// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you


This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Extra-terrestrial life

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Just like here on earth microbes are not sentient life and therefore are incapable of being fallen and in need of being saved.
    Lighten up rogue06 it was a joke.

    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Now whether or not any sentient life was also effected by Adam's actions and their result would be an entirely different question. I think it would depend on just how universally (no pun intended) it is meant when it says that all of creation was effected. After all, all doesn't always mean "all" ()
    [my emphasis] Do you mean "affected"?
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

    Comment


    • #17
      1) There is too little known about Venus and too little known about phosphine to get all excited about this. We've seen similar overreactions about molecular life "evidence" on Mars.
      2) Theologically, it means nothing. There is nothing scriptural about extraterrestrial life.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        Out of The Silent Planet.
        That whole trilogy explores the theological implications of intelligent life on other planets. Well worth reading.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          1) There is too little known about Venus and too little known about phosphine to get all excited about this. We've seen similar overreactions about molecular life "evidence" on Mars.
          It would be extraordinary if there was “molecular life” next door to us in our own solar system. But it’s possible.

          Conversely, given the sheer vastness on the known universe, the number of technological civilizations should literally number in the millions (in our galaxy alone). It consists of about 100 thousand million stars, most with their own solar systems.

          2) Theologically, it means nothing. There is nothing scriptural about extraterrestrial life.
          Of course not. Terrestrial life was all that was thought to exist in the geocentric universe of the scripture writers.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Lighten up rogue06 it was a joke.

            [my emphasis] Do you mean "affected"?
            indoobloobably

            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              indoobloobably
              I suspected as much.
              "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

              Comment


              • #22

                Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Conversely, given the sheer vastness on the known universe, the number of technological civilizations should literally number in the millions (in our galaxy alone). It consists of about 100 thousand million stars, most with their own solar systems.
                Have you read John Gribbin's The Reason Why? He makes a very good case that while life may indeed exist on other planets, advanced intelligent life [as in humans] may be limited to this planet.





                "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  Out of The Silent Planet.

                  That was a great trilogy by C.S. Lewis. I think That Hideous Strength was the best novel in the series.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

                  "Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Have you read John Gribbin's The Reason Why? He makes a very good case that while life may indeed exist on other planets, advanced intelligent life [as in humans] may be limited to this planet.

                    I haven’t read this book. Nevertheless, I find it difficult to believe that out of the vast number of galaxies and solar systems in the universe that Earth is the only planet to have evolved advanced intelligent life.

                    Research released in 2016 revised the number of galaxies in the observable universe from a previous estimate of 200 billion (2×1011) to a suggested two trillion (2×1012) or more and, overall, as many as an estimated 1×1024 stars (more stars than all the grains of sand on planet Earth). Astronomers estimate there are about 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way galaxy alone”.

                    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...the%20universe.








                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Have you read John Gribbin's The Reason Why? He makes a very good case that while life may indeed exist on other planets, advanced intelligent life [as in humans] may be limited to this planet.
                      There is a definite tendency for folks to conflate life with intelligent life. The former is almost a mathematical certainty whereas the latter is definitely not anywhere close to being one.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tassman View Post

                        I haven’t read this book. Nevertheless, I find it difficult to believe that out of the vast number of galaxies and solar systems in the universe that Earth is the only planet to have evolved advanced intelligent life.

                        Research released in 2016 revised the number of galaxies in the observable universe from a previous estimate of 200 billion (2×1011) to a suggested two trillion (2×1012) or more and, overall, as many as an estimated 1×1024 stars (more stars than all the grains of sand on planet Earth). Astronomers estimate there are about 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way galaxy alone”.

                        https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...the%20universe.







                        I take your point and I tend to agree. There are some lines in Carl Sagan's novel Contact, "All those billions of worlds going to waste, lifeless, barren? Intelligent beings growing up only in this obscure corner of an incomprehensibly vast universe?"[...]It dovetailed perfectly with human fears and pretensions, with unproved doctrines about life-after-death, with such pseudosciences as astrology. It was the modern incarnation of the geocentric solipsism, the conceit that had captured our ancestors, the notion that we were the centre of the universe."

                        However, we cannot ignore the possibility that, insofar as intelligent/human life is concerned, Gribbins' argument holds.
                        "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          There is a definite tendency for folks to conflate life with intelligent life. The former is almost a mathematical certainty whereas the latter is definitely not anywhere close to being one.
                          Hence Gribbins' book. Have you read it?
                          "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                            Hence Gribbins' book. Have you read it?
                            Don't think so but I remember reading one where the author showed, among other things, it would likely be far cheaper for a civilization to actually planet-scape a relatively nearby world so that it would suit their needs than to make repeated trips half way across the galaxy to get stuff. The point being even if there was intelligent life out there somewhere the odds of them coming here for some reason are infinitesimally small.

                            I'm always still in trouble again

                            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Don't think so but I remember reading one where the author showed, among other things, it would likely be far cheaper for a civilization to actually planet-scape a relatively nearby world so that it would suit their needs than to make repeated trips half way across the galaxy to get stuff. The point being even if there was intelligent life out there somewhere the odds of them coming here for some reason are infinitesimally small.
                              Do you have the title? As to our ever contacting another form of intelligent life [if such a species exists] I agree with you. The vastness of space makes it somewhat unlikely.
                              "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" Attrib. Seneca 4 BCE - 65 CE

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

                                Do you have the title? As to our ever contacting another form of intelligent life [if such a species exists] I agree with you. The vastness of space makes it somewhat unlikely.
                                Too many years back. When my eyesight still permitted me to read a book a day.

                                I'm always still in trouble again

                                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Esther, 09-27-2020, 02:01 PM
                                56 responses
                                259 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post thormas
                                by thormas
                                 
                                Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, 09-15-2020, 11:19 AM
                                49 responses
                                412 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Tassman
                                by Tassman
                                 
                                Started by shunyadragon, 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM
                                992 responses
                                53,983 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post thormas
                                by thormas
                                 
                                Started by showmeproof, 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM
                                91 responses
                                19,192 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post shunyadragon  
                                Working...
                                X