Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Breaking Bad Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Divine revelation.
    That is quite a claim!?!?!?!
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• While thoroughly fascinating, perhaps the discussion of "divine revelation" is best suited to another thread.

I'm interested in any Christians who are anticipating the next evolutionary step in the religion.

Or, is the consensus that the faith is complete as is - no need to adjust core beliefs to a scientifically and culturally aware 21st century pew muffin?

For example, the Bible quite clearly condemns homosexuality in both the Jewish Testament and the Christian Testament (although it is more clearly condemned in the Tanakh). Since modern society is abandoning this condemnation due to the realization that homosexuals are born that way and it is not a "lifestyle choice," - or; sin - should the dogma of Sola Scriptura be abandoned, since the book is clearly wrong in this instance?

Reformed Jews have altered their thinking on this issue, and accept homosexuals into the fullness of the faith without need of abstinence, rejection or forgiveness.

I see also, that more and more of the more liberal denominations are at least not condemning homosexuals - some are even performing wedding ceremonies, at the risk of losing their ordination.

And, what about the role of women in ministry? In many denominations of Protestant and all of Catholic churches, women assume a secondary role in the Church under the "headship" (Paul's word) of men. Is it not time for this to evolve? For cryin' out loud - which gender tends to drive the bus on the issue of which church to attend? I would think at the least, it would make economic sense to allow women to become full members of the Church.

NORM
      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver
        And if your say-so is all the evidence you can offer, I'll take my chances that I'm making a mistake in not believing you.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Too bad, so sad.
        What is especially bad and sad is someone thinking that people who won't believe what he says just because he says it are so deserving of his pity.

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
          While thoroughly fascinating, perhaps the discussion of "divine revelation" is best suited to another thread.
          I'll start one, but I couldn't resist one parting shot in this thread.

Comment

While thoroughly fascinating, perhaps the discussion of "divine revelation" is best suited to another thread.

I'm interested in any Christians who are anticipating the next evolutionary step in the religion.
            And in these two lines your perspective is perfectly encapsulated. You're only interested in conversations that promote your preconceived notions of what "evolved" religion looks like. You wouldn't recognize real aggiornamento ("bringing-up-to-date," a term St. John XXIII used to describe what he hoped Vatican II would accomplish) if it came up to you, introduced itself, and gave letters of introduction from every competent theologian of the past century.

For example, the Bible quite clearly condemns homosexuality in both the Jewish Testament and the Christian Testament (although it is more clearly condemned in the Tanakh). Since modern society is abandoning this condemnation due to the realization that homosexuals are born that way and it is not a "lifestyle choice," - or; sin - should the dogma of Sola Scriptura be abandoned, since the book is clearly wrong in this instance?
            Your conclusion does not follow from your premises r.e. homosexuality. Even with that failure of logic aside, you have a failure of fact: sola scriptura is not and never has been dogma. It has been a belief of Protestants for about 500 years, but it's never been pronounced dogma-- to my knowledge-- in any denomination that actually uses the word.

And, what about the role of women in ministry? In many denominations of Protestant and all of Catholic churches, women assume a secondary role in the Church under the "headship" (Paul's word) of men. Is it not time for this to evolve? For cryin' out loud - which gender tends to drive the bus on the issue of which church to attend? I would think at the least, it would make economic sense to allow women to become full members of the Church.

NORM
            Is a man who is not a priest a full member of the church? Don't be such a clericalist.

It would be nice if you actually understood the theologies of the groups you're criticizing. It might make your critiques... you know... interesting. Christianity, and even historical Judaism, is built up around an encounter-- a deep personal relationship with the divine, not just an ethical "message". The sort of religion you suggest will never do more than tread water and so it will get swept along with every passing cultural current.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              That is quite a claim!?!?!?!
              One made by every Christian.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                One made by every Christian.
                I do not believe every Christian claims Divine Revelation. You are defining far differently then I. Looking forward to discussing it in the other thread.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

The next evolutionary step in the religion would be a descent into primitivism. A Kony type of muscular Christianity. People like you would almost certainly be beheaded on sight.

Or, is the consensus that the faith is complete as is - no need to adjust core beliefs to a scientifically and culturally aware 21st century pew muffin?
                  Scientifically and culturally aware 21st century individuals understand the wisdom earned through generations of bloodshed. The faith will not be complete until the end, but the things people like you demand are not completion, but unraveling.

The condemnation of homosexuality never had anything to do with whether it was a "lifestyle choice" or whether you were "born that way".

Reformed Jews have altered their thinking on this issue, and accept homosexuals into the fullness of the faith without need of abstinence, rejection or forgiveness.
                  So what you're saying is that you won't be able to take a single step in hell without bumping into a Reformed Jew.

