Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Divine revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divine revelation

This topic came up in another thread, and someone suggested -- rightly, I believe, that it was off topic there.

So, would some Christian (or other theist) care to tell me why I should believe that anyone has ever received any knowledge about God by divine revelation?

Am I correct that you don't believe in God*? If so, then why would you ever believe that any Christian (or other theist) received any knowledge about God by divine revelation?

(*that's a question, not an accusation)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

CP, you answered that before I saw it, in almost the same words I thought about using in the other thread where it may have been just a bit off topic. Now if I only had an amen button . . .
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

From another thread.
        Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        What is especially bad and sad is someone thinking that people who won't believe what he says just because he says it are so deserving of his pity.
        Every Christian, in spite of what Mickiel might say, desires people to recognize Christ and be saved from a life of sin. Let it suffice to say that I do not claim this is true, I simply accept that it is. Why, I became convinced many years ago. I am convinced still.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

As a Baha'i I believe in Divine Revelation as a part of the spiritual cycle of rebirth and renewal manifest in the religion's of the world and their impact on a changing evolving world. The physical Creation takes place in cycles of rebirth and renewal throughout physical history in parallel to the spiritual evolution. The resulting religion's represent the human expression of the Revelation in the time and culture of the Revelation. Divine Revelation is dynamic and organic, and cannot be separated from the dynamic process of physical Creation. Divine Revelation begins a radical change spiritually in the world and requires a special revealed Word from the Anointed and enlightened 'Messiah' that is reflect in the standard of knowledge for change in Morals, Ethics, Spiritual Laws, and knowledge of science that emanates from the Divine Revelation throughout the world.

In the belief of the Harmony of Science and Religion the Baha'i Revelation describes a human spirituality and knowledge which evolves and changes with science being a collective Revelation of human knowledge in and of itself revealing the knowledge of the process of Creation. This something that many ancient religions have difficulty accepting is 'Change.' Most review knowledge of Divine Revelation as in someway static and unchanging. In the Baha'i Faith knowledge is constantly changing, and the nature of the physical world science is the standard, and ALL scripture must be understood and interpreted in the light of science including the Baha'i Scripture. Science is the light of Revelation for the Physical nature of our existence, and the Divine Revelation is the spiritual light of knowledge of the spiritual nature of our reality.

In cycles of physical and spiritual Creation and Revelation I consider Adam and Eve to an allegory to the first humans to know God, and the birth of the human spiritual kingdom separate from the animal kingdom. Regardless of the form of appearance of the evolving humanity the intent of Creation was for humanity to be spiritually human regardless of our physical ancestry.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-22-2014, 07:21 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            In the belief of the Harmony of Science and Religion [what] describes a human spirituality and knowledge which evolves and changes with science being a collective Revelation of human knowledge in and of itself revealing the knowledge of the process of Creation.
            You seem to have left out a word or phrase out--see the bolded "what" in the quote above.
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
              You seem to have left out a word or phrase out--see the bolded "what" in the quote above.
              Thank you! corrected.

In the belief of the Harmony of Science and Religion Baha'i Revelation describes a human spirituality and knowledge which evolves and changes with science being a collective Revelation of human knowledge in and of itself revealing the knowledge of the process of Creation.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Thank you! corrected.

In the belief of the Harmony of Science and Religion Baha'i Revelation describes a human spirituality and knowledge which evolves and changes with science being a collective Revelation of human knowledge in and of itself revealing the knowledge of the process of Creation.
                If I converted to Baha'i, would I have to speak in long run-on esoteric sentences, and give up my overuse of commas?

(By the way, when in Israel last year, we visited the Baha'i garden in Haifa -- absolutely stunning)

gardens 2a.jpggardens-a.jpg
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just for clarification: are we meaning by Divine Revelation, that the person, or persons with such are receiving a direct communication from God or G-d?

NORM
                  When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    If I converted to Baha'i, would I have to speak in long run-on esoteric sentences, and give up my overuse of commas?
                    Fortunately, Shuny isn't representative of his belief system.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      Are you Baha'i? I am truly fascinated by this faith group.

NORM
                      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                        Are you Baha'i? I am truly fascinated by this faith group.

NORM
                        No, but I've encountered others. I'm not anything. I might could be called philosophical taoist (provided you don't look too closely).
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Yes, and you would have to learn gibberish. It may be unkind to speak thus of Shuny, but I am sure he will understand having spoken so offhandedly of the error of Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                            Just for clarification: are we meaning by Divine Revelation, that the person, or persons with such are receiving a direct communication from God or G-d?
                            Have you heard of the Bible?

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              OH

Comment