal. 3:28, NIV

"Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for his name’s sake." Rom 1:5, NIV

"What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin." Rom 3:9, NIV

"Again, it says, “Rejoice, you Gentiles, with his people.” Romans 15:10, NIV

"For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink." 1 Corth 12:13, NIV

"I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain." Gal 2:2, NIV

"The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles." Acts 10:45, NIV

So I'm the one that can't read and I'm the one that needs to reread the Bible when you have plainly ignored the above verses, in favor of a view that isn't held in the NT, at all and we clearly see a focus shift from the Jews to the gentiles well before 70 AD? Want me to highlight another one of your mistakes? Sure thing:

You have claimed several times that I need to 'read the book of Revelation', even though I have already given you an answer to your argument that you can't refute, so let me post my answer in big bold letters so your little fundamentalist brain will be able to read it:

THE BOOK OF REVELATION IS NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERAL, IT IS A GENERA CALLED ' APOCALYPTIC LITERATURE' AND WAS NOT TAKEN WORD FOR WORD LITERAL BY EARLY CHRISTIANS OR MODERN CHRISTIANS!!!!

There you go, I made that into big bold letters so you'll actually respond to it instead of saying I need to read a book, while being too stupid to see that my answer is already given. Try responding to it instead of skipping it.

Another one of your bozo errors exposed, so go ahead Norm, try responding to what I said instead of ignoring it.

Third false comment you made:

Originally posted by you
      Even your own Gospels can offer a clue. Why do you suppose Peter pulled a sword on the Roman soldiers attempting to arrest Jesus? Because...
      Which a basic reading of the Gospel story should tell us what the full story was:

"Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”
      Matthew 26:50-54, NIV

Now Luke:

"When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him."
      Luke 22:49-51, NIV

Now again:

"Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)

Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”
      John 18:10-11, NIV

So how does that support your assertion where you said that we are not 'true Christians' because we are not supporting a take over of America? If anything, doesn't that kind of work against your argument since Jesus did not condone the actions of Peter, but condemned them? So I guess the only one here (yet again) that can't read is well... you.

Wow how embarrassing, all of your claims show you can't read or that the only one that needs to read the NT here is you.

You've also completely misunderstood what I said (not that what others are saying mean anything to you).

Really because this is what you said:

Not a lie. You don't take your religion seriously. If you did, you wouldn't be wasting your time on an Internet forum. You would instead be out in the street protesting and organizing to take over America as a religious theocracy - just like the jihadists are doing with Islam.
      Do you have any idea how stupid, offense, bigoted, and outright hateful this comment of yours was? You accused seer and by extension every Christian (including myself) of not being 'true Christians' because of your vile hatred of anything Christian. I returned your attitude and you don't like it when you get treated with the same disrespect you treat myself and others with. This is the attitude you earned Norm, so what's the problem, are you the only one allowed to be mean to people and I can't return the favor to you? You want respect, give it and stop making stupid comments that expose your hatred of Christians and Christianity and expose your inability to read.

I'm not sure how you were ever elevated to the role of "moderator." You lack basic comprehension skills and are so blinded by the sound of your own thoughts that it is nearly impossible to engage in any kind of dialogue. Unfortunately, one cannot put a moderator on ignore, or you would join the only other person I have on ignore; Darth Executor. Yeah; you're that bad!

So says the same moron that says:

"Hint: all "Christians" were Jewish in 70CE."

When the letters of Paul, written in the early 50's, expose that is 100% completely and totally false.

You made your bed with your offensive comment, now sleep in the bed you made for yourself. You earned it.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-26-2014, 09:12 AM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No Norm, you're the one that needs to read the NT and read it closely since it appears you can't read. Do you want me to demonstrate that? It isn't hard just by looking at your post, let me put up a few of your claims here and contrast them against what the NT says and claim to see if you actually know what you're talking about. Sound good to you?

Really? All Christians were Jewish in 70 AD? Where did you dig up that one from? Do you agree that many of Paul's letters date to the early 50's AD? Even non Christian scholars would agree with that dating, so taking that into mind please explain the following verses:

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Gal. 3:28, NIV

"Through him we received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for his name’s sake." Rom 1:5, NIV

"What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin." Rom 3:9, NIV

"For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink." 1 Corth 12:13, NIV

"I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain." Gal 2:2, NIV

"The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles." Acts 10:45, NIV

So I'm the one that can't read and I'm the one that needs to reread the Bible when you have plainly ignored the above verses, in favor of a view that isn't held in the NT, at all and we clearly see a focus shift from the Jews to the gentiles well before 70 AD? Want me to highlight another one of your mistakes? Sure thing:

You have claimed several times that I need to 'read the book of Revelation', even though I have already given you an answer to your argument that you can't refute, so let me post my answer in big bold letters so your little fundamentalist brain will be able to read it:

THE BOOK OF REVELATION IS NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERAL, IT IS A GENERA CALLED ' APOCALYPTIC LITERATURE' AND WAS NOT TAKEN WORD FOR WORD LITERAL BY EARLY CHRISTIANS OR MODERN CHRISTIANS!!!!

