Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins weighs in against reading fairy stories to children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
    How exactly would time being infinite mess with the memory of God?
    Makes no sense and that's just the first part of his statement I don't get.
    Yeah! You think He'd get Alzheimer's disease or long term memory loss? One theory is that time itself didn't exist until the universe did, so...
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And broken clocks are correct twice each day
      It's stopped clocks. A broken clock may never be correct.

I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        And here I thought it was just me...
        Ah! But are you perhaps a little quick to mock.
        This is from Bertrand Russell (on the paradoxical nature of infinity):-
        “Tristram Shandy, as we know, employed two years in chronicling the first two days of his life, and lamented that, at this rate, material would accumulate faster than he could deal with it, so that, as years went by, he would be farther and farther from the end of his history. Now I maintain that, if he had lived for ever, and had not wearied of his task, then, even if his life had continued as eventfully as it began, no part of his biography would have remained unwritten. For consider: the hundredth day will be described in the hundredth year, the thousandth in the thousandth year, and so on. Whatever day we may choose as so far on that he cannot hope to reach it, that day will be described in the corresponding year. Thus any day that may be mentioned will be written up sooner or later, and therefore no part of the biography will remain permanently unwritten. This paradoxical but perfectly true proposition depends upon the fact that the number of days in all time is no greater than the number of years.”

Can you think of anything more appalling than eternity? How are you supposed to stay good for that length of time? My limit's about 30 minutes.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Ah! But are you perhaps a little quick to mock.
          This is from Bertrand Russell (on the paradoxical nature of infinity):-
          “Tristram Shandy, as we know, employed two years in chronicling the first two days of his life, and lamented that, at this rate, material would accumulate faster than he could deal with it, so that, as years went by, he would be farther and farther from the end of his history. Now I maintain that, if he had lived for ever, and had not wearied of his task, then, even if his life had continued as eventfully as it began, no part of his biography would have remained unwritten. For consider: the hundredth day will be described in the hundredth year, the thousandth in the thousandth year, and so on. Whatever day we may choose as so far on that he cannot hope to reach it, that day will be described in the corresponding year. Thus any day that may be mentioned will be written up sooner or later, and therefore no part of the biography will remain permanently unwritten. This paradoxical but perfectly true proposition depends upon the fact that the number of days in all time is no greater than the number of years.”

Can you think of anything more appalling than eternity? How are you supposed to stay good for that length of time? My limit's about 30 minutes.
          You can stop now.
          "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
          "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
          Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
            It's stopped clocks. A broken clock may never be correct.

I think your spring is wound too tightly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I think your spring is wound too tightly.
              I lost it some time back.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I think critical thinking is important. Especially on the internet. Unfortunately, the two concepts seem to be mutually exclusive most of the time. The internet surely is an interesting rabbit hole with twists and turns unlike any we have known before, in terms of "finding truth".

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bb...4-9493433.html

"It IS pernicious to inculcate supernaturalism into a child. But DO fairytales do that? It's an interesting Q. The answer is probably no."

— Richard Dawkins (@RichardDawkins) June 5, 2014
                Last edited by NotSoHumblePie; 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM.

Comment