I see also, that more and more of the more liberal denominations are at least not condemning homosexuals - some are even performing wedding ceremonies, at the risk of losing their ordination.
                  Liberal denominations both have trouble retaining converts (why bother? Agnosticism has a better benefits package) and poor birth rates, so they tend to self-destruct in the long run. I'm not sure why following in their footsteps is such a big deal.

NORM
                  Indulgences also make economic sense.

On a more serious note though, the above statement is an implicit endorsement of status whoring, which has no place in a church. If you can't consider yourself a full member of a church unless you are eligible for priesthood then you are the one with the problem.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I do not believe every Christian claims Divine Revelation. You are defining far differently then I. Looking forward to discussing it in the other thread.
                    If you do not claim Divine Revelation then you are not a Christian.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      If you do not claim Divine Revelation then you are not a Christian.
                      It is abundantly clear I am not a Christian. I am a Baha'i. I do not believe that individuals can claim 'Divine Revelation.' I believe that Christians believe in the 'Divine Revelation' of Jesus Christ.

Frank

Comment

It is abundantly clear I am not a Christian.
                        Man you're narcissistic to the point of high comedy. What makes you think my comment was about you personally? You said "I do not believe every Christian claims Divine Revelation." That's what I was responding to. I never said I was talking about you personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          And in these two lines your perspective is perfectly encapsulated. You're only interested in conversations that promote your preconceived notions of what "evolved" religion looks like.
                          Well, that's not true. I can't help it that only a few have bothered to describe how they think religion has evolved. I described the experience in Judaism, and I don't believe I've said that it is the only way. I am anxiously awaiting your response.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          You wouldn't recognize real aggiornamento ("bringing-up-to-date," a term St. John XXIII used to describe what he hoped Vatican II would accomplish) if it came up to you, introduced itself, and gave letters of introduction from every competent theologian of the past century.
                          Yes, actually Vatican II is a perfectly good example of some evolutionary changes (consequential, I'm sure) to the sacrament of Mass. But, I don't believe Vatican II addressed much substantive theological change. I could be wrong, but I think it was much later that the Catholic Church accepted evolution as compatible with Catholic teaching on Creation.

Your conclusion does not follow from your premises r.e. homosexuality. Even with that failure of logic aside,
                          What failure? That the a Bible doesn't teach homosexuality is a sin, or that homosexuality is an orientation one is born with?

... you have a failure of fact: sola scriptura is not and never has been dogma. It has been a belief of Protestants for about 500 years, but it's never been pronounced dogma-- to my knowledge-- in any denomination that actually uses the word.
                          OK, let's not get hung up over semantics. Core beliefs. How's that? Would you not say that Sola Scriptura is a Core Belief of most Protestant denominations? Just as trinitarianism, virgin birth, etc.?

Is a man who is not a priest a full member of the church? Don't be such a clericalist.
                          I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean, here. What is a "clericalist?" I was talking about women in the Church. In Paul's letters, men are said to have "headship" over women. Many Protestant and Catholic (especially) have this core belief. Do you think this is something that is evolving?

It would be nice if you actually understood the theologies of the groups you're criticizing. It might make your critiques... you know... interesting. Christianity, and even historical Judaism, is built up around an encounter-- a deep personal relationship with the divine, not just an ethical "message". The sort of religion you suggest will never do more than tread water and so it will get swept along with every passing cultural current.
                          I think I understand the religions just fine. I think your bluster is a smoke screen because you are either uncomfortable with the question, or don't have a good answer. Or, perhaps you think Christianity is complete as is and is in no need of evolving. If so, just say so rather than trying to obfuscate the discussion.

But, if you think it should stay the same; why?

NORM
                          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I definitely define Christian differently than do you. As far as I am concerned every Christian recognizes the Bible as divine revelation. You do not have to be an inerrantist to know that the Bible is divinely inspired.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Sorry, Darth, if you are talking to me. You are the only T-Webber I have on ignore, so I can't see what you post.

NORM

Comment

Religion, as man's effort, certainly may evolve. Truth does not evolve.

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                                It is a pity you have Darth on ignore. He handled this quite well.

I was born with a heterosexual bent. My early intent was to seek sexual pleasure with women. That was sin pure and simple. Just because I wanted something did not mean (and still does not mean) that it is acceptable. The same thing is true (equally true) for homosexuals. Sin plain and simple. The Bible has not been proved to be, nor is it, wrong in this instance. Since you are blind to Darth let me quote him.

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                The condemnation of homosexuality never had anything to do with whether it was a "lifestyle choice" or whether you were "born that way".

Comment