There you go, I made that into big bold letters so you'll actually respond to it instead of saying I need to read a book, while being too stupid to see that my answer is already given. Try responding to it instead of skipping it.

Another one of your bozo errors exposed, so go ahead Norm, try responding to what I said instead of ignoring it.

Which a basic reading of the Gospel story should tell us what the full story was:

"Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

“Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”

Now Luke:

"When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him."

Now again:

"Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)

Jesus commanded Peter, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?”

So how does that support your assertion where you said that we are not 'true Christians' because we are not supporting a take over of America? If anything, doesn't that kind of work against your argument since Jesus did not condone the actions of Peter, but condemned them? So I guess the only one here (yet again) that can't read is well... you.

Wow how embarrassing, all of your claims show you can't read or that the only one that needs to read the NT here is you.

Do you have any idea how stupid, offense, bigoted, and outright hateful this comment of yours was? You accused seer and by extension every Christian (including myself) of not being 'true Christians' because of your vile hatred of anything Christian. I returned your attitude and you don't like it when you get treated with the same disrespect you treat myself and others with. This is the attitude you earned Norm, so what's the problem, are you the only one allowed to be mean to people and I can't return the favor to you? You want respect, give it and stop making stupid comments that expose your hatred of Christians and Christianity and expose your inability to read.

When the letters of Paul, written in the early 50's, expose that is 100% completely and totally false.

You made your bed with your offensive comment, now sleep in the bed you made for yourself. You earned it.
        Great response lilpixieofterror...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And do you suppose that gaining things, as a result of their violence, wasn't a good motivator for doing these violent acts and just claiming God told them to do it made for a convenient excuse?
          Yes, you bring up a good point. Moses probably used God as an excuse to raid Midian.

But I believe that religious people can also ardently believe in God or gods while also being thoroughly convinced they have permission from on high to kill.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
            Yes, you bring up a good point. Moses probably used God as an excuse to raid Midian.
            Considering that, several times, it is mentioned Moses didn't want to be in charge well... you got a bad argument there. You also seem to forget that doesn't the Bible say that Moses died before he entered the promised land? I guess when you can't respond to what was said... try to turn it around onto them, eh?

But I believe that religious people can also ardently believe in God or gods while also being thoroughly convinced they have permission from on high to kill.
            And I believe that atheist can be convinced to kill as much as you claim religious people can be and that is easy to demonstrate too. The USSR was state sponsored atheism and went about destroying church's, arresting people of religious faith, and even killing lots and lots of them. Did they need a religious belief to kill lots of people? No, so much for that argument because it appears people will kill people for lots of excuses, some even kill just for the thrill of killing. You don't need religion to be an evil person. People are quite capable of being evil all by themselves.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Great response lilpixieofterror...
              Norm wants a war, he got one. Next time, perhaps he'll think before he wants to accuse others of not being able to read when it is clear that his reading comprehension abilities are sorely lacking...
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Norm wants a war, he got one. Next time, perhaps he'll think before he wants to accuse others of not being able to read when it is clear that his reading comprehension abilities are sorely lacking...
                What bothers me most about Norm is his duplicity, he claims he doesn't hate us or our beliefs, yet his rhetoric is some of the most venomous I have come across on line. So either he is lying or he is completely delusional. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say delusional.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

What bothers me most about Norm is his duplicity, he claims he doesn't hate us or our beliefs, yet his rhetoric is some of the most venomous I have come across on line. So either he is lying or he is completely delusional. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say delusional.
                  Please point to this "venom." So far, I have not treated you with the same slurs as LPOT and a few others (like idiot, stupid, moron, etc...) have leveled at me. I always treat everyone on this forum with respect. The only person I have on ignore is Darth Executor, and I only do that so I am not tempted to start name-calling in kind with his. Now DE; there's a person with "venom."

I think I'm just getting under your skin because you can't find fault in my arguments.

NORM
                  When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Now Luke:

Now again:

Chuckle! I think an anger management course would do you well. Obviously, I've nicked your Achilles Heel.

You are providing me with ample material for my next book about religious and political extremists.

NORM

Comment

Chuckle! I think an anger management course would do you well. Obviously, I've nicked your Achilles Heel.

You are providing me with ample material for my next book about religious and political extremists.

NORM
                      There's yet to be seen any extremist behavior from anyone belonging to a religion in this thread.
                      Only stating strange things is another new conspiracy founded on the internet with nothing to back it up no less.
                      Christians should be trying to take over the world.
                      You didn't even comment on what she said,but instead just waved it away which is nothing new for a conspiracy founded on the internet.
                      Last edited by Cerealman; 07-26-2014, 01:24 PM.
                      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Of course he really hates Christians and he can't even spot his own hatred, look at his response to you below for an example of that:

Originally posted by NormATive
                        Please point to this "venom." So far, I have not treated you with the same slurs as LPOT and a few others (like idiot, stupid, moron, etc...) have leveled at me. I always treat everyone on this forum with respect. The only person I have on ignore is Darth Executor, and I only do that so I am not tempted to start name-calling in kind with his. Now DE; there's a person with "venom."

