Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Lord, Lunatic, or Liar - False Dichotomy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
    Even if it is weak, it is there and we have no good reason to reject it
    Actually, we have considerable reason to reject that the Gospel testimony is testimony of an eyewitness, much less an apostle.

Dude WTH do you mean by unauthored?
    That should probably be "unattributed" or "anonymous."

Comment

• Originally posted by Outis View Post
      Actually, we have considerable reason to reject that the Gospel testimony is testimony of an eyewitness, much less an apostle..

Uhhuh. What is it exactly?

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      That should probably be "unattributed" or "anonymous."
      Fair enough.
      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
      Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
      Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Uhhuh. What is it exactly?
        I've discussed some of this with you already. Robrecht (spelling?) has touched on the topic. From what I've seen, you ... don't seem to be nearly so interested in the evidence as in throwing up counter-arguments, even though the counter-arguments don't support your position. So far, all evidence I've presented has been responded to with stuff like "Yeah, but what about THIS counter-argument," while seemingly (based on the fact that you've had to repeatedly ask about things I've posted) never reading my posts.

I'll discuss anything with anybody, and no, I'm not perfect when it comes to replying to counter-arguments. But before I go through a whole bunch of stuff, I'd like to at least have some vague hope that if I bring up some evidence, the person I speak to is at least willing to consider it.

Comment

I've discussed some of this with you already. Robrecht (spelling?) has touched on the topic. From what I've seen, you ... don't seem to be nearly so interested in the evidence as in throwing up counter-arguments, even though the counter-arguments don't support your position. So far, all evidence I've presented has been responded to with stuff like "Yeah, but what about THIS counter-argument," while seemingly (based on the fact that you've had to repeatedly ask about things I've posted) never reading my posts.

I'll discuss anything with anybody, and no, I'm not perfect when it comes to replying to counter-arguments. But before I go through a whole bunch of stuff, I'd like to at least have some vague hope that if I bring up some evidence, the person I speak to is at least willing to consider it.
          Wait, I throw up counter arguments to counter your points. (and how don't they support me?)
          Ok and for the sake of this discussion, I will assume Markan priority.
          Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
          Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Wait, I throw up counter arguments to counter your points. (and how don't they support me?)
            Ok and for the sake of this discussion, I will assume Markan priority.
            I'll start a new thread--but I'm not asking you to assume anything. Just examine the evidence for its own sake.

Comment

The trilemma does ignore the Gospel writers. Brandon's suggestion also ignores an important possibility to consider.

What if the Gospel writers told the truth to the best of their ability or knowledge, but were simply _wrong_?
              Do see this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                Do see this post.
                Why ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                  Do see this post.
                  I am aware of Lewis's intent. I'm also aware that many apologists who use the trilemma do not work within those same constraints. "What the parents allow in moderation, the children indulge to excess."

Comment

we have no good reason to reject it
                    Is such a reason even possible, in your judgment? Can you give an example of some fact that, if it were discovered, would be a good reason to doubt that the gospels contain eyewitness testimony by the apostles?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                      Is such a reason even possible, in your judgment? Can you give an example of some fact that, if it were discovered, would be a good reason to doubt that the gospels contain eyewitness testimony by the apostles?
                      -Different people attested to have written the Gospels (the tradition should be fairly strong)
                      -Facts inconsistent with the Gospels being authored by their traditional authors (e.g. do we have data supposing that the author of Matt was not a Jew?). These should outweigh the facts in favor of traditional authorship.
                      -
                      Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

I'll start a new thread--but I'm not asking you to assume anything. Just examine the evidence for its own sake.
                        Alrite I won't assume anything. And this should be nice.
                        Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
                          Can you give an example of some fact that, if it were discovered, would be a good reason to doubt that the gospels contain eyewitness testimony by the apostles?
                          Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                          -Different people attested to have written the Gospels (the tradition should be fairly strong)
                          Interesting. So, if we have one source saying that an eyewitness wrote it, we should believe that an eyewitness wrote it, but if we have two sources, and one says somebody else wrote it, we should not believe that an eyewitness wrote it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                            Interesting. So, if we have one source saying that an eyewitness wrote it, we should believe that an eyewitness wrote it, but if we have two sources, and one says somebody else wrote it, we should not believe that an eyewitness wrote it?
                            No we should check the strength of the tradition. This not only includes numbers of testimonies in support of a view but also where they likely got their information from and how close they are to the original date of being penned.
                            Sir James Jeans

Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
                              Can you give an example of some fact that, if it were discovered, would be a good reason to doubt that the gospels contain eyewitness testimony by the apostles?
                              Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness
                              Originally posted by Doug Shaver
                              Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                              No we should check the strength of the tradition.
                              Well, then, you didn't really answer my question. Let's try it again: What fact, if it were discovered, would be a good reason to doubt that the gospels contain eyewitness testimony by the apostles?

Comment