Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God of Creation vs God of the Bible - A Crisis of Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a way it works with just about any reference text I guess - Science does put a lot of stock in peer review.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      In a way it works with just about any reference text I guess - Science does put a lot of stock in peer review.
      Why stop at facts? Might scripture also be poetry, myth, allegory, quotation, repetition, legend, contrived, deceitful, symbolism, satire, personification, hyperbole, imagery or something else? A “true” scripture is flattened, from God, missing the human drama that created it.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Why stop at facts? Might scripture also be poetry, myth, allegory, quotation, repetition, legend, contrived, deceitful, symbolism, satire, personification, hyperbole, imagery or something else?
        Also recipes, vitriolic abuse, propaganda, unfounded supposition etc and so forth. However, that is a broad definition of scripture - anything committed to writing - which generally is not used in contemporary English, where the term is most commonly used with reference to the God inspired passages of the Bible.
        Thus, we (that is to say, Christians of one stamp or another) have a basic divide on what comprises scripture in its more restrictive definition. Some, a majority, claim that all of the Bible is scripture, others, that the Bible contains scripture. Given the paucity of supporting evidence for the former, I subscribe to the latter view.
        And yes, prophecy of scripture (inspired by God) does not have to be strictly factual: it must, however, express truth.
        Last edited by tabibito; 07-11-2014, 02:15 AM.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

OK, but I have no reason to think that any of the Bible's authors thought they were contributing to a reference text, or that any of their writings was subjected to peer review.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
            OK, but I have no reason to think that any of the Bible's authors thought they were contributing to a reference text, or that any of their writings was subjected to peer review.
            Did I say that the writers' expectations were relevant? Facts will have supporting evidence, independently of the writers' expectations. And it is clear that the writers DID consider that they were documenting facts which were intended to be used to establish guidelines - useful for teaching, reproof, training in righteousness etc. That makes the writings in question reference texts.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Did I say that the writers' expectations were relevant?
              They are relevant whether you said so or not.

Facts will have supporting evidence, independently of the writers' expectations.
              Not necessarily. I can give you plenty of facts about my personal history for which, so far as I am aware, not a shred of supporting evidence (other than my memory) still exists.

And it is clear that the writers DID consider that they were documenting facts
              It may be clear to you. It isn't to me. Maybe that's because I don't follow a religion whose dogma says they were documenting facts.

Comment