That's right because it is wrong for anybody to call him idiot, stupid, or moron but it is perfectly ok for him to accuse you (and by extension every Christian here on tWeb) as not being 'true Christians' and saying that 'true Christians' are jihadist that are plotting a holy war against any non Christian and want to chop of their heads. That's ok for Norm to say, but God forbid that anybody call Norm an idiot while he puts out rhetoric that is twice as hateful and shows his hatred for Christianity and Christians. Truly a marvel of cognitive dissonance in action with this one.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Your delusions are truly an amazing thing to watch because it seems that you can't respond to a word I said, but all you can do is respond with ad hominems that show you're incapable of refuting anything that contradict your views, so Norm please explain the following:

How can you say that Christians were all Jews in 70 AD when the NT says that Gentiles were the focus of Christian evangelical efforts before 50 AD?

How can you say that Revelation supports your view that Christians should be plotting to over throw the government when Revelation is not a book of literal writing that was never met to be taken word for word literal and hasn't been taken literal historically or in modern times?

How can you say that Peter chopping off a guards ear, who came to arrest Jesus, is proof that Christians should be taking over the world when Jesus told him to put away his sword, healed the man who had his ear chopped off, and rebuked Peter for his actions?

You haven't dealt with any of these arguments, at all Norm. What you have done is called me a bunch of names, avoiding your errors, and shown everybody why you deserve every bit of rhetoric that you receive.

And this is coming from the same person that says a 'true Christian' is a person who should be plotting to overthrown the US government and says the NT supports such a position? You're in no position to talk about religious or political extremist with whacky ideas, such as that. I suppose your powerful delusions though would make you think otherwise, but don't worry though; if people decided to actually look up your claims and find this thread here. They can see, first hand, how big of a loon you really are and why they shouldn't take a word you say seriously. Don't worry though, your public shaming shall continue until you can even respond to a thing I said or admit you were wrong in any of your claims. Since I don't see either two happening anytime soon, I guess this will take awhile. Don't worry though, I have a world of patience for your brand of hatred and can do this a whole lot longer than you can since your hatred and frustration at your inability to prove your points seems to be boiling over, at this point.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-26-2014, 04:41 PM.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                            There's yet to be seen any extremist behavior from anyone belonging to a religion in this thread.
                            Only stating strange things is another new conspiracy founded on the internet with nothing to back it up no less.
                            Christians should be trying to take over the world.
                            You didn't even comment on what she said,but instead just waved it away which is nothing new for a conspiracy founded on the internet.
                            Norm is hardly in the position to talk about extremist behavior, since he accused seer and by extension you and I of not being 'true Christians' because we are not plotting to take over the US government and institute a religious government. I don't think Norm really understand how extremist and outright whacky his claims really are since his obvious hatred of anything Christian is clouding his judgment.
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-26-2014, 04:15 PM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Of course he really hates Christians and he can't even spot his own hatred, look at his response to you below for an example of that:

That's right because it is wrong for anybody to call him idiot, stupid, or moron but it is perfectly ok for him to accuse you (and by extension every Christian here on tWeb) as not being 'true Christians' and saying that 'true Christians' are jihadist that are plotting a holy war against any non Christian and want to chop of their heads. That's ok for Norm to say, but God forbid that anybody call Norm an idiot while he puts out rhetoric that is twice as hateful and shows his hatred for Christianity and Christians. Truly a marvel of cognitive dissonance in action with this one.
                              First of all, I don't think there is any such thing as a "true Christian," and I could really care less what you people consider Christian and not Christian - it seems as varied as the stars in the universe.

What I actually said was that it doesn't appear that you take your religion seriously. Instead of being active in your community and pushing for a theocracy, you are spending every minute posting on a web site.

Of course, the fact that I was speaking to Seer and no one else is totally lost on LPOT who saw this as another excuse to butt in. Seer has over 2,800 posts since February!

Finally, I am not accusing anyone of not being a Christian, nor am I calling anyone an idiot or a bad person. I am simply observing the fact that the Jihadists appear to be taking their Word of Allah more seriously than some Christians (like Seer) on this forum. The Islamic fundamentalists are willing to die and to kill for their religion. I don't believe that Seer would do this. I think his "war" is made up of words.

BTW, I actually think it is a bad thing to be so obsessed with a book (Qu'ran in this case) that you are willing to kill others for it. So, when I tell you that you are not taking your religion as seriously as the Jihadists - I'm actually giving you a compliment!

But, you are so focused in making sure you trash talk me that you can't read between the lines.

LPOT, when will you learn to butt out? These threads normally are quite interesting and Seer and I actually have some good dialogue. And then you show up and ruin the whole thing.

Why can't we put moderators on ignore????

NORM

Comment

and I could really care less
                                This means you do care.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                                "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment