Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Divine revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Well yes I do - based on Scripture.
    For bibliolators, everything eventually comes down to that.

Comment

• Believing what you read and worshiping the book are not the same.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
        For bibliolators, everything eventually comes down to that.
        Of course, I'm a Christian - what else would it come down to - your word?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Yes. There is a great logical void between the assertion and the conclusion.
          No Shuny, show me how exactly where I begged the question.

Again seer science does not prove anything. Argument from Ignorance demanding the impossible be proven. Neither can you PROVE anything with theistic assertions.

Every time you get into an airplane and trust things will be same in the future as they were in the past, you accept the Law of non-contradiction holds and our physical existence is uniform and consistent in the future
          Nonsense Shuny, you claimed that the laws of logic/nature are universal and will remain the same in the future. Are you now admitting that you don't know? Talk about bald faced assertions!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No Shuny, show me how exactly where I begged the question.
            The whole dialogue with Mr. Black and you proposed statements of presuppositional belief without any coherent argument. This is a Van Til presuppositional reasoning in which he proposes that there are no logical argument for the existence of God, and the justification of Christianity. As cited repeatedly, both Mr. Black and you in Van Til tradition you consider all other worldviews irrational and illogical.

Source: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

Begging the Question is a fallacy in which the premises include the claim that the conclusion is true or (directly or indirectly) assume that the conclusion is true. This sort of "reasoning" typically has the following form.

1.Premises in which the truth of the conclusion is claimed or the truth of the conclusion is assumed (either directly or indirectly).
            2.Claim C (the conclusion) is true.

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because simply assuming that the conclusion is true (directly or indirectly) in the premises does not constitute evidence for that conclusion. Obviously, simply assuming a claim is true does not serve as evidence for that claim. This is especially clear in particularly blatant cases: "X is true. The evidence for this claim is that X is true."

Example:

1.Bill: "God must exist."
            Jill: "How do you know."
            Bill: "Because the Bible says so."
            Jill: "Why should I believe the Bible?"
            Bill: "Because the Bible was written by God."

© Copyright Original Source

Nonsense Shuny, you claimed that the laws of logic/nature are universal and will remain the same in the future. Are you now admitting that you don't know? Talk about bald faced assertions!
            I am not admitting anything, again . . .

Again seer science does not prove anything. Argument from Ignorance demanding the impossible be proven. Neither can you PROVE anything with theistic assertions.
            Every time you get into an airplane and trust things will be same in the future as they were in the past, you accept the Law of non-contradiction holds and our physical existence is uniform and consistent in the future
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The whole dialogue with Mr. Black and you proposed statements of presuppositional belief without any coherent argument. This is a Van Til presuppositional reasoning in which he proposes that there are no logical argument for the existence of God, and the justification of Christianity. As cited repeatedly, both Mr. Black and you in Van Til tradition you consider all other worldviews irrational and illogical.
              Shuny again, make a deductive or empirical argument that what goes on in your mind actually corresponds to reality. Hint - you can't. Yet you take that assumption as fact and not question begging. My assumption that the Bible is the word of God is no more question begging than that. If you think it is please explain how.

I am not admitting anything, again
              So are you lying? First you claim that that the laws of logic/nature are universal and will remain so in the future then you say that science doesn't prove anything. So which is it? And BTW - every time I get on an airplane I trust God alone to up hold the laws of nature. What do you trust Shuny?

Comment

Shuny again, make a deductive or empirical argument that what goes on in your mind actually corresponds to reality. Hint - you can't. Yet you take that assumption as fact and not question begging. My assumption that the Bible is the word of God is no more question begging than that. If you think it is please explain how.

Source: http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...-question.html

Begging the Question is a fallacy in which the premises include the claim that the conclusion is true or (directly or indirectly) assume that the conclusion is true. This sort of "reasoning" typically has the following form.

