Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Extra-terrestrial life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra-terrestrial life

I posted a thread on Naturalism but of course that is for atheists only.

What do those who hold with a created world make of the latest discovery on Venus? If the phosphine [PH3] found in its atmosphere is identified to be biological in origin what does that tell us about the Judaeo-Christian belief of the creation?

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-venus-harbour-life.html
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

What do those who hold with a created world make of the latest discovery on Venus? If the phosphine [PH3] found in its atmosphere is identified to be biological in origin what does that tell us about the Judaeo-Christian belief of the creation?

I believe this discovery is a bit overrated and a bit of a stretch, except for the possibility of subsurface life that went underground when Venus got hot and dry. Mars and the moon of Jupiter are far better candidates.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      I believe this discovery is a bit overrated and a bit of a stretch, except for the possibility of subsurface life that went underground when Venus got hot and dry. Mars and the moon of Jupiter are far better candidates.
      Why is it there then and in such quantities? I quite agree that this is far from cut and dried but it opens up a fascinating area of research.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why is it there then and in such quantities? I quite agree that this is far from cut and dried but it opens up a fascinating area of research.
        Do not know, but I gave the possibility of sub-surface life venting gases. Live possibly lived on the surface when Venus was wetter and not so hot and went underground.

I still consider Mars and a moon of Jupiter better candidates. The moon of Jupiter is the subsurface venting of organics.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

A thread on the discovery itself is here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-Life-on-Venus

As for ramifications... It doesn't affect my trust in Christ as my Savior in any way, shape or form whatsoever

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It would tell us that God made a universe where life is able to develop. But we knew that already.
            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              A thread on the discovery itself is here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...-Life-on-Venus

As for ramifications... It doesn't affect my trust in Christ as my Savior in any way, shape or form whatsoever
              Exactly! I mean, even if there's extraterrestrial life out there, we have no reason to suspect that God's plan for reconciliation and resurrection won't extend to them in some form or another. I'd totally be up for hanging out with some extraterrestial brothers and sisters in Christ post-resurrection!
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                Exactly! I mean, even if there's extraterrestrial life out there, we have no reason to suspect that God's plan for reconciliation and resurrection won't extend to them in some form or another. I'd totally be up for hanging out with some extraterrestial brothers and sisters in Christ post-resurrection!
                Why would you assume that a for reconciliation would be necessary?
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  More to the point, if indeed the levels of phosphine are indicators of life, do the microbes that create it go to hell? They have not heard the word or had a chance to repent and be born again after all!
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Over a decade ago the Vatican Observatory held a conference of scientists who are Christian, not just RCC, to discuss the possibility of alien life, including sentient life. The concept didn't make many waves among the participants in that the possibility was largely greeted with agreement that it was certainly possible. Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and the director of the Vatican Observatory, said that the issue raises "many philosophical and theological implications" and that if intelligent life were discovered elsewhere then they would also be considered "part of creation."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

More to the point, if indeed the levels of phosphine are indicators of life, do the microbes that create it go to hell? They have not heard the word or had a chance to repent and be born again after all!
                      Just like here on earth microbes are not sentient life and therefore are incapable of being fallen and in need of being saved.

Now whether or not any sentient life was also effected by Adam's actions and their result would be an entirely different question. I think it would depend on just how universally (no pun intended) it is meant when it says that all of creation was effected. After all, all doesn't always mean "all" ()

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        If they've got a capacity to make choices, then it's reasonable to assume they'd inevitably poop the bed like we have and done.

What can I say? If God's willing to take a shot on brain-dead skeptics like yourself, I imagine that he's at least willing to give, "The Old College Try," when it comes to slightly higher elevated forms of life like microbes on another planet. Speculation I know, but hey... I'm trying to be nice.
                        Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Out of The Silent Planet.
                          sigpic

Comment

If they've got a capacity to make choices, then it's reasonable to assume they'd inevitably poop the bed like we have and done.
                            So, your assumption is that ALL intelligent life has been created sufficiently flawed to get it wrong - as you believe happened at the Fall of Man.

What can I say? If God's willing to take a shot on brain-dead skeptics like yourself, I imagine that he's at least willing to give, "The Old College Try," when it comes to slightly higher elevated forms of life like microbes on another planet.
                            Well I reckon the chances are that God has taken a shot on extra-terrestrial intelligence in the universe. As Carl Sagan explained using the Drake equation the number of technological civilizations should literally number in the millions (in our galaxy alone) - astronomers estimate there are about 100 thousand million stars in our Milky Way galaxy. As well, the number of galaxies in the observable universe has been revised from a previous estimate of 200 billion to a suggested two trillion or more. So, statistically, it is highly probable that there IS considerable intelligent life in the cosmos albeit, far, far away. .
                            Last edited by Tassman; 09-17-2020, 01:05 AM.
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

That is indeed an assumption that I would hesitate at making since it seems pretty anthropomorphic. After all, humanity might be more akin to the son in Jesus' parable of the Prodigal Son.

Comment