Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins weighs in against reading fairy stories to children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I don't believe that non-rational, no conscious forces, could or did create rational, conscious beings. Why should I?
    You shouldn't, but this is largely because "create" is not a word that works in this context. The word itself implies agency of some kind, but there it does not effectively describe the ongoing process of function and growth within nature. When a pinecone falls, is fertilised, and germinates is this an act of creation?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      But you believe in an intelligent, eternal super-being. Unfortunately, eternity is over-rated. No matter how far back you go, there is always a finite time between then and now. Therefore God is not eternal. So how do you explain God?
      You should read up on infinities some time. That's not how it works.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

But you believe in an intelligent, eternal super-being. Unfortunately, eternity is over-rated. No matter how far back you go, there is always a finite time between then and now. Therefore God is not eternal. So how do you explain God?
        That makes no sense FF.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Palaeogrammatos View Post
          Which is virtually no different than seeing lightning strike a tree causing it to burn, and then starting a fire to basically replicate the results.
          Yes, but again - it takes intelligence to mimic nature. And intelligence is the very thing that needs to be explained.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Um... what?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That makes no sense FF.
              Imagine God trying to remember what He was doing an eternity ago. There is no such date even in God’s calendar. The idea of an eternal God makes no sense. Some theologians will say that God is outside time but that is just as meaningless as any other concept of this nature. It’s poetry about our condition. You just have to learn to keep it under control or it will control you.

I put the iron chariots quote in my signature to help put God in perspective.
              Last edited by firstfloor; 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Imagine God trying to remember what He was doing an eternity ago. There is no such date even in God’s calendar. The idea of an eternal God makes no sense. Some theologians will say that God is outside time but that is just as meaningless as any other concept of this nature. It’s poetry about our condition. You just have to learn to keep it under control or it will control you.

I put the iron chariots quote in my signature to help put God in perspective.
                ...what?
                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                  ...what?
                  And here I thought it was just me...

Comment

And here I thought it was just me...
                    How exactly would time being infinite mess with the memory of God?
                    Makes no sense and that's just the first part of his statement I don't get.
                    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                      How exactly would time being infinite mess with the memory of God?
                      Makes no sense and that's just the first part of his statement I don't get.
                      You expect First Floor to make sense? That was your first mistake.

Comment

Imagine God trying to remember what He was doing an eternity ago.
                        Still no. A line is infinite in both directions, but a line segment still has a finite length. Try again.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          You expect First Floor to make sense? That was your first mistake.

Well to be fair, sometimes he does.

Comment

Well to be fair, sometimes he does.
                            And broken clocks are correct twice each day

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And broken clocks are correct twice each day
                              not this one...

Comment

You guys are hard!

Comment