Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism: The Death Of Hope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheism: The Death Of Hope.

I'm jumping off a thread in Natural Science that linked this article:

http://www.science20.com/writer_on_t..._a_joke-139982

EVOLUTIONARY PURPOSES

If a tendency to believe in the reality of an intangible network is so deeply wired into humanity, the implication is that it must have an evolutionary purpose. Social scientists have long believed that the emotional depth and complexity of the human mind means that mindful, self-aware people necessarily suffer from deep existential dread. Spiritual beliefs evolved over thousands of years as nature’s way to help us balance this out and go on functioning.
    So spiritual beliefs seem to both offer hope and help humans cope. And that these beliefs are deeply ingrained. So one wonders why militate atheists seek to destroy this natural coping mechanism, why do they want so to kill hope?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post

So spiritual beliefs seem to both offer hope and help humans cope. And that these beliefs are deeply ingrained. So one wonders why militate atheists seek to destroy this natural coping mechanism, why do they want so to kill hope?
    Misery loves company?
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Most are probably just ignorant of the magnitude of that aspect of religiosity, rather than actively seeking to destroy it. That's why I believe that people ought to educate certain atheists to mutually facilitate a better and more compassionate dialogue on both sides, rather than demonizing and maligning the motives of everyone who doesn't share your views.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by littlejoe View Post
        misery loves company?
        lol...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          Most are probably just ignorant of the magnitude of that aspect of religiosity, rather than actively seeking to destroy it. That's why I believe that people ought to educate certain atheists to mutually facilitate a better and more compassionate dialogue on both sides, rather than demonizing and maligning the motives of everyone who doesn't share your views.
          Yet, even if atheists were more understanding, their aim I assume would be the same. To rid mankind of these superstitions - which still would destroy hope.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
            When many atheists* dismiss religion as a "crutch", I think it shows that they know what hope is being offered, and that they do indeed seek to remove it from others.

*This of course doesn't apply to all, and I've seen none on TWeb do this, but I have seen it in other places.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              When many atheists* dismiss religion as a "crutch", I think it shows that they know what hope is being offered, and that they do indeed seek to remove it from others.

*This of course doesn't apply to all, and I've seen none on TWeb do this, but I have seen it in other places.
              Jerks. Just because they believe there isn't any hope does not mean we can't have hope. Need that puddleglum clip?
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Jerks. Just because they believe there isn't any hope does not mean we can't have hope. Need that puddleglum clip?
                I think Little Joe is correct - misery loves company...

Comment

Do they kill it or just replace it? For example, some of the staunch and powerful atheists of the past replaced it with a passionate call to statism. Statism and even science and technology (i.e. transhumanism) becomes an alternative religious ideology.

Comment

It seems pretty naive to want to eliminate all religion. I don't think most atheists care about religion if people don't force it on others. It must be just these militant atheists who want to destroy religion and kill hope, as opposed to militant theists who want to destroy societies and kill people.

Comment

Yet, even if atheists were more understanding, their aim I assume would be the same. To rid mankind of these superstitions - which still would destroy hope.
                      Maybe most of the self-proclaimed 'evangelical' atheists you meet on the Internet are like that but certainly not all, and I suspect that most atheists have a 'live and let live' attitude with no need to convince others of their viewpoint.
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Really, the correct explanation may be partly that there is a God and we need to believe that.
                        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          It seems pretty naive to want to eliminate all religion. I don't think most atheists care about religion if people don't force it on others. It must be just these militant atheists who want to destroy religion and kill hope, as opposed to militant theists who want to destroy societies and kill people.
                          That's funny, militant theists built many apex societies whereas atheists have, for the most part, destroyed them like they're destroying our current civilization.

British Empire under militant theists:

"Great" Britain under atheists:

Last edited by Darth Executor; 07-23-2014, 12:55 AM.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            That's funny, militant theists built many apex societies whereas atheists have, for the most part, destroyed them like they're destroying our current civilization.

British Empire under militant theists:

"Great" Britain under atheists:

Apparently you think the British Empire grew because it was Christian and declined because it abandoned Christianity. Well, I'll concede that the United Kingdom is less Christian now than then, when it was the British Empire.
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Building nations is often a matter of politics and militarism. Can someone explain to me how religion or areligionist notions intersect with the purpose of drawing up boarders and defending them?

Comment