1.Premises in which the truth of the conclusion is claimed or the truth of the conclusion is assumed (either directly or indirectly).

This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because simply assuming that the conclusion is true (directly or indirectly) in the premises does not constitute evidence for that conclusion. Obviously, simply assuming a claim is true does not serve as evidence for that claim. This is especially clear in particularly blatant cases: "X is true. The evidence for this claim is that X is true."

Example:

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Source: http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...-question.html

Example:

But Shuny, I did not such thing. My prime presupposition is that the Bible is the word of God, I did not argue from the existence of God to the Bible. It is a presuppositional argument (presuppose: to suppose or assume beforehand; take for granted in advance). That is not begging the question.

This may be.

1. How do you know that what goes on in your mind corresponds to reality?
                  2. Because that is what reality looks like in my mind.

Comment

• [QUOTE=seer;108938]But Shuny, I did not such thing. My prime presupposition is that the Bible is the word of God, I did not argue from the existence of God to the Bible. It is a presuppositional argument (presuppose: to suppose or assume beforehand; take for granted in advance). That is not begging the question.

The above is just an example of that reasoning. It remains that it is 'Begging the question' by definition. Actually it fits the example very well.

1.Bill: "I believe the Bible is the word of God."

This may be.

Argument from Ignorance. Demanding proof of the impossible. Again, If you make this assumption, then we are all unable to know, and alas rabbits named Harvey

Frank

Comment

• [QUOTE=shunyadragon;108951]
                      Originally posted by seer View Post
                      But Shuny, I did not such thing. My prime presupposition is that the Bible is the word of God, I did not argue from the existence of God to the Bible. It is a presuppositional argument (presuppose: to suppose or assume beforehand; take for granted in advance). That is not begging the question.

The above is just an example of that reasoning. It remains that it is 'Begging the question' by definition. Actually it fits the example very well.

No Shuny, I'm NOT arguing THAT. My presupposition is that the Bible is the word of God. It is an axiom (a statement accepted as true as the basis for argument or inference). I'm not arguing from or to anything. What don't you get?

Argument from Ignorance. Demanding proof of the impossible. Again, If you make this assumption, then we are all unable to know, and alas rabbits named Harvey
                      Nonsense, how is this not begging the question:

See Shuny, you are being a hypocrite - you have to beg the question or argue in a circle to attempt to justify reality.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

No Shuny, I'm NOT arguing THAT. My presupposition is that the Bible is the word of God. It is an axiom (a statement accepted as true as the basis for argument or inference). I'm not arguing from or to anything. What don't you get?
                        It is a presuppositional argument (presuppose: to suppose or assume beforehand; take for granted in advance). That is begging the question by definition. Presupposing beforehand the conclusion of your argument is 'Begging the Question' by definition as cited.

See Shuny, you are being a hypocrite - you have to beg the question or argue in a circle to attempt to justify reality.
                        Your correct this part of the problem is not begging the question, it is Arguing from Ignorance.

No, Argument from Ignorance. Demanding proof of the impossible. Again, If you make this assumption, then we are all unable to know, and alas rabbits named Harvey

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Believing what you read and worshiping the book are not the same.
                          I understand the difference . . . having done both.

Comment

Of course, I'm a Christian
                            You are one kind of Christian. There are many others.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            - what else would it come down to - your word?
                            It doesn't have to come down to anybody's word.

Comment

Your correct this part of the problem is not begging the question, it is Arguing from Ignorance.

No, Argument from Ignorance. Demanding proof of the impossible. Again, If you make this assumption, then we are all unable to know, and alas rabbits named Harvey
                              Once again Shuny you completely lost me...

Comment

Once again Shuny you completely lost me...
                                Then lost you shall be
                                Clueless and blind to reality.
                                Maybe someday you may awaken to see,
                                There are others, not only me
                                That suffer and long to see
                                Like Buddha under the Bodhi tree.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-18-2014, 10:26 AM.

Frank